Dried Billywig stings were rumoured to be one of this sweet's ingredients. This idea was supported by the fact that being stung by a Billywig would make a person levitate for a short period. Although Fizzing Whizzbees were one of his favourite sweets, when Harry Potter learned they might contain animal parts, he wrote in his copy of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them that he would never eat them again.
The Honeydukes sweet shop in Hogsmeade stocked Fizzing Whizzbees in a large barrel. Ron Weasley described them to Harry Potter and Hermione Granger in high anticipation of their first weekend trip to Hogsmeade in December 1993.
Behind the scenes
- Fizzing Whizzbees are one of several Harry Potter tie-in sweets that have been manufactured. One reviewer said they are essentially the same as Pop Rocks.
- The Billywig sting ingredient may have been inspired by the many off-putting urban legends involving sweets, including the one that Bubble Yum, the world's first non-hard chewing gum, was made soft by the inclusion of spiders' eggs.
- In the films and the games, the name of the sweet is incorrectly spelled as 'Fizzing Whizbees'.
- Honeydukes at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter sells another version of Fizzing Whizzbees. They are chocolate bees with a fruity flavoured fizzy in the centre. They maintain the film version packaging with the incorrect spelling.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Appears in extra feature on Disc 2)
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (play)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Mentioned only)
- Wizarding World
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
- Harry Potter: Puzzles & Spells
Notes and references
- See this image.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 10 (The Marauder's Map)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 5 (The Dementor)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 23 (The Yule Ball)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 22 (St Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries)
- "Mini Review: Harry Potter Fizzing Whizbees" on CandyAddict.com
- "Spider Eggs in Bubble Yum" on Snopes.com