- "The incantation Flagrate causes a fiery red trail to be produced by the caster's wand."
- — Description[src]
Upon saying the incantation, the caster is able to move their wand to draw fiery lines in midair. It can be used to write text or symbols, and the writing lingers for some time after drawing it. The writing can be rearranged by the flick of a wand.
|Tom Riddle's soul||29 May, 1993||Tom Riddle's soul contained in his diary used this spell non-verbally in the Chamber of Secrets manipulating the trail to spell out his name-"Tom Marvolo Riddle", and rearranged the fiery letters with a flick of his wand into the message "I Am Lord Voldemort", thus revealing to Harry Potter his true identity as the infamous Dark Lord.|
|Hermione Granger||18 June, 1996||She used this spell to mark the repeatedly changing doors that she, Harry Potter and Ron Weasley had entered with a fiery "X" in the Entrance Room of the Department of Mysteries, in 1996. The usage of the spell allowed the group to continuously know which doors they had entered, and which ones they had not.|
The word Flagrate comes from the Latin words "flagro", meaning "glowing", or "blaze".
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First identified as Flagrate)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)