At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
- "Non-magic people (more commonly known as Muggles) were particularly afraid of magic in medieval times, but not very good at recognising it. On the rare occasion that they did catch a real witch or wizard, burning had no effect whatsoever. The witch or wizard would perform a basic Flame Freezing Charm and then pretend to shriek with pain while enjoying a gentle, tickling sensation."
- —A History of Magic on witch-hunts[src]
The Flame-Freezing Charm (incantation unknown) is a charm that alters the effects of fire such that instead of burning, it gives off a pleasant sensation, such as a warm summer breeze or a gentle tickling sensation. This basic charm works on living creatures and objects, but does not work on dead flesh, as no spell has been found to prevent dead flesh from burning.
|Wizards and witches of medieval times||Middle Ages||Used this spell when they were persecuted by Muggles to save themselves from being harmed when they were burned at the stake during witch-hunts. They feigned screaming in pain while experiencing a pleasant tickling sensation, thus allowing real witches and wizards to escape execution.|
|Wendelin the Weird||Middle Ages||Enjoyed the sensation of the charmed flames so much that she allowed herself to get caught and burned at the stake at least forty-seven times in varying disguises.|
|An actor playing Crapaud||Unknown||A wizard in "an ill-fated" act of Malecrit's Alas, I've Transfigured My Feet used this to protect himself from engulfing flames whilst delivering the play's final, rousing speech.|
|Albus Dumbledore||1938||Dumbledore would have used this spell combined with the Fire-Making Spell on the wardrobe of Tom Riddle to prove that he was in fact a wizard.|
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Possible appearance)
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (Mentioned only)