- Garrick Ollivander: "Yes, nine and a half inches... inflexible.. rosewood... and containing... dear me.. "
- Fleur Delacour: "An 'air from ze 'ead of a veela. One of my grandmuzzer's."
- — Ollivander weighing Fleur's wand[src]
The hair was donated by Fleur's grandmother. When her wand was weighed by Mr Ollivander during the Triwizard Tournament, in which Fleur was the Beauxbatons champion, Ollivander used it to conjure flowers.
Fleur used this wand in all three tasks of the Triwizard Tournament. When facing the Common Welsh Green dragon she used a charm to make it sleepy, and cast the Water-Making Spell to put out her skirt when it caught fire. She used this wand to cast the Bubble-Head Charm for the Second Task at the Black Lake. She would have also wielded it during the Third Task, and during the Second Wizarding War including the Battle of the Seven Potters and the Battle of Hogwarts.
Behind the scenes
- It is unknown who manufactured her wand, but it may have been a French wandmaker.
- Fleur's wand is quite unique in the series; it's one of very few known wands containing a core not used by Garrick Ollivander (the Elder Wand and Salazar Slytherin’s wand also use unique cores, and some North American wizards and witches use other materials). Indeed, it seems the materials were chosen for their beauty (Veelas have otherworldly beauty, while rosewood is prized for its rich-coloured timber). What this says about the quality of her wand is uncertain; one may note she came in last place overall in the Triwizard Tournament.
- As the hair in Fleur's wand came from her grandmother, it is possible her wand was custom-made for her rather than simply purchased.
- In Slavic mythology, some legends claim that if even one of a Veela's hairs is plucked, she will either die or be forced to change into a non-human shape.
- Rosewood is commonly used in furniture and instrument-making, and an oil extracted from one species is used in perfume.
- These uses could relate to Fleur's femininity and beauty.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 18 (The Weighing of the Wands)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 20 (The First Task)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 26 (The Second Task)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 31 (The Third Task)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 4 (The Seven Potters)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 5 (Fallen Warrior)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 31 (The Battle of Hogwarts)