Contrary to the claims of Draco Malfoy and his gang, which were designed to attack Hagrid and his quality as a professor (although he was doing a pretty good job of that himself), Flobberworms did not possess teeth and thus did not bite.
- "Nobody really liked Care of Magical Creatures, which, after the action-packed first class, had become extremely dull. Hagrid seemed to have lost his confidence. They were now spending lesson after lesson learning how to look after flobberworms, which had to be some of the most boring creatures in existence. 'Why would anyone bother looking after them?' said Ron, after yet another hour of poking shredded lettuce down the flobberworms' throats."
- —Ron gripes about looking after the flobberworms.[src]
When he taught Care of Magical Creatures, Silvanus Kettleburn normally covered them in third year classes. However, as in the 1986–1987 school year, Severus Snape needed them for Potions, students who started learning the subject in 1986 did not get them covered in the class until their fifth year.
After losing his nerve during the Hippogriff debacle in his first Care of Magical Creatures lesson during the 1993–1994 school year, Rubeus Hagrid had his third year students raise Flobberworms for a term. The exercise was completely pointless, as they prefer to be left alone and to do nothing. They didn't require much care, although they seemed unable to control how much food they needed as they will die if overfed.
In the 1996–1997 school year, Snape's first detention of the year for Harry Potter involved sorting out rotten flobberworms from fresh ones, to be used in Potions, with him requesting Harry need not bring protective gloves.
During the Calamity in the 2010s, several Foundable Flobberworms could be found trapped in large magical green bubble Confoundables. Volunteer members of the Statute of Secrecy Task Force had to release these Flobberworms from containment using the Severing Charm to return the Flobberworm Foundables to their original place.
Usage in potions
- "The mucus from the Flobberworm is sometimes used to thicken potions."
Flobberworm Mucus is a green and slimy substance commonly used as a thickener in many potions. A popular and useful ingredient, it used in the Wiggenweld Potion, Herbicide Potion, and the Sleeping Draught for example.
To flobber means "to sag and wobble".
Behind the scenes
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Peter Pettigrew offered to have himself turned into a flobberworm while begging Sirius and Remus not to hand him over to the Dementors (which is ironic as his nickname is Wormtail).
- In several of the video games, Flobberworm mucus is used as an ingredient to the Wiggenweld Potion, which will give stamina to the player in both the console games and the PC games:
- In both the PC versions of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game), Harry is allowed at a point in the game to collect the mucus for the potion. Meanwhile, the GBA version of the former actually has Harry do so in Hagrid's garden, but with a flute as a lure.
- You are able to use Flobberworm Mucus in potions on Pottermore.
- Showing remarkable continuity, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game) has Harry actually create the potion itself in the Potions Club, using exactly the same ingredients that Snape listed in the first video game.
- Despite not being mammals, flobberworms are apparently capable of perspiring.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film) (Mentioned in newspaper article)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game) (Mentioned only)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (DS version only) (Mentioned only)
- Wonderbook: Book of Potions
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
Notes and references
- ↑ Wonderbook: Book of Spells - see video
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- ↑ Wonderbook: Book of Spells
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 5, Chapter 31 (After the Vault) - Care of Magical Creatures Lesson "Flobberworm"
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 8 (Flight of the Fat Lady)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 11 (Hermione's Helping Hand)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
|Care of Magical Creatures|
|Care of Magical Creatures at Hogwarts|
|Hagrid's Hut · Forbidden Forest · Care of Magical Creatures classroom · Magical Creatures (club)|
|Professors||Silvanus Kettleburn · Rubeus Hagrid · Wilhelmina Grubbly-Plank (substitute teacher)|
|Textbooks||The Monster Book of Monsters · Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them|
|Creatures studied at Hogwarts|
|Blast-Ended Skrewt · Bowtruckle · Chimaera · Crup · Diricawl · Fairy · Fire Crab · Flobberworm · Fwooper · Glumbumble · Hippogriff · Jackalope · Knarl · Kneazle · Moke · Murtlap · Niffler · Porlock · Fire Dwelling Salamander · Streeler · Thestral · Unicorn|
|Magical Creatures by classification|
|X||Flobberworm · Horklump|
|XX||Augurey · Bowtruckle · Chizpurfle · Clabbert · Diricawl · Fairy · Ghoul · Gnome · Grindylow · Imp · Jobberknoll · Mooncalf · Porlock · Puffskein · Ramora · Winged horse|
|XXX||Ashwinder · Billywig · Bundimun · Crup · Doxy · Dugbog · Fire crab · Fwooper · Glumbumble · Hippocampus · Hippogriff · Hodag · Jarvey · Knarl · Kneazle · Leprechaun · Lobalug · Mackled Malaclaw · Moke · Murtlap · Niffler · Nogtail · Pixie · Plimpy · Pogrebin · Red Cap · Salamander · Sea serpent · Shrake · Streeler · Winged horse|
|XXXX||Centaur · Demiguise · Erkling · Erumpent · Golden Snidget · Graphorn · Griffin · Hidebehind · Kappa · Kelpie · Merpeople · Occamy · Phoenix · Re'em · Runespoor · Snallygaster · Sphinx · Tebo · Thestral · Thunderbird · Troll · Unicorn · Winged horse · Yeti|
|XXXXX||Acromantula · Basilisk · Chimaera · Dragon · Horned Serpent · Lethifold · Manticore · Nundu · Quintaped · Wampus cat · Werewolf|