1996-1997 school year
- "The ceiling and walls had been draped with emerald, crimson and gold hangings, so that it looked as though they were all inside a vast tent. The room was crowded and stuffy and bathed in the red light cast by an ornate golden lamp dangling from the centre of the ceiling in which real fairies were fluttering, each a brilliant speck of light."
- —Slug Club Christmas party that Flora attended[src]
Flora was sorted into Slytherin House along with her identical twin sister, Hestia, at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry at the age of eleven, and became a member of the Slug Club in the 1996-1997 school year.
Flora and her sister were seemingly quiet at Slug Club meetings, and both had a fondness for the colour green, which they wore not only as part of their House robes, but by their choosing, as reflected by the formal dresses they wore to the Slug Club Christmas party.
1997-1998 school year
- "Before Harry could speak, there was a massive movement. The Gryffindors in front of him had risen and stood facing, not Harry, but the Slytherins. Then the Hufflepuffs stood, and almost at the same moment, the Ravenclaws, all of them with their backs to Harry, all of them looking towards Pansy instead, and Harry, awestruck, saw wands emerging everywhere, pulled from beneath cloaks and under sleeves."
- —Wands being turned on the Slytherin students moments before the battle[src]
Flora was present in the Great Hall prior to the Battle of Hogwarts when classmate Pansy Parkinson urged students to hand over Harry Potter to Lord Voldemort. At the beginning of The Battle of Hogwarts, Flora and her sister were seen departing to the Dungeons. It is not known if she lived through the battle, though it is highly likely given that her and her sister's natures are not battle-oriented, and thus they would likely have fled at the first chance.
"Flora" comes from the Latin flōs (meaning "flower"). Flora was also the name of a Roman fertility goddess whose domain was flowers, Spring, and youth. This goddess was not of Greek origin, unlike many Roman gods, instead coming from the lore of the Italic Sabine folk.
Behind the scenes
- This character is only introduced in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and Part 1 and Part 2 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
- Flora Carrow is portrayed by actress Amber Evans.
- Both she and her sister Hestia were likely invited to join the Slug Club due to their pure-blood heritage (and perhaps a devotion to Slytherin House, possibly indicated by their fondness for green). The Carrow family are one of the Sacred Twenty-Eight, meaning they are one of the twenty-eight pure-blooded families left in Great Britain.
- It is likely that the Carrow twins are related to Alecto and Amycus Carrow, as all four of them have Greco-Roman forenames and the same surname.
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 (As "Slytherin Twin #1")
Notes and references
- ↑ They must have been at least eleven years old to attend Hogwarts.
- ↑ World Exclusive Interview with J K Rowling
- ↑ The Carrow family wad listed as one of the Sacred twenty-eight familes. However, as she was born after the 1930s, there is a possibility that she was half-blood.
- ↑ Slytherin patches are visible on both girls' robes at 00:38 in this trailer for Half-Blood Prince.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 New original characters cast for Half-Blood Prince