Football is a Muggle sport that is played between two teams of eleven players with a spherical ball. It is played on a rectangular field of turf with a goal in the middle of each of the short ends. The object of the game is to get the ball in the goal using any part of your anatomy except your hands. The West Ham United Football Club team is the favourite of Dean Thomas. Football could be said to be the Muggle equivalent of Quidditch, in terms of popularity.
Alasdair Maddock was a Chaser for the Montrose Magpies who once "tried football for a laugh." He later contributed to a loss against the Kenmare Kestrels because he attempted to incorporate techniques from Muggle football into his playing style.
Behind the scenes
- In Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Dean Thomas yells for a red card when Harry Potter was almost knocked off his broom in a Quidditch match. A red card is used to send off a player for a serious foul. Ron did not know what a red card was.
- Because "football" means something different in the United States and Canada, the sport is called "soccer" in the American editions.
- City a football club, is mentioned in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game).
- Though Ron compares the sport of Quidditch to football in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, author J. K. Rowling has stated that she did not base the sport of Quidditch on any real life sport, further stating that to call the sport "soccer-like" is "nonsensical to anybody familiar with the rules of both games." She stated that Ron was only referring to the sport's immense popularity when making the connection.
- The Quaffle is described as being "football-sized."
- Football cards are collectible cards that depict football players.
- When Ron Weasley and Vernon Dursley were shouting to each other on the telephone, it was said it was as though they were speaking to each other from opposite ends of a football field.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Mentioned as 'muggle football' in Daily Prophet)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game) (Mentioned only)
- Daily Prophet Newsletters
Notes and references
- ↑ Daily Prophet Newsletters
- ↑ J.K. Rowling Official Site Rubbish Bin - Mouldy - Hailes "Undoubtedly a Primitive Forerunner of Quidditch", available via Internet Archive
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 8 (Flight of the Fat Lady)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 1 (Owl Post)