|"Are you a wizard or not?"
The title of this article is conjectural. Although it is based on canonical information, the actual name is a conjecture and may be supplanted at any time by additional information released from canonical sources. If this occurs, please move this page to the appropriate title.
|"I show not your face but your heart's desire."|
Mr Longbottom was born sometime before 1947 into the Longbottom family, an old British pure-blood family, considered to be one of the Sacred Twenty-Eight. He had one known sibling, a brother, Algie, and may have had others.
He died sometime between 1980 and 1995. His grandson, Neville, witnessed his death, thus enabling the boy to see Thestrals at a young age. Neville revealed as much to Hagrid and Dolores Umbridge during her time evaluating a Care of Magical Creatures lesson.
Behind the scenes
- Neville states in The Queen's Handbag that, in 1947, his "granddad" put a fanged gerbil into Augusta's handbag as a joke, prompting her to keep a mousetrap in her bag at all times thereafter. It is likely that this refers to Mr Longbottom, rather than to Neville's maternal grandfather, i.e. Alice Longbottom's father.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First mentioned)
- The Queen's Handbag (Possible mention)
- LEGO Dimensions (Mentioned only)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
- Wizarding World (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- In The Queen's Handbag, Neville says he had a grandfather who put a fanged gerbil in his grandmother's handbag in 1947. If he is the husband of Augusta, then he would have been born before 1947.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 21 (The Eye of the Snake)
- Writing by J.K. Rowling: "Pure-Blood" at Wizarding World
- Writing by J.K. Rowling: "The Quill of Acceptance and The Book of Admittance" at Wizarding World on Pottermore states that Neville had "disappointed great aunts and uncles." Algie and Enid are Neville's only known great-aunt and great-uncle. Thus, Neville must have had at least one other great-aunt and one other great-uncle in addition to them, who could potentially be unknown siblings of Mr Longbottom and Algie.