Freddie Stroma is an English actor and model, who is best known for his portrayal as Cormac McLaggen, the aggressive and self-assured Gryffindor seventh year, in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. He reprised this role in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2.
Freddie Stroma was born, Frederick Sjostrom, in London, England on 8 January, 1987. Although he was born in London, he was educated at the boys-only boarding school Radley College and was the middle child of three with an older sister and a younger brother. According to the man himself, "I'm the crazy one in the family. When I was young, I never really thought I would go into acting. At that age I wanted to be a ninja, but the dream to be an actor started when I was sixteen."
His aspiration came true when he was accepted into the highly prestigious National Youth Theatre, which has led to five prominent acting roles (Mayo, Casualty, The Last Flight to Kuwait, Lady Godiva and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince).
Besides his polite manners, athleticism and charming good looks, Stroma also has an academic streak, studying for a degree in Neuroscience before taking up acting full-time. After taking a year long break from his studies to film, Stroma went back to school to finish his degree as it "would have been a shame to just throw it away." He earned a second class neuroscience degree from the University College of London in June.
Freddie got his first leading role in Warner Bros. direct to DVD film A Cinderella Story: Once Upon A Song along with Pretty Little Liars starlet, Lucy Hale which was released on September 6, 2011.
|2017||Time After Time||H. G. Wells||Lead role|
|2011||A Cinderella Story: Once Upon A Song||Luke|
|2010||Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1||Cormac McLaggen|
|Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince||Cormac McLaggen|
|2007||The Last Flight to Kuwait||Gregor Schatz|
|2006||Casualty||James Huppert||Episode "Happy Hour"|
|2006||Mayo||Lucas Harper||Episode 7|
Behind the scenes
- Freddie has a ridiculously sweet tooth. "I have a lot of candy and I usually pick-n-mix, which is a killer, and Haribo is pretty good as well. But cookies and milk are pretty standard for me. I have a lot of it. I'm quite a bit shocked how much I haven't grown up in that sense."
- He does not have any particular dancing moves, but desperately likes trying to do Michael Jackson moves jokingly with his friends.
- In the Acne modelling video he was in, he had to dance barefoot to music that he didn't know. He has "not heard the end of it from my rugby friends since that was released."
- He has a girlfriend of two and a half plus years. The two met at school, and he calls her "quite lovely and a supportive girl."
- Unlike his brash romance skills onscreen as Cormac McLaggen, Freddie is personally more of a sensitive romantic. "For me it's the sweet gestures like the little things in life that I can do when I am with someone. It's just about constantly reminding them how much they mean to me. ... Saying the 'L-word' everyday, that's the one that everyone is terrified of but don't need to be."
- The scene he loved the most in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince was when he was slowly licking his fingers and looking at Hermione. When asked about his favourite scene, he added, "I've not done that to a girl that I've fancied. It's just so disgusting!"
- In 2009, he graduated with a 2.1 BSc. Neuroscience Degree from University College of London (UCL).
- Freddie joined Twitter.com as freddiestroma July 15, 2009.
Notes and references
- CBBC Newsround reveal new Half-Blood Prince casting
- Freddie Stroma to return for Deathly Hallows
- Freddie Stroma on Wikipedia
- The Independent
- Meet Harry Potter Hottie Freddie Stroma - People
- Harry Potter Hottie Freddie Stroma Talks Life After Hogwarts. Celebuzz.com/.
- Freddie Stroma Cast in Bonnie Wright's Psychological Thriller The Philosophers. Snitchseeker.com/.