At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
The Freezing Spell (Glacius) was a charm that froze a target with icy-cold air created from the tip of the wand. This, in turn, could freeze water, extinguish fires, and cool off Fire Dwelling Salamanders.
The door to the Vault of Ice, one of the Cursed Vaults at Hogwarts Castle, was enchanted with this spell. In the 1985–1986 school year, when Rowan Khanna nearly entered it, they were attacked and went into a coma.
Professor Remus Lupin taught this spell to his third year class by hiding a spellbook somewhere behind a secret passageway in the classroom and having students find and read it. Later on that year, Professor Filius Flitwick also taught this spell to students and included it in the third year exams for charms class.
This charm had the unfortunate side-effect of making the breath of anyone nearby turn into thick white mist due to the extreme frigidity caused by the spell's casting. An object could be enchanted with this spell to attack a person when touched. An example was one of the Cursed Vaults at Hogwarts Castle.
Behind the scenes
- This charm can be bought at Wiseacre's Wizarding Equipment in Diagon Alley in LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4, and in Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes in LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7.
- During the lessons in LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 if the player irritates the Professor he/she will cast Glacius at the player and put him/her into a block of ice.
- In the console version of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game), Glacius is an Hermione-exclusive spell, taught in Defence Against the Dark Arts, while in the PC version the spell is Harry-exclusive, taught in Charms.
- When Harry tried to turn vinegar to wine incorrectly, he turned it into ice instead, possibly casting this spell by accident.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game) (GBA version only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Possible)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game) (Nintendo DS only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4, if the player disturbs any of the teachers, they will cast Glacius at them.
- ↑ LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- ↑ See this translation on Google Translate
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 24 (Sectumsempra)