At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
The Frog Choir was a singing group of Hogwarts students conducted by Professor Filius Flitwick. They usually practised in the Great Hall. The choir is quite talented, being able to both sing fluently in Latin as well as polyphonically.
The Hogwarts orchestra, also conducted by Filius Flitwick played alongside the Frog Choir sometimes. It played waltz music at the Yule Ball of 1994 before the Weird Sisters came rocking on stage. It also played The Hogwarts March before the beginning of the Third Task of the Triwizard Tournament that year.
The Frog Choir was presumably founded sometime during Celestina Warbeck's time at Hogwarts (1928-1936) as a result of her mother's frequent letters to the school demanding, among other artistic pursuits, a choir.
Tulip Karasu felt her toad Dennis to be depressed, and that joining the Choir might cheer him up; since Tulip admitted to be a terrible singer, she asked Jacob's sibling to audition with her toad. Jacob's sibling agreed to do so and after bonding with Dennis over several events, one of which was playing pranks on Madam Pince, practised with the Weird Sisters.
On 1 September 1993, the choir led a presentation of Something Wicked This Way Comes during the Welcoming Feast after the Sorting ceremony. The choir members sang while carrying toads (one of which was Trevor, Neville Longbottom's toad) which croaked during the song, and were accompanied by a harpsichord, a drum, a harp and flutes. While Filius Flitwick joined the feast, the choir retreated from the Hall after the song.
In 1995, Dolores Umbridge was put in charge of observing teachers and their lessons and inspected one of Flitwick's choir practices in the Great Hall. As she watched, Flitwick turned and smiled at her while conducting, as though waiting for her to praise the Frog Choir, though she just got out a pink measuring tape. She seemed pleased and impressed, before embarrassing Flitwick with a measuring tape.
In early October 1996, the choir had an emergency practice that forced Professor Flitwick to retreat from Hogsmeade Village back to Hogwarts Castle; it is unknown if there actually was a Choir Practice or if Flitwick was merely using it as an excuse to avoid Slughorn. At the end of the school year, Flitwick had a rehearsal with the choir in the Great Hall late in the evening. As they sang the English and Latin song, In Noctem, clouds rolled in around the school and the Battle of the Astronomy Tower was soon to begin. Midway through the session, Minerva McGonagall interrupted and told Flitwick to wake the incumbent Potions Master, Severus Snape.
- Double Trouble
- In Noctem
- Christmas at Hogwarts
- We Wish You a Merry Christmas
- The Most Magical Yule Ball of All
- I Cast a Spell on Father Christmas
- Filius Flitwick (conductor)
- Merula Snyde's mother
- Chester Davies
- Merula Snyde (possibly)
- Jacob's sibling (possibly)
- Celestina Warbeck (possibly)
- Unidentified Frog Choir member (I)
- Unidentified Frog Choir member (II)
Behind the scenes
- The name is a bit of a misnomer in that the students hold toads, which are similar to, but not the same as frogs.
- The choir does not appear in any of the books, making its first appearance in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. It was added by director Alfonso Cuarón and J. K. Rowling admitted that she simply loved the idea.
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, the non-canon character Bem is part of the Frog Choir.
- In Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, during a time-limited event to complete "The Frog Choir" Achievement, if the player reached Task 3 of the 4th Side Quest in time, they would be offered to be the new Choir member by Flitwick, having the option to accept or recommend Merula Snyde instead.
- In the GBC video game versions of Philosopher's Stone and Chamber of Secrets, there is one Music Classroom featured on the Fifth Floor of Hogwarts. Aside from used for classes Music and Muggle Music, it may be a possible place for the Choir to practise, though the choir is also known to practise in the Great Hall, as shown in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.
- During the opening celebrations of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, there was a performance of The Hogwarts March and Something Wicked This Way Comes by the Choir, directed by Warwick Davis, just like in the films.
- During festive season, frog choir performs a bunch of special Christmas songs, in the theme park, hogsmeade.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Pottermore (Possible appearance)
- Wizarding World (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: The Creature Vault (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
Notes and references
- Writing by J.K. Rowling: "Celestina Warbeck" at Wizarding World
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) - Chapter 8 (Welcome and Warning)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film) - Chapter 19 (The Yule Ball)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film) - Chapter 26 (The Enchanted Maze)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 3, "The Frog Choir" Achievement
- Prisoner of Azkaban script on IMSDb
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) - Chapter 13 (The High Inquisitor)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) - Chapter 11 (Cursed Necklace)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) - Deleted scene
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 3, "The Frog Choir" Achievement - Part 4, Side Quest "Take the Stage!"
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 3, "The Frog Choir" Achievement - Part 3, Side Quest "Singing to the Choir"
- In Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, during a time-limited side-quest, Jacob's sibbling has the option to get on the Frog Choir or suggest Merula as a member.