|"Are you a wizard or not?"
The title of this article is conjectural. Although it is based on canonical information, the actual name is a conjecture and may be supplanted at any time by additional information released from canonical sources. If this occurs, please move this page to the appropriate title.
This gang of Slytherins was a group of students who attended Hogwarts in the 1970s. According to Sirius Black, they were all in Slytherin House and most, if not all, became Death Eaters during the First Wizarding War. This group appeared to occasionally bully other students such as Mary MacDonald. They likely targeted Muggle-born students and blood traitors.
It was partially Severus Snape's relationship with this group that lead his friendship with Lily Evans to end. It is likely that they played a role in influencing his prejudice towards Muggles and his inclusion into the Death Eater ranks.
- Severus Snape
- Evan Rosier
- Bellatrix Black
- Rodolphus Lestrange
- Lucius Malfoy (possibly)
- Rabastan Lestrange (possibly)
- Regulus Black (possibly)
- Narcissa Black (possibly)
Behind the scenes
- It is mentioned by Sirius that Bellatrix was associated with this group, however according to the Black family tree, she was born in 1951. However, depending on which month she was born in she would have attended Hogwarts between 1962 and 1969 or 1963 and 1970, both which pre-date Severus Snape and Sirius's first year, 1971 making it impossible for Sirius to know this. It's likely an error as J. K. Rowling admitted that math is not her strong suit. Though it is possible that Bellatrix needed to repeat several school years.
- It is possible that Lucius was a member of the group, as he seems to be quite familiar with Severus Snape and he was known to have been at Hogwarts during the same time as the gang.
- It should be worth noting that none of these individuals attempted to help Snape when James and Sirius attacked him at the end of their fifth year. It is unknown why this is, however it is possible that the Marauders purposely waited until Snape was alone before deciding to attack him.
- This is further supported by Snape's assertion to Harry that James would only attack him when he had the other Marauders backing him up and Snape was alone.
- This gang may be a successor to Tom Riddle's gang. Besides being similar, both gangs have members from the Avery, Lestrange, Mulciber, and the Rosier families. Given both gangs relation to the Death Eaters this likely is not coincidental.