- "-he was part of a gang of Slytherin s who nearly all turned out to be Death Eaters ." -Sirius Black to Harry Potter, Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger
This Gang of Slytherins is a group of students who attended Hogwarts in the 1970s. According to Sirius Black, they were all in the Slytherin House and most, if not all, became Death Eaters during the First Wizarding War. This group appeared to occasionally bully other students such as Mary MacDonald. They likely targeted muggle-born students and blood-traitors.
It is partially Severus Snape's relationship with this group that lead to his friendship with Lily Evans to end. It's likely that they played a role in influencing his prejudice towards muggles and his inclusion into the Death Eater ranks.
- Severus Snape
- Evan Rosier
- Bellatrix Black
- Rodolphus Lestrange
- Lucius Malfoy (possibly)
- Rabastan Lestrange (possibly)
Behind the Scenes
- It is mentioned by Sirius that Bellatrix was associated with this group, however according to the Black Family Tree, she was born in 1951. However, depending on which month she was born in she would've attended Hogwarts between 1962 and 1969 or 1963 and 1970, both which pre-date Severus Snape and Sirius's first-year, 1971 making it impossible for Sirius to know this. It's likely an error as J. K. Rowling admitted that math isn't her strong suit.
- It's possible that Lucius Malfoy was a member of the group, as he seems to be quite familiar with Severus Snape and he was known to have been at Hogwarts during the same time as the gang.
- This gang may be a successor to Tom Riddle's Gang. Besides being similar, both gangs have members from the Avery Family, Lestrange Family, Mulciber Family, and Rosier Family. Given both gangs relation to the Death Eaters this likely isn't coincidental.