At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald and Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery.
- "Terminates all spell effects"
The General Counter-Spell (Finite or Finite Incantatem) is a counter-spell for general use. It may be used in duels to counter or reverse minor damage, such as the effects of minor jinxes and curses. It can also be used on an entire home to (temporarily) stop the effects of protective enchantments, as a precaution before a wizard answers the door. It is taught at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in second year's Charms class.
The General Counter-Spell terminates all spell effects ranging from simple spells like the Dancing Feet Spell to more complicated spells such as Atmospheric Charms, although it would be probably ineffective against moderate to major Dark spells although it is when cast by multiple people at once, capable of ending the effects of dark variation of the Shield Charm called Protego Diabolica even when the charm is cast with the Elder Wand by a person with extraordinary magical power. For example, the Jelly-Legs Curse needs a specific counter-curse to be performed to end it's effects. It's unknown if there is a difference between Finite and Finite Incantatem in terms of power or usage. It's possible that Finite is simply a more straight forward way of casting the General Counter-Spell to terminate the effects of a single spell.
|Newt Scamander, Theseus Scamander, Porpentina Goldstein, Yusuf Kama, Nicolas Flamel, various Aurors||1927||To seal off the black fire created by Gellert Grindelwald's Protego Diabolica inside the Lestrange catacombs.|
|Severus Snape||17 December, 1992||To end the various unfortunate spells that were affecting members of the Duelling Club when things got a little out of hand.|
|Nymphadora Tonks||1996||Used to free Harry from the Full Body-Bind Curse.|
|Remus Lupin||18 June, 1996||To take a Tarantallegra Hex off Neville Longbottom.|
|Harry Potter||2 May, 1998||To cancel the effects of Descendo (cast by Crabbe) on a large pile of objects.|
From Latin finire, meaning "to end", and incantationem, meaning "enchantment". Finite means 'end' (imperative).
Behind the scenes
- This spell is included in the Harry Potter: Spells application for the iPhone as a counter-attack spell.
- Hermione suggested in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows that Ron should try using Finite Incantatem to stop the rain in Yaxley's office.
- In the books, Nymphadora Tonks unfreezes Harry from the Full Body-Bind Curse with a flash of red light, which is presumably this spell. In the films, Luna Lovegood used "Finite" to unfreeze Harry and cause his Invisibility Cloak to fly off him.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (PSP version)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game), Level: The Abandoned Substation
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - The Original Screenplay
- Harry Potter: Spells
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 11 (The Duelling Club)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Pottermore
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 8 (Snape Victorious)
- ↑ J. K. Rowling's Official Site (W.O.M.B.A.T.)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 31 (The Battle of Hogwarts)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 36 (The Only One He Ever Feared)
|Grade 1 · Grade 2 · Grade 3 · Grade 4 · Grade 5 · Grade 6 · Grade 7|
|Charms included in the series: Fire-Making Spell · Levitation Charm · Locking Spell · Mending Charm · Softening Charm · Severing Charm · Unlocking Charm · Dancing Feet Spell · Disarming Charm · Engorgement Charm · Freezing Charm · General Counter-Spell · Memory Charm · Tickling Charm · Summoning Charm · Banishing Charm · Substantive Charm|