- "Ginger root contains many healing properties and can be used in a variety of brews including Beautification Potion."
Ginger (Zingiber officinale) is a flowering plant whose rhizome, ginger root is used in cooking as a highly-flavoured spice and in folk medicine. It is also used in Ginger Newts, and is also used as an ingredient in the brewing of several potions.
During fifth year Herbology class in the 1988–1989 school year on ginger roots, Pomona Sprout particularly emphasised that her favourite usage of the root of the plant, was to be added to Butterbeer, advising students to try it after class, with more comments about asking Rosmerta to add it into the drink when students would be having their next Butterbeer.
Behind the scenes
- "Ginger" is also a sometimes derogatory insult for people with red hair and freckles. Scabior, Fenrir Greyback, and a drunk man on Tottenham Court Road all referred to Ron Weasley by this term.
- Ginger produces a hot, fragrant kitchen spice. Young ginger rhizomes are juicy and fleshy with a very mild taste. Mature ginger roots are fibrous and nearly dry. Ginger also has several medical uses such as treating stomach issues, the common cold, and aches and pains.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (As ginger roots)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game) (PSP/NintendoDS version)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Daydream VR)
- The Road to Hogwarts Sweepstakes
- Wonderbook: Book of Potions
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (As ginger roots)
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite (As ginger roots)
Notes and references