The Girding Potion is a Potion that gives the consumer prolonged endurance. The maximum dosage is two vials. It presumably has a rather foul odour, as Hermione Granger noted when making it in 1996.
This is a potion learned in third year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Professor Snape had his class brew this potion.
The following recipe can be used to successfully make the Girding Potion:
- Add one set of fairy wings.
- Heat until the potion turns turquoise.
- Add one measure of doxy eggs.
- Heat until the potion turns pink.
- Add the toasted dragonfly thoraxes until the potion turns red.
- Heat until the potion turns blue.
- Add toasted dragonfly thoraxes until the potion turns silver.
- Heat the potion until it turns red.
- Add three measures of doxy eggs.
- Add some dragonfly thoraxes.
- Heat the potion until it turns blue.
- Add three flying seahorses.
- Heat until the potion turns green.
From the English "to gird" which can mean one of three things: to encircle or bind with a belt or band; to surround, enclose or hem in; to prepare oneself for action. The latter is probably the intended meaning, a reference to its effects.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
Notes and references