At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Wizards Unite. As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
For gameplay-specific information, please see the relevant article on the Harry Potter: Wizards Unite Wiki!
- "The champions will be chosen by an impartial selector: the Goblet of Fire. Anybody wishing to submit themselves as champion must write their name and school clearly upon a slip of parchment and drop it into the goblet, aspiring champions have twenty-four hours in which to put their names forward. Tomorrow night, Hallowe'en, the goblet will return the names of the three it has judged most worthy to represent their schools. The goblet will be placed in the entrance hall tonight, where it will be freely accessible to all those wishing to compete"
- —Albus Dumbledore introducing the Goblet of Fire in 1994[src]
After the students have finished placing their name in Goblet, the Goblet then chose one student from each school by spitting out their name in a rush of red flames. Once chosen the participants were subject to a binding magical contract in which they can not back out of the tournament.
The Goblet was described as being made of wood and — when active — has blue-white flames up to the edges, which turn red when someone puts their name in or when it spits the name of the chosen champions. When it was not in use, it was kept in a jewelled casket.
It acted as an impartial judge. During the 1994 tournament, an age restriction was added and as such, an Age Line was cast to ensure that no one under the minimum age could try to put their name into the goblet. Anyone who tried to do so with an Ageing Potion would end up hit with its flames and forced them to age even further as old men, as demonstrated by what happened to Fred and George Weasley when they tried to trick the goblet via that exact method.
Though it was an impartial judge, it can be bewitched to make decisions that transgress the rules. Since the goblet is a highly powerful magical artefact, it would require a Confundus Charm of equal or greater power to accomplish. After the champions are selected, it will extinguish itself and will not reignite until the next tournament.
The Goblet of Fire was created at an unknown time and by an unknown person. As many who knew about the Triwizard Tournament were unaware of its use in the competition in 1994, it had either been created rather recently, or so long ago that it was long-forgotten by the time it was unveiled once again in 1994.
The 1994 Triwizard Tournament
- "Finally, I wish to impress upon any of you wishing to compete that this tournament is not to be entered into lightly. Once a champion has been selected by the Goblet of Fire, he or she is obliged to see the tournament through to the end. The placing of your name in the goblet constitutes a binding, magical contract. There can be no change of heart once you have become a champion. Please be very sure, therefore, that you are wholeheartedly prepared to play before you drop your name into the goblet. Now, I think it is time for bed. Good night to you all."
- —Albus Dumbledore explaining the nature of the Goblet of Fire[src]
Albus Dumbledore drew an Age Line around the Goblet during the 1994 Tournament to prevent students under the age of seventeen from entering their name. However, the Goblet was fooled into thinking there were more than three schools competing by a powerful Confundus Charm cast on it by Barty Crouch Jnr, disguised as Alastor Moody.
This resulted in the selection of a fourth Champion, Harry Potter, into the Tournament alongside Cedric Diggory, Fleur Delacour, and Viktor Krum. The flames of the Goblet went out and would not ignite again until the next tournament, much to Igor Karkaroff's frustration, who wanted to reselect champions until each school had two representatives to even things out. It was later revealed that Crouch was working for Lord Voldemort as part of a plan to use Harry's blood to revive the Dark Lord.
- Angelina Johnson, Gryffindor house, unsuccessful.
- Cassius Warrington, Slytherin house, unsuccessful (rumoured to have entered).
- S. Fawcett, Ravenclaw house, underage, unsuccessful.
- Summers, Hufflepuff house, underage, unsuccessful.
- Fred Weasley, Gryffindor house, underage, unsuccessful.
- George Weasley, Gryffindor house, underage, unsuccessful.
- Several Durmstrang students, who were unsuccessful.
- Viktor Krum, Durmstrang Institute, selected as Durmstrang Champion.
- Cedric Diggory, Hufflepuff house, selected as Hogwarts Champion.
- Several Beauxbatons students, who were unsuccessful.
- Fleur Delacour, Beauxbatons Academy of Magic, selected as Beauxbatons Champion.
- Barty Crouch Jnr (as Alastor "Mad-Eye" Moody), entered as Harry Potter, selected as Champion of unspecified fourth school.
During the Calamity which affected the Wizarding world in the 2010s, the Goblet of Fire was amongst the various magical items which appeared across the world as one of many Foundables. These had to be overpowered by volunteer wizards and witches who worked for the Statute of Secrecy Task Force, to return these foundables to their original place.
Behind the scenes
- In the films, the Goblet is larger than in the books and Pottermore.
- The Goblet may possess an unknown degree of sentience, similar to such objects as the Sorting Hat. Beyond its mere ability to sort through applicants, this is further suggested by the fact that the Confundus Charm, whose purpose is to confuse a mind, could be used against it, albeit only by a wizard of great skill.
- What becomes of the Goblet afterwards is unknown, though it has been rendered effectively useless with the permanent discontinuation of the Triwizard Tournament.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault
- Harry Potter: The Creature Vault (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
Notes and references
|Objects & Locations: Goblet of Fire • Casket • Golden egg • Hedge Maze • Triwizard Cup|
|Schools: Beauxbatons • Durmstrang • Hogwarts|
|1994-1995 Triwizard Champions: Fleur Delacour • Viktor Krum • Cedric Diggory • Harry Potter|