Gondoline Oliphant (1720-1799) was a British witch made famous for studying the life and habits of trolls.
In 1799, she was clubbed to death in the Cotswolds while sketching. For her achievements in Magizoology, she was featured on a silver Famous Wizard card as part of the Chocolate Frog Card series.
- The surname Oliphant is derived from an archaic English word for "elephant." J.R.R. Tolkien included huge, elephant-like creatures known as oliphaunts in his novel The Lord of the Rings.
- The name Gondoline is perhaps a further nod to Tolkien: in the Silmarillion, there was an Elven city called Gondolin, which remained hidden for centuries before being destroyed.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Wizard of the Month
Notes and references
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.