Life at Gringotts
In 1997, Lord Voldemort and his Death Eaters took over the Ministry of Magic. Death Eaters and Voldemort's supporters started to meddle in the Bank, much to the Goblin workers' discontent, who did not want to work for wizards. Gornuk was amongst the rebellion, since he hated the prospect of living a life like a house-elf. Some goblins escaped from the Bank; among them was Gornuk.
Life on the Run
After escaping the Death Eaters, Gornuk met up with Muggle-born wizards Ted Tonks and Dirk Cresswell, and Dean Thomas, who were on the run from the Muggle-Born Registration Commission. He also met fellow escapee from Gringotts, Griphook. At one of their campsites, Harry Potter, Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley overheard the group talking about everything going on in the open wizarding world.
Gornuk, Griphook, Ted Tonks, Dirk Cresswell and Dean Thomas were eventually caught by a group of Snatchers. They tried to escape, but failed; Gornuk was killed during the struggle, along with Ted and Dirk. Dean Thomas and Griphook were captured by the Snatchers. The death of Gornuk was announced on Potterwatch by Lee Jordan.
Behind the scenes
- Gornuk is mentioned on the radio in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1; the radio announcer says two of his companions may have escaped capture after Gornuk was killed. The film, however, reports his death far sooner. It says that he died around the time of the murder of Mykew Gregorovitch, not the arrest of Xenophilius Lovegood. Because Gornuk's conversation with his fellow fugitives (book only) happens after Gregorovitch is found by Voldemort, this timing is not canon.
- Gornuk appears in the DS version of LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 despite not appearing in the film.
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game) (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 (DS version)