At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Hogwarts Legacy, Harry Potter: Wizards Unite, and Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery.
- "The Graphorn is found in mountainous European regions. Large and greyish purple with a humped back, the Graphorn has two very long, sharp horns, walks on large, four-thumbed feet, and has an extremely aggressive nature. Mountain trolls can occasionally be seen mounted on Graphorns, though the latter do not seem to take kindly to attempts to tame them and it is more common to see a troll covered in Graphorn scars. Powdered Graphorn horn is used in many potions, though it is immensely expensive owing to the difficulty in collecting it. Graphorn hide is even tougher than a dragon’s and repels most spells."
- —Newt Scamander, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them[src]
The Graphorn is large and hump-backed, with grayish-purple skin tougher than that of dragons. It can repel most spells, has two golden horns, and walks on large four-thumbed feet. Its mouth is made of tentacle-like appendages, that are used to grab food and put it in its mouth. It also uses these to show affection. It is said to resemble a sabre-toothed tiger.
The famous English Magizoologist Newt Scamander had the last pair of breeding Graphorns, along with two young Graphorns, in his suitcase during his visit to New York in 1926. In 1927, a Graphorn was one of the attractions for the wizarding Circus Arcanus, which toured Paris in 1927.
During the Calamity in the 2010s, several Fire Confoundables were guarding Graphorn Foundables. Volunteer members of the Statute of Secrecy Task Force had to overpower these Confounables using the Water-Making Spell to extinguish the fire and allow for the Graphorn Foundables to return to their rightful places in the Wizarding world.
Graphorn horns are highly prized potion ingredients and are used in potions such as the Antidote to Uncommon Poisons. Graphorns are sometimes used as mounts by Mountain Trolls, but the Graphorn strongly dislikes this - it is more common to see mountain trolls covered in scars from a Graphorn.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Mentioned only)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Daydream VR)
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World
- LEGO Dimensions
- J. K. Rowling's official site
- Wonderbook: Book of Potions (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (play) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
- Hogwarts Legacy
Notes and references
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts and where to Find them - Scene 47
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay
- ↑ Pottermore Twitter post
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - The Original Screenplay
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Act One, Scene Five
- ↑ Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- ↑ J. K. Rowling's official site
|Professor: Bathsheda Babbling|
|Textbooks: Advanced Rune Translation · Ancient Runes Made Easy · Magical Hieroglyphs and Logograms · Rune Dictionary · Spellman's Syllabary|
|Known Runes: Acromantula · Demiguise · Ehwaz · Eihwaz · Fwooper · Graphorn · Hydra · Quintaped · Runespoor · Salamander · Unicorn · Unknown · Mark of Merlin|
|Magical Creatures by classification|
|X||Flobberworm · Horklump|
|XX||Augurey · Bowtruckle · Chizpurfle · Clabbert · Diricawl · Fairy · Ghoul · Gnome · Grindylow · Imp · Jobberknoll · Mooncalf · Porlock · Puffskein · Ramora · Winged horse|
|XXX||Ashwinder · Billywig · Bundimun · Crup · Doxy · Dugbog · Fire crab · Fwooper · Glumbumble · Hippocampus · Hippogriff · Hodag · Jarvey · Knarl · Kneazle · Leprechaun · Lobalug · Mackled Malaclaw · Moke · Murtlap · Niffler · Nogtail · Pixie · Plimpy · Pogrebin · Red Cap · Salamander · Sea serpent · Shrake · Streeler · Winged horse|
|XXXX||Centaur · Demiguise · Erkling · Erumpent · Golden Snidget · Graphorn · Griffin · Hidebehind · Kappa · Kelpie · Merpeople · Occamy · Phoenix · Re'em · Runespoor · Snallygaster · Sphinx · Tebo · Thestral · Thunderbird · Troll · Unicorn · Winged horse · Yeti|
|XXXXX||Acromantula · Basilisk · Chimaera · Dragon · Horned Serpent · Lethifold · Manticore · Nundu · Quintaped · Wampus cat · Werewolf|