It was purchased by him (more likely his mother or father) prior to his first year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in the 1991–1992 school year. This wand was most likely manufactured by Garrick Ollivander and purchased from his wand shop Ollivanders, in Diagon Alley, London. In the 1992–1993 school year, Goyle sat in Transfiguration resting his head on his wand while Professor Minerva McGonagall told the class about how to transform animals into water goblets, with the spell Vera Verto.
Goyle was neither an exceptionally intelligent or gifted wizard and relied more on his physical strength and size than magical ability, so his wand typically went unused throughout his school life. This changed when Hogwarts came under the control of the Death Eaters, however. Goyle learned the Dark Arts under Amycus Carrow and proved to be a skilled Dark Wizard, using the Cruciatus Curse on fellow students who had earned detentions.
Goyle was disarmed in the Skirmish at the Room of Requirement during the Battle of Hogwarts, sending his wand flying out of his hand and into a pile of objects behind him. Goyle tried but failed to retrieve it and it was subsequently destroyed when Vincent Crabbe unleashed Fiendfyre in the room.
Behind the scenes
- In the second part of the film adaption of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Goyle unleashed the Fiendfyre (as Crabbe was omitted due to Jamie Waylett's drug charges). He is shown flicking his wand to try and stop the flames, which only results in more flaming creatures forming, before giving up and throwing it into the cursed fire.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- Wizarding World
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault