Madam Professor Griselda Marchbanks, CDMG, APMO, fdBB, (fl. 1899 - 2012) was a witch, who served as Governor of the Wizarding Examinations Authority that ran the O.W.L., N.E.W.T. and W.O.M.B.A.T. examinations from the late 19th century to, at least, the early 21st century. Before resigning in 1995, Madam Marchbanks was one of the Wizengamot elders.
At some point in her life, Marchbanks became a member of the Wizengamot and was, until 1995, one of its oldest members. She was also a friend of Augusta Longbottom, and was very much like her in terms of personality.
1995–1996 school year
Before the year began, Harry Potter (whom the Ministry had actively been trying to discredit along with Dumbledore) was brought before the Wizengamot to stand trial for using the Patronus Charm in the presence of a Muggle; the assembly likely included Madam Marchbanks. When Dumbledore appeared to defend Harry, two witches (possibly Marchbanks and another) waved at him in welcome, and when the verdict was to be given, she likely voted to clear Harry of all charges given her support for Dumbledore.
On 8 September 1995, with the passage of Educational Decree Number Twenty-Three, Dolores Umbridge was appointed High Inquisitor of Hogwarts School by then-Minister for Magic Cornelius Fudge. Professor Marchbanks, along with Tiberius Ogden, resigned from the Wizengamot in protest of Umbridge's appointment, declaring to the Daily Prophet that "Hogwarts is a school, not an outpost of Cornelius Fudge's office" and cited it as a "further disgusting attempt to discredit Albus Dumbledore". Marchbanks was also accused of having ties to "subversive goblin groups" on 9 September by the Daily Prophet. By this time, she was apparently hard of hearing and possibly somewhat senile.
Later that school year, Umbridge became Headmistress of Hogwarts. When Marchbanks arrived at the Castle with her colleagues from the W.E.A. to administer the Ordinary Wizarding Level Examinations, she showed no signs of respect for Umbridge, dismissing her attempts at flattery and expressing scorn at the belief that the Ministry could catch Albus Dumbledore. She examined a variety of students in Harry Potter's year, including Draco Malfoy in his Charms practical, Harry Potter in his Divination practical and all the fifth-years in the Potions and Astronomy practicals; during the latter, she likely witnessed the assault on Rubeus Hagrid and the near-fatal injury of Minerva McGonagall by Umbridge. It is not known whether she was reinstated in the Wizengamot after the Battle of the Department of Mysteries and subsequent sacking of Umbridge or not.
Marchbanks was said to be friends with Lucius Malfoy for many years, and in 1996, she went to Malfoy Manor for dinner. From the way Draco boasted about "it's who you know" and not "what you know", it was likely the dinner was arranged to win favour with Marchbanks and persuade her to award Draco a higher O.W.L. grade in the exam.
After the war
Behind the scenes
- Professor Marchbanks is ancient in age, as she examined Albus Dumbledore during his N.E.W.T.s in 1899. J. K. Rowling's W.O.M.B.A.T. claimed she was still working placing her approximate age today at least in her 130s, and possibly even older.
- Along with the other O.W.L. examiners, Professor Marchbanks was omitted from the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. However, Dolores Umbridge is seen supervising the Charms theory exam.
- In an early draft of the fifth film, Professor Marchbanks is male.
The name "Griselda" is possibly derived from the Germanic elements gris "grey" and hild "battle". It is not attested as a Germanic name. This was the name of a patient wife in medieval tales by Boccaccio and Chaucer.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Mentioned in the Daily Prophet)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Mentioned in the Daily Prophet)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film) (Mentioned in the Daily Prophet)
- J. K. Rowling's Official Site (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter Limited Edition (Mentioned in the Daily Prophet)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 31 (O.W.L.s)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 J. K. Rowling's Official Site
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 15 (The Hogwarts High Inquisitor)
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film) (see this image)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 28 (Snape's Worst Memory)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 31 (O.W.L.s) - "'Of course, it's not what you know,' he was heard to tell Crabbe and Goyle loudly outside Potions a few days before the exams were to start, 'it's who you know. Now, Father's been friendly with the head of the Wizarding Examinations Authority for years - old Griselda Marchbanks - we've had her round for dinner and everything . . .'"