The Grunnings office had at least nine floors, and a car park for the employees. Vernon's office was located on the ninth floor, where he worked alongside his secretary. The premises was also situated across the street from a bakery.
In 1992, Vernon Dursley entertained a prospective client, Mr Mason and his wife, at his home. He hoped to secure a large order of drills from Mason, but the evening was interrupted by Dobby the house-elf smashing a cake to the floor, an act that was blamed on Vernon's nephew, Harry Potter.
Behind the scenes
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, a photo of Vernon Dursley standing outside the Grunnings building can be seen on the wall of the staircase of Number 4, Privet Drive.
- Based on the photo, it seems to contradict the description in the novel, as it does not appear to be tall enough to house nine floors (where Dursley's office is). Though it may be the photo of the warehouse or storehouse of the company.
- The name "Grunnings" may have started as an onomatopoeia for the noise of a large drill in operation.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film) (Appears in photographs)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (Appears in photographs)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
- Wizarding World (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- On the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, an award prop was included on the 4 Privet Drive set saying "AWARDING VERNON DURSLEY FOR HIS 27TH YEAR OF EMPLOYMENT AT "GRUNNINGS" DRILL FACTORY". As the scene is set in 1995, this means Vernon had been working at Grunnings since 1968 or before (it is impossible to determine, since the award is not dated).
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 1 (The Boy Who Lived)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 2 (Dobby's Warning)