- Fred Weasley: "I don’t know why you’re worried, Oliver, Hufflepuff is a pushover. Last time we played them, Harry caught the Snitch in about five minutes, remember?"
- Oliver Wood: "We were playing in completely different conditions! Diggory’s put a very strong side together! He’s an excellent Seeker! I was afraid you’d take it like this! We mustn’t relax! We must keep our focus! Slytherin is trying to wrong-foot us! We must win!"
- Fred Weasley: "Oliver, calm down! We’re taking Hufflepuff very seriously. Seriously."
- — Oliver Wood and Fred Weasley arguing about preparations for the match[src]
The Quidditch match between Gryffindor and Hufflepuff took place in November 1993. Hufflepuff won when Cedric Diggory caught the snitch when Harry Potter fell from his broom due to the presences of Dementors.
- "At least a hundred dementors, their hidden faces pointing up at him, were standing beneath him. It was as though freezing water were rising in his chest, cutting at his insides. And then he heard it again.... Someone was screaming, screaming inside his head ... a woman ..."
- — Dementors having invaded the Quidditch pitch whilst this game was taking place[src]
The game was played in a downpour of rain, ferocious wind, thunder, and lightning. The wind was that powerful, the players staggered sideways as they walked onto the very muddy pitch. The sound of the thunder drowned out the crowd's shouts. Madam Hooch's whistle to start the match coincided with the first bolt of lightning. Harry's vision was hindered by the constant raindrops on his glasses and he was almost struck by a Bludger twice.
Gryffindor took the lead and were winning by fifty points. The captain of the Gryffindor team then asked for a time-out for the team to regather themselves due to the weather. When the game started again, both Cedric and Harry saw the snitch and both went after it to win the game. En route, at least one hundred Dementors arrived at the game and attacked Harry making him fall from his broom. He was saved by Albus Dumbledore. Cedric managed to win the snitch and then realised what had happened to Harry. Hufflepuff won the game by one hundred points. Harry’s Nimbus 2000 fell into the Whomping Willow and was destroyed.
- "Everybody said hi back except Fred and George, who merely nodded. They had never quite forgiven Cedric for beating their team, Gryffindor, in the first Quidditch match of the previous year."
- — Fred and George's bitterness towards Cedric for having beaten the Gryffindor team[src]
Cedric would later offer Gryffindor the chance to replay the game because he thought it was unfair that he won due to the Dementor. The offer was declined, but certain members of the team had a grudge against Cedric for the next year. Amos Diggory, Cedric's father, was very proud at Cedric for having beaten Harry Potter in a Quidditch match, although Cedric insisted to his father that he had won on unreasonable terms.
|Katie Bell||Angelina Johnson||Alicia Spinnet|
|Fred Weasley||George Weasley|
|Oliver Wood (Captain)||Harry Potter|
|Unknown||Cedric Diggory (Captain)|
Behind the scenes
- The game was the second one arranged for Gryffindor and Hufflepuff that took place in 1993, though the one played earlier in the year (during Harry's second year) was cancelled due to the opening of the Chamber of Secrets.
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Rionach O'Neal made a non-canonical appearance as one of the Gryffindor Chasers for this match.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Wizarding World