- "I entered a leafy glade, only to be confronted by a pair of prowling Gytrashes. These large dog-like spirits barred my way and so, whipping out my trusty wand, I cast Lumos to illuminate its tip, whereupon the Gytrashes retreated from the light and I was free to pass through the forest unmolested."
- — Gilderoy Lockhart, Marauding with Monsters[src]
The Gytrash was a large, dog-like spirit with a forked tail. This fast and dangerous brute ran wild throughout the woodlands of Great Britain, such as in the Forbidden Forest of Scotland and the New Forest in England, either singly or in groups.
Defence against Gytrashes
The Gytrash was very sensitive to light, and a simple Wand-Lighting Charm could be used to ward off Gytrashes. It was also particularly vulnerable to Red Sparks, but was resistant to the Fire-making spell, and the Verdimillious Charm.
Behind the scenes
- The Gytrash is a supernatural creature in English folklore, and is described as a black dog, that also sometimes takes the form of a spectral mule. It is similar, and possibly related, to the Grim.
- While the Gytrash features only in the Harry Potter video games, according to Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) producer Derek Proud, Gytrashes were part of the extra material not used in the books that was provided by J. K. Rowling during game development.
- Its Ministry of Magic Classification has not been given in canon, and although its description uses the word Spirit, it is part of the Beast Chocolate Frog Cards.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Gamecube/Xbox/PS2 Version only)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (First appearance) (Appears in console and GBC versions only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Appears on a Folio Bruti (GBA version only)) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) - (GBC version)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) - (Sixth-generation console version)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) - (Chocolate Frog Card)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Sixth-generation console version)
- Gytrash on Wikipedia
- Davies, Shari (December 2002). "Preview: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets". PC Powerplay, no. 80. Retrieved 2020-06-19.