At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald and Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery.
A half-goblin or part-goblin is a cross-breed between a goblin, whose ancestry accounts for their diminutive size, and a human.
Filius Flitwick who was sorted into Ravenclaw house at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, was a "model student" during his time there and eventually returned to the school to teach. It is possible that this was inherited from his goblin ancestor, as goblins are known for their intelligence (though whether this is a matter of cultural encouragement of cunning, or an actual genetic disposition, is unclear).
It is possible that certain spells and potions do not work on Half-goblins. For instance, it is unknown if Half-goblins can use Polyjuice Potion as this particular potion is designed for human transformations only, and therefore does not work on other beings. For instance, Polyjuice Potion is useless to any Half-Giant. However, because the potion is known to be effective on Part-Veelas, if their Veela ancestry goes back at least two generations, it is possible that Part-Goblins (and Part-Giants) whose ancestry goes further back than their direct parentage could use this potion.
Place in society
As half-breeds, half-goblins fall into the same prejudices that other half-breeds suffer. Dolores Umbridge was renowned for and later punished for crimes against half-breeds. On the other hand, the only known part-goblin, Filius Flitwick, is trained in the human magical arts, as shown by his carrying a wand, having attended Hogwarts and teaching there. This proves that part-goblins are allowed to carry wands and perform wand magic, and are not covered by the Wand Ban that forbids full goblins from using wands, though they would be capable of it.
- Filius Flitwick has a Goblin ancestor, though it is unknown how far back. Despite this, there were a number of Ravenclaw students who incorrectly believed that he was part elf, though they were never "rude enough to ask".
- Circus Arcanus half-goblins
Behind the scenes
- It is unknown if goblins can breed with Muggles, but since (after the Statute of Secrecy was installed) very few Muggles ever became aware that goblins even exist, this is a remote possibility.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Building the Magical World
- LEGO Harry Potter: Characters of the Magical World
- LEGO Harry Potter
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald