|"Is this all real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"
The topic of this article is of a real-life subject that has been mentioned "in-universe" in a canon source. The Harry Potter Wiki is written from the perspective that all information presented in canon is true (e.g., Hogwarts really existed), and, as such, details contained in this article may differ from real world facts.
- "A thousand live bats fluttered from the walls and ceiling while a thousand more swooped over the tables in low black clouds, making the candles in the pumpkin stutter."
- — The Great Hall on Hallowe'en[src]
Hallowe'en, a contraction of "All Hallows' Evening", is a holiday celebrated by both Muggles and the Wizarding World on 31 October. Typical festive Hallowe'en activities include; trick-or-treating, attending costume parties, decorating, carving pumpkins into jack-o'-lanterns, lighting bonfires, apple bobbing, visiting haunted attractions, playing pranks, and telling scary stories. This applies to the wizarding world also, but with their own magical twist.
The British Ministry of Magic has attempted to impose restrictions on how wizards are allowed to celebrate Hallowe'en, presumably in consideration to the International Statute of Wizarding Secrecy. Celestina Warbeck vocally disagreed with this proposed legislation, a move that was considered controversial on her part. At Hogwarts School, there is a feast every year on Hallowe'en and the first Hogsmeade weekend of the year usually occurs around the same day. Rubeus Hagrid grew enormous pumpkins for the feast by magic.
In 1984, Fenrir Greyback and his army attacked Hogwarts. Due to the attack, Headmaster Albus Dumbledore was absent from the Hallowe'en Feast. After many of the werewolves were captured during the following full moon, Dumbledore decided to hold the Hallowe'en Feast a second time.
In 1985, Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington's 493rd Deathday Party was co-hosted by Sir Nicholas and Erling in the Deathday Ballroom at Hogwarts. Jacob's sibling and Myrtle Warren attended the party and shared a dance.
In 1991, the first year Charms class topic was the Levitation Charm. Later, the Hallowe'en feast was interrupted by the arrival of a Mountain Troll. Harry Potter and Ron Weasley saved Hermione Granger from the Troll in the girls' bathroom.
In 1992, Sir Nicholas's 500th Deathday Party took place in the Deathday Party Hall. It was attended by many ghosts, Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, and Hermione Granger. Ginny Weasley, under the influence of Tom Riddle's Diary, opened the Chamber of Secrets for the first time in fifty years. The basilisk that was released from the Chamber petrified Mrs Norris.
In 1994, the Goblet of Fire chose the Triwizard champions — Viktor Krum for Durmstrang; Fleur Delacour for Beauxbatons; Cedric Diggory for Hogwarts; and an unexpected fourth champion, Harry Potter.
The Hallowe'en Feast at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry occurs on the 31st of October every year. The Hallowe'en Feast is usually festooned with sweets-filled pumpkins, bats, orange streamers, water snakes, goblets of coloured sweets and all sorts of Hallowe'en-related decorations. There is usually some entertainment at the end, which may be by the Hogwarts ghosts, who pop out of the walls and do formation gliding.
It is a highly anticipated feast which most Hogwarts students look forward to every year.
Behind the scenes
- Hallowe'en is a very important date in the Harry Potter books. Either during or after the feast in the first four books something fateful happens. The troll, the Chamber of Secrets re-opening, Sirius Black's attack on the Fat Lady, and Harry Potter's name emerging from the Goblet of Fire. In the seventh book, we discover that the date, 31 October is significant, as it is the date of James and Lily Potter's death in 1981. Finally, seeing as Neville Longbottom's and Harry's birthdays are, respectively, 30 and 31 July 1980, almost exactly nine months after 31 October 1979, it is likely that both were conceived on or around Hallowe'en.
- Hallowe'en can be also called "All Hallows' Eve" (meaning "All Saints' Eve", as 1 November is All Saints' Day), which shares part of its name with the Deathly Hallows. All Hallows' Eve was the date Harry first cheated death and defeated Voldemort, while the Deathly Hallows helped him cheat death and defeat Voldemort again with the Elder Wand.
- In Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, certain places at Hogwarts, including the common rooms and the Great Hall, decorated with Hallowe'en decorations in October and early November in real time. The player can help Dumbledore with Hallowe'en decorations during this time to earn house points.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (Appears in deleted scene(s))
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Appears in flashback(s))
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Appears in flashback(s))
- Wizarding World
- Daily Prophet Newsletters (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: The Creature Vault (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- LEGO Harry Potter
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- Harry Potter for Kinect
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
Notes and references
- Hallowe'en on Wikipedia
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 10 (Hallowe'en)
- Writing by J.K. Rowling: "Celestina Warbeck" at Wizarding World
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 7 (Mudbloods And Murmurs)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 16 (Godric's Hollow)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 33 (The Prince's Tale)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 1, "Howling Hallowe'en" Achievement - Part 1, Side Quest "The Hallowe'en Feast"
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 1, "Howling Hallowe'en" Achievement - Part 4, Side Quest "The Big Bad Werewolf"
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 2, "DUELLING DEATHDAY PARTIES" Achievement
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 8 (The Deathday Party)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 17 (The Heir of Slytherin)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 9 (The Writing on the Wall)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 8 (Flight of the Fat Lady)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 16 (The Goblet of Fire)