Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery is a video game developed by Jam City, released for mobile devices on 25 April 2018. It is the first game to be released under Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment's Portkey Games label.
In this game, the player creates their own character, and takes on the role of a Hogwarts student. The character experiences all seven years, and takes part in classes as well as extra activities such as the Duelling Club.
The player creates a character and follows the story of a student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and throughout the game will have to make certain choices which determines the path their character will be placed on, including the kind of relationships they build with other characters. Along with the story side told through each chapter, they have the opportunity to achieve rewards by learning spells and potions.
The story follows the character for their seven years of education at Hogwarts from 1984 to 1991. In that time, the game will feature characters known from the books during their student years, including Bill Weasley, Charlie Weasley and Nymphadora Tonks. The game also features teachers who were working at Hogwarts during that time including the characters of Rubeus Hagrid, Severus Snape, Minerva McGonagall, Albus Dumbledore, Filius Flitwick and Rolanda Hooch.
Chapter 1: Your Journey Begins
The player begins by creating the appearance of their character before arriving at Diagon Alley where they are introduced to Rowan Khanna. Rowan advises the player to purchase their books from Flourish and Blotts. The player later rejoins Rowan and names their character and establishes a friendship with Rowan.
Finally, the character purchases their wand from Ollivanders. The player finds out their character has a brother who went missing and depending on the answer the player selects in response, they will receive one possible wand wood and core out of three possible ones.
Chapter 2: Welcome To Hogwarts
The player arrives at Hogwarts where they gather in the Great Hall. The Sorting Hat will ask the player which house they were hoping for and then place the character in their house of choice, which will be the same house Rowan was placed in. They will then head to their common room where they will talk with Rowan before attending Charms and Potions where they will encounter bully Merula Snyde and have the choice of how to deal with her.
Chapter 3: Dealing With Trouble
The player will be introduced to Ben Copper and the Prefect of the House the player chooses. The player and Rowan depending on whether the player wants Rowan to join them, will be tricked by Merula and attacked by Devil's Snare. They are rescued by Rubeus Hagrid and then attend their Flying class where the player received another opportunity to create a friendship with Ben.
Rowan then invites the player to play Gobstones and the player's choices in the game determines how it works out. Later Merula finds them. Merula taunts the player with research she found about the player's brother who people think run away to join the Death Eaters. Depending on the choice of the player, they can respond with information which reveals Merula's parents were Death Eaters. Merula then challenges the player to a duel.
Chapter 4: Revenge is Best Served Magical
The player reports to their House Prefect who offers to teach the player to duel when they have learned a duelling spell. They find the secret duelling book in the Artefact Room and the player receives information about the Cursed Vaults their brother went looking for. The player then has an opportunity to talk with Rowan about what the player found out and build their friendship with Rowan depending on their choices.
The player will then begin improving their duelling in preparation for the duel with Merula. Professor Flitwick was known to be a duelling champion, and Flitwick agrees to help the player improve their skill at duelling by teaching them one spell. Flitwick then tells the player they can only use the spell for self-defence and they should ask Ben for help in order to learn another spell.
The player finds Ben in the Great Hall where they have the chance to cheer Ben up and improve their friendship. However, Rowan finds a spell in the duelling book and the player learns the new spell. Rowan then lets the player try the new spell on them and it works, and they agree to report their findings to their house Prefect.
Chapter 5: The Duel
The player reports their new skills to their House Prefect and is asked to duel Rowan for practise. The game offers three choices for how to duel: Sneaky, Defensive and Aggressive. Both Rowan and the player choose one of the three; depending on the choices, one will defeat the other. Having won the duel, the player finds Merula bullying Ben in the courtyard.
Merula attacks Ben with a spell and the player feels they have no choice and have to decide on the way they will intervene. They have the choice of attacking before Merula or defending when Merula attacks them. Merula and the player then duel and the player will win. Professors Snape and Flitwick then arrive and Snape blames the player for beginning the duel.
However, depending on the earlier choice of the player Flitwick will ask the player whether they were the one who began the duel. If they had not Flitwick will defend the player and Snape will demand the player receives detention anyway for learning defensive spells.
Chapter 6: A Curious Corridor
The player meets Penny Haywood who says thank you to them for dealing with Merula. Penny offers to help the player when they need it. The player and Merula then find Snape who tells them he would make them leave the school for their actions but Albus Dumbledore would want them to receive detention. They are then interrupted by Argus Filch who mentions a vault in a corridor to Snape, who then leaves to investigate.
Merula deduces they are talking about the cursed vaults and follows them and the player then decides to follow Merula. Snape asks Filch who else knows about the vaults and ice and then decides to inform Dumbledore and deduces it may be connected to the player's brother. The player wonders why Merula would be looking for the vaults and then tells Rowan what happened.
The player has the choice of how to tell Rowan what happened, and persuade them to join the plan the player created to find out more about the cursed vaults and cursed ice. They then head to the corridor where they search for any clue which may lead them to the vaults. They eventually decide to open a door leading off the corridor, only to find the door was locked. They hear a noise and abandon the locked room.
Chapter 7: Class Matters
The player meets with their House Prefect who asks them to focus more on school work for a while and make up for the House points taken from them through their rule-breaking.
Part of the classes section of the chapter was to learn the spell Knockback Jinx. However, Flitwick taught the player a duelling spell already and tells them they cannot learn another one. The player can respond with a choice of three possible answers which determine whether they can persuade Flitwick to let them learn Flipendo.
In Potions, Merula asks the player whether they told anyone about what they heard in the corridor. The player can tell the truth or lie. The player then asks Merula again why she wants to find the cursed vaults and she refuses to tell them. The player later reminds Merula they need to rotate their potion two more times and they will be rewarded with ten points.
Chapter 8: Preparing for the Room
The player's House Prefect will now be happy with the effort and Rowan decides to ask the player about the locked room. The player creates a plan to knock Mrs Norris out with a Sleeping Draught in order to reach the door unnoticed. Then they will use the Unlocking Charm to open the door. Finally the spell Flipendo will help them escape if they are trapped in the room.
The player decides to ask Penny Haywood to help them create the Sleeping Draught. They decide they need the help of a third person with the task and the player picks between Ben and Penny to bring. The player talks to Penny in the Potions Classroom and she agrees to help them create the Sleeping Draught. Penny can either be told why the player is making the potion or she can be lied to.
The player thanks Penny for helping, and then Penny or Ben (depending on the choice of the player) tells the player they should talk tonight about the secret mission Rowan told them they wanted their help with. The player and either Penny or Ben talk about the plan and they wonder why the player would want them to help. The player can respond with three possible answers which may improve their friendship. The player then persuades them to help.
Chapter 9: Inside the Room
The player heads to meet Rowan and either Penny or Ben in the corridor of the locked room. On the way, Filch apprehended them and asked them what they were up to. He mentions their trouble-maker brother, Jacob and the player can trick Filch into walking away from the corridor.
The three of them gather in the corridor where Mrs Norris was guarding the door. Rowan puts Mrs Norris to sleep using the Sleeping Draught dosed in milk and then the player opens the door with the Unlocking Charm. Merula then overpowered the group and tells them she will be the one who finds the Cursed Vaults before anyone else.
The player decides what to do about Merula. They follow Merula only to find she was trapped by the Cursed Ice which was growing and Merula begs them to help her. The Cursed Ice trapped the four of them in the room. The player begins saving them and decides whether they should help Merula.
However, when they have saved everyone they cannot reach the door. If the player chose Penny, she will reveal she made the Strengthening Solution and drinks it, before preceding to break the ice. If the player chose Ben, they will encourage him to cast a Knockback Jinx on the ice to break it. Before they left the room, the player noticed the writing in codes on the wall which Rowan says she will remember.
The player and Rowan wonder what the room was and what happened to the Cursed Vault they thought would be in the locked room. Rowan says perhaps the code will help them when they decipher it.
However, the school including the Prefect find out that the four of them went to the forbidden corridor and found the ice. The player can tell the Prefect the truth or lie. The Prefect reminds the player they represent their house even though they understand they need answers about what happened to their brother. They then tell the player that Dumbledore wants to talk to them later.
On the way to talk to Dumbledore, Rowan tells the player they found out what the code said about the ice knights who guard the Vanished Stairs. Rowan says they will work it out by the second year. When the player talks to Dumbledore, the player's surprised when he was kind to the player.
The player tells him why they broke the rules, and he tells them they can not only stay for their second year but that he thinks what they found will make sense in the future. He praises their actions and awards them one hundred points for their house (though not Gryffindor players.) He warns them to be considerate about their choices in the future and the impact they have on other people, telling them he will talk to them about the Cursed Vaults and their brother another time.
Chapters 10 & 11: Year's End
Chapter 1: Year Two Begins
At the Start-of-Term Feast, Merula Snyde tells the player she will continue trying to find the Cursed Vaults. Rowan Khanna asks the player whether they had a good summer and the player has the choice of how to respond. They both tell each other about the research they made about the Cursed Vaults and the Vanished Stairs and Rowan tells them they found out about staircases which no longer appear to be at the school.
The player says they should find Penny Haywood and Ben Copper and ask them to help search for them. They hear Professor Dumbledore's speech who warns the school they need to tell a teacher if they notice anything odd around the school. The player asks Penny to help them and whether she knows where to find Ben. Penny notes she's worried about Ben because he went missing when they arrived.
They ask everyone around the Great Hall whether they know where Ben went. The answers are very vague, mentioning certain places they think they saw him or simply saying they need to talk to him when they find him. The player then decides what to do. They have the option of asking Professor McGonagall who's the Head of Ben's house.
Merula tells the player she knows what happened to Ben and that she knows about things which go missing, and that trying to uncover those things leads to people being killed. The player has to option of asking whether Merula's implying she knows about Jacob or the Cursed Vaults. The player asks whether Ben went looking for them and Merula says they will find out eventually.
The player meets with Professor McGonagall who says she needs to speak to Ben when they find him. She says Ben's well-being was very affected by what happened to him with the cursed ice (even if the player took Penny and not Ben,) and she warns the player they need to consider everyone else in their pursuit for answers.
She asks the player to tell her the truth about what they found in the Locked Room. The player decides whether to tell her. If the player decides to tell the truth, McGonagall says she will share in the info about the Ice Knights and Vanished Stairs with Dumbledore.
McGongall then surprises the player by mentioning the Cursed Ice incident has happened before, but refuses to elaborate and says it's not important. She tells the player to search for Ben in every known hiding place for clues for his whereabouts and report to her if they find him, and she will reward them for their efforts.
The player and Rowan search the corridor for Ben and realised one of the cupboards were locked. They open it with the Unlocking Charm and find a note which they think belongs to Ben. It's written in another code which Rowan agrees to decipher. They gather in the common room to read one of the books which Rowan says can help them decipher the code.
Rowan deciphers the words and tell the player the next clue was transfigured into a quill which was hidden in the common room of another House (the Gryffindor Common Room for Ravenclaw and Slytherin and the Slytherin Common Room for Gryffindor and Hufflepuff), and failure to follow the clue will be severely punished. It was signed by the initial R. The player and Rowan decide they need to sneak into the other common room despite not from that House. They then work on how to undo the transfiguration.
Chapter 2: Growing and Shrinking
The player and Rowan talk about Ben and the plan to find the object which could lead them to Ben. Rowan says when everyone attends the Gryffindor and Slytherin Quidditch game, they will sneak into the empty House Common Room using the Shrinking Charm and then the Growing Charm. Rowan warns the player the House Prefect will be very smart and find them searching the room. The player says they will take care of the Prefect.
On the way to one of the classes, the player encounters the Prefect of the House that would later be sneaked into, and has the opportunity to decided whether or not to trick them. They learn Reducio and have the chance to tell Professor Flitwick the truth about why they are asking about it. He warns them not to use it outside of the class. Rowan tells the player they are worried they are too late to save Ben. The player then cheers Rowan up and persuades them both the plan and Ben will be fine.
Chapter 3: The Black Quill
On the day of the game, the player and Rowan watch two people in the other House head to the game. Before the door shuts, the player uses the spell Reducio and sneaks in. They then use the spell Engorgio to be their normal size again before searching the room. They find the object and then head back to Rowan where they were apprehended by the Head of House who saw them.
The player depending in their choice will either lose House points or tell the Head of House they were searching for their friend and will be allowed to go and tell them never to sneak in another House's room again. They head back to their own room and talk about what they found. They untransfigure the object and read the note. It tells them to search one of the corridors and they wonder whether the note involves anyone else.
Rowan wonders whether they should continue and the player decides whether to take Rowan or Penny. If the player takes Penny, Rowan will be sent to tell one of the teachers what they found. The player and Rowan or Penny search the corridor and find Professors Snape and McGonagall have discovered Ben stuck in the cursed ice. Snape and McGonagall eventually manage to free Ben from the ice, leaving the player to wonder what happened.
Chapter 4: Revelio
The player visits Ben in the Hospital Wing and encounters Poppy Pomfrey, who relays that Ben is in great distress and heavily hints she'd like the player to leave unless they have a good excuse to see him. Depending on how high the player's Empathy level is, the player will be able to tell her you came to comfort Ben and she'll allow them to stay. When the player approaches Ben, he'll be relieved that they came to visit him but he'll act oddly. He will tell the player that he doesn't remember asking for them or even being trapped in the ice. The player will decide that if they cannot get any information from Ben, they will meet Rowan back in the corridor and find out what happened themselves.
When the player returns to the corridor with Rowan, Rowan tells the player that they are suspecting Ben is hiding something from them because he is either scared of what he found or he's trying to protect both of you. The player has the choice to trust Ben, agree with Rowan, or be unsure. Both Rowan and the player proceed to search the corridor once more and find the wall to be suspicious. Both conclude that they need to learn the revealing spell, Revelio, and that the player knows how to learn it. The player will approach Professor McGonagall in her classroom to ask for a favour.
Depending on if the player told her about the secret message or not, she'll reward them 20 house points for their help and showing concern for Ben. The player then proceeds to push for that private lesson with McGonagall to learn the advanced charm. She'll tell the player she thinks the charm is too complicated for them and has to see that they're skilled enough when they attend class. Once the player completes attending Transfiguration class, McGonagall will find them worthy of learning Revelio.
Rowan will congratulate the player and ask for them to meet them back at the Icy Corridor again. The player and Rowan have some small talk about what to expect before casting the spell. The player casts Revelio on the wall and reveals a hidden staircase - very much like the player's vision.
The player now has the choice to either proceed, proceed with caution, or tell a professor about their newfound discovery. If the player suggests telling a professor, Rowan will warn them that the professor would never let them back into the corridor. Rowan reminds the player that this is an important hidden discovery at Hogwarts and they should seize the opportunity to explore. The player casts Lumos and they venture off into the staircase.
Rowan mentions the room is unnaturally cold, and the player believes they are close to the Cursed Vaults. When they find a door covered in ice, Rowan will approach it. The ice will send Rowan flying and they will be injured. The player then takes them to the Hospital Wing.
Chapter 5: Rowan's Recovery
The player visits Rowan in the hospital wing and finds Penny there. Penny tells the player that if she had been there she could've helped. The player agrees that they should bring Penny along next time.
During a Potions class, Merula tells the player that she has been working with else to find the cursed vaults. Snape tells the player that he has searched their dormitory and challenges the player about potions ingredients that he found there. The player has the chance to blame Merula (providing they are of a high enough level), or take the blame themselves (and risk losing 50 points).
The player visits Rowan in the Hospital Wing again and Rowan tells them to focus on their classes. Rowan says that they don't want to go near the cursed vaults ever again. Later Merula hints she knows things about Jacob, and the player persuades Rowan to keep helping with them with the Cursed Vaults and Rowan tells them they should bring Bill Weasley onboard.
Chapter 6: Bill Weasley
The player finds Bill on the training grounds practising defensive spells on Mechanical Death Eater dummies that had been set up for target practise. Luckily Bill has already heard of the player and their brother, thanks to the articles about Jacob's expulsion in the Daily Prophet, which made it the talk of the Weasley household. He agrees to help the player find the Cursed Vaults, though he tells them they need to improve their Transfiguration and duelling skills. A duel with Bill takes place in the Training Grounds after the player perfects the Softening Charm. Upon winning the said duel, Bill and the player relocates to the Clocktower Courtyard where he shares one of his favourite spells, the Fire-Making Spell, and asked the player to study the spell in The Standard Book of Spells before he teaches the spell in person. After studying the spell with Rowan in the common room, a practical training with Bill begins, during which he reveals being keen on becoming Head Boy.
Chapter 7: Facing the Door
The player meets Bill in the corridor. Bill is excited to start his first curse breaking adventure. The Player and Bill decide to move through the corridor fast so the cold won’t affect them too much. When they get to the vault they find even more ice in the way. The player has the option of casting flipendo or incendio on the ice. After getting through the ice blocking the door the Player and Bill come face to face with the door to the vault. Bill believes that they should work on attacking the door before it has a chance to attack them. After working together to defeat the curse, the door traps Bill within more cursed ice. The player frees Bill from the ice but Bill is too weak to continue.
Chapter 8: Training the Team
Once the player reaches this chapter they get a message from Bill telling them that he still doesn’t feel good and is in the hospital wing. The player’s prefect asks them to meet him or her in their house common room. The prefect is worried about the player and their effect on their house. The prefect tells the player they should change into new clothes. Bill is released from the hospital wing and wants to make new plans for breaking into the cursed vault. The player works on training Rowan, Penny, and Ben. Rowan needs to learn incendio. Penny already knows incendio but wants to work on the knockback jinx. Ben needs to learn how to make a healing balm for burns.
Chapter 9: Wizards Unite!
Hagrid informs the player that the cursed ice has spread throughout Hogwarts and students are trapped. Hagrid also mentions that Dumbledore is away searching for a famous curse-breaker. The player meets Bill in the courtyard and they decided to only bring one other friend along so the others can help the professors free other students. The player will have to decide if they want to bring Rowan, Penny or Ben along with them. The player meets their chosen friend in the great hall to convince them to join the adventure.
Chapter 10: The Vault of Ice
The player, Bill and the chosen friend (Rowan, Penny or Ben) meet in the courtyard before heading to the vault. The three take turns casting incendio at the door until it opens. When the door starts to open Bill has the sudden realisation that the door might not be keeping them out, but keeping something in. An ice knight bursts from the door and traps Bill, then the other friend in ice. The player will duel the ice knight and then free their friends. They open the vault where they find a notebook and broken wand and a voice tells the player never to let "her" find the other ones. After leaving the vault McGonagall demands that the player meet her outside of Headmaster's Office. She is furious at the player and unless the player took Ben along, who is good at hiding evidence, takes 50 points from the player's house. The player goes to meet Dumbledore in his office where he is busy writing a letter. Once he finishes he tells the player not to keep looking for the cursed vaults but gives the player 50 points for their bravery. He tells the player that they have something important to talk about at the end of next year.
Chapter 11: End-of-Term Feast
Chapter 1: Year Three Begins
The player returns to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and meets with Rowan Khanna, Penny Haywood and Ben Copper in the Great Hall, who all express their worries about Professor Albus Dumbledore being angry with the player. The player doesn't think so but changes their mind after hearing his speech. Dumbledore addresses the school and confirms the existence of the Cursed Vaults. He says that the cursed ice was the unique curse placed upon one of the vaults and that each vault contains another curse. The cursed was only unleashed when a student tampered with the vault but fortunately, that student was able to enter the vault and break the curse. He warns the students not to go around tampering with the vaults again and that if they do consequences will be severe, especially for repeat offenders. Rowan asks if they think they should keep looking for the vaults or obey the rules.
At the end of Herbology, Penny discovers a werewolf in the pots, which is actually a Boggart. Before the Flying class, Nymphadora Tonks and Rowan talk about the upcoming visit to Hogsmeade. The player is then told by the Head of House they need to focus and improve their school work if they want permission for Hogsmeade trips.
Chapter 2: Boggarts and Butterbeer
The player meets Penny and Bill Weasley in the Great Hall where Bill shows off his new prefect badge. The player is concerned about Penny after her run-in with the Boggart. Bill tells the player to ask Rubeus Hagrid about the Boggart found by Penny in Herbology. Hagrid connects the Boggart to the vaults, telling the player they appeared in the school when Jacob went searching for them. The player and Rowan wonder why Penny was afraid of werewolves, but Penny had no idea why and they eventually decide it's simply a dark creature people would be afraid of.
Chapter 3: Three Broomsticks
The Head of House is impressed by the player's work and permits them the Hogsmeade trips. The player learns from Hagrid that Jacob went to the Three Broomsticks Inn and knew Rosmerta very well, hence wanting to talk and find out what Jacob may have said. Rowan tells the player to meet them at the pub when it's time.
The player heads to Hogsmeade and is introduced to Andre Egwu. They then find Rowan and Hagrid in the Three Broomsticks. Rosmerta says she will be back in a minute after taking their order of Butterbeer. The player finds out Jacob would write in a notebook until being taken away by Aurors. Rosmerta offers to look for the object Jacob hid if the player agrees to help out at the Inn.
When the player works a shift at the Inn, Rosmerta says she needs more time to find the object and the player decides whether they want to help Rosmerta create a new kind of Butterbeer. If they do, Rosmerta asks them to find Sugar Shrub, Mallowsweet, and Moondew as ingredients.
If the ingredients are collected correctly, Rosmerta will tell Dumbledore she thinks the player should be rewarded ten House points. If the ingredients are wrong, including the player growing the wrong plant in Herbology, they will not receive any House points and many wizards will feel sick from poison when they drink the butterbeer concoction.
Rosmerta rewards the player with Jacob's quill which they untransfigure and find it to be the notebook. Argus Filch then appears and confiscates the notebook, telling them they are breaking the rules by continuing with their search.
Chapter 4: Filching from Filch
The player has to get back Jacob's notebook from Filch's office. The player seeks the help of Tonks, who agrees to find a way to sneak into the office. Tonks and the player visit Zonko's Joke Shop in Hogsmeade, where they formally meet the shopkeeper, Bilton Bilmes.
After telling him of their pranking schemes, he presents them with the choice of two different top-selling products: the Nose-Biting Teacup or the Fanged Frisbee. Later back at the castle, Tonks finds the player when Filch has left his office, giving them time to sneak in and look for Jacob's notebook.
Chapter 5: Tulip Karasu
The player meets Rowan in their house common room after retrieving Jacob's notebook from Filch's office, in order to see if they can help decipher it. The player decides between taking Bill, Penny or Ben to find Jacob's secret room which he used for his research. They find a padlock with two keyholes and the player has the option of using Alohomora or Flipendo. As Tulip Karasu's name is on the lock, they proceed to search for her, and locate her in the Transfiguration Classroom. The player has the option to ask nicely or make her help, follows by having to disable the Dungbomb on Dennis the toad to gain Tulip's assistance.
Tulip informs the player that her former accomplice is Merula Snyde and she has the other key. Tulip asks why they should work together and the player has to build up friendship with Tulip to persuade her to work with them. After learning Duro and the Antidote to Common Poisons, the player meets with Tulip in the Courtyard to form a plan to distract Merula's friends.
Chapter 6: The Letter from No One
Tulip tasks the player with retrieving the Jumbo Dungbomb from Bilton Bilmes. The player explores the shop while Bilton hunts for it in the back. He offers to give the player the rare Jumbo Dungbomb in exchange for baby Mandrakes and rare sweet Butterbeer 1707 from the Three Broomsticks. Madam Rosmerta fetches the Butterbeer while the player tends to her customers.
The player then meets Rowan in the Common Room because they found a letter from "a friend" on the player's bed, warning they are in danger. Rowan asks who they think sent the letter and the player decides from the choice of Merula, Dumbledore, or not sure. The player then focuses on Tulip and the Jumbo Dungbomb, and collects the baby Mandrakes.
Bilton finds the Jumbo Dungbomb and Tulip creates the Ultimate Dungbomb with it. The player and Tulip find Merula, Barnaby Lee, and Ismelda Murk in the Courtyard. They throw the Dungbomb at them, which makes every except Merula run away. Tulip and the player confront Merula for the other key. Merula says if the player duels her again and wins, they may have the other key.
The player and Merula duel. When the player eventually wins, Merula lets them take the key and says that it's okay because she has found what she wanted from the Jacob's room earlier. Merula then tells the player they should watch out because Tulip will betray them.
Chapter 7: Jacob's Room
Tulip tells the player to ignore Merula when she told them she took what she wanted from the room, because Tulip knows she and Merula found nothing worth taking. They then unlock Jacob's room only to be confronted with the player's Boggart which takes the image of Voldemort. They run away and decide they need to learn the Boggart-Banishing Spell before entering the room again.
They search for books in the Library and ask Madam Irma Pince where they could find them. They then search in the back and eventually find the book they needed. Tulip wonders why the Boggart took the image of Voldemort, and the player decides it's because of what happened to the Potter family, to their brother or because he's terrifying.
The player and Tulip have read about the spell and find another Boggart in the Artefact Room, where they practise the spell. Tulip faces the Boggart which takes the image of Merula, and the player banishes it. They then speak in the Great Hall, where Tulip tells the player why the Boggart was Merula.
Later, they face the Boggart in Jacob's room for the second time and succeed to making it a clown. They search the room and find a note saying when Vault of Fear was opened before, there were many Boggarts in the Library which means it was nearby. They make the plan to search the entire Library until they find it
Chapter 8: Barnaby Lee
Tulip tells the player they need to gather their friends and search the Library, and she will continue searching Jacob's room. Ben Copper, Bill Weasley, Rowan Khanna and Penny Haywood search the Library with the player and eventually find a note telling them the entrance will be in the Restricted Section, and make a plan to sneak in. The player heads to find Tulip in Jacob's room and finds Merula waiting.
Merula implies she knows why they were searching the Library, and threatens the player. Tulip tells the player she's found nothing when searching Jacob's room but the player finds a note telling them the "book opens the way" and deduces they need to look in Jacob's notebook again. Tulip then tells the player they should bring Barnaby Lee onboard with the plan. The player then meets Barnaby in the Great Hall and the player asks if he wants to join them instead of working for Merula. He agrees if the player can defeat him in a duel. The Player chooses between Bill, Rowan and Tonks as the final member of the group.
Chapter 9: The Vault of Fear
Tulip tells the player the plan for breaking in the Restricted Section and think of a way to trick Madam Pince. The player practises spells and then meets at the Library with Tulip, Barnaby and the last member of the group. If Rowan is previously chosen, they trick Madam Pince and open the Restricted Section with the Unlocking Charm. If Tonks, she brings a baby Mandrake and its scream makes Madam Pince leave. If Bill, he convinces Madam Pince that a first-year Hufflepuff planted Stink Pellets in the Restricted Section.
Merula shows up and duels the player. When the player wins, Barnaby tells the player to go in the room and he will fend Merula and Ismelda off. The player's crew sans Barnaby search the room and Barnaby later shows up and tells them Merula and Ismelda left, but they will probably tell a teacher about them. They find and enter the Vault of Fear and confront three Boggarts all taking the form of Voldemort. The Boggarts take the player's there friends captive, and the player saves them with the Boggart-Banishing Spell. The player hears Jacob's voice again telling them to fight, and Boggart Voldemort shows up and duels the player.
When the player wins the duel, they reunite with their friends and open the vault when they made the "ultimate sacrifice" by giving up magic. The player remembers Jacob's broken wand and thought the Vault of Ice opened because he broke his wand. The player brought Jacob's broken wand with them, and it opens the vault. They find a map of the Forbidden Forest and an arrow. The player takes the map and arrow and heads out of the vault and back to the Library before the teachers find them.
Chapter 10: Among Friends
The player meets their friends in the Three Broomsticks Inn to celebrate breaking the curse and drink Butterbeer. Merula told Snape, only there will be no proof of what they have done and Madam Pince will be too proud to admit they tricked her. They wager the next vault will be in the Forbidden Forest.
The player and Rowan then admit to Ben they found letters to him signed by the name "R" in their second year which were addressed to Ben. Ben could not remember them and they worry about the memory loss and whether he's even telling the truth. Bill tells them they should worry about it another day.
Hagrid shows up and implies they were responsible for the fewer Boggarts being found around the school. Dumbledore then shows up and tells Hagrid he was supposed to keep it secret, and the player mentions Dumbledore was missing for the entire year. He says he was looking for someone, and he succeeded. The player is confused and Dumbledore tells them to meet him at the office and he will explain.
The player tells him everything about the day's events, and they deduce that another person keeps tampering with the vaults and opening them. Dumbledore tells them he was looking for the world's finest Curse-Breaker and that he invited her to join them next year. Even though the player broken the rules again, and Dumbledore warns them never to do it again, he rewards them with another chance and one hundred points.
Chapter 11: End-of-Term Feast
Chapter 1: Year Four Begins
Ben Copper looks more worried than usual. The player gets the option to check on Ben. Rubeus Hagrid needs the player's help, as something horrible has happened and ask them to come to the Clocktower Courtyard. If the player chose to check on Ben, they ask if Ben can come with them.
When arriving to the Courtyard, the player sees Tulip Karasu, who, according to, has gone to the Forbidden Forest, to which Tulip says that it must have been sleepwalking. The player remembers the sleepwalking incident that happened in Year 2 and uses Episkey to heal Tulip. Tulip is then taken to the Hospital Wing. If Ben comes along, he mentions that he is awaiting a letter from someone.
The player takes Tulip to the Hospital Wing and visits her. They both agree that the Cursed Vaults are in the Forbidden Forest, though not understanding why the curse sends sleepwalkers to the Forbidden Forest. Madam Rakepick appears, having eavesdropped on their conversation, and tells them to stop looking for the Cursed Vaults. She then tells the player to meet her in the Training Grounds, where she later teaches the player the Shield Charm.
The player meets Tulip in a corridor, and she confesses to following Rakepick because she was questioned by her about the sleepwalking incident and the Cursed Vaults. She were interrogating the house-elves in the kitchen when Professor Severus Snape showed up and informed her that he had found another sleepwalking student, before leading Madam Rakepick an upstairs corridor, where the student was. Madam Rakepick then asks Professor Snape how many he had found, to which he replied that he had found seven just since the start of that year. He was going to take the student to the Hospital Wing, but Madam Rakepick retorts that Professor Dumbledore charged her with anything to do with the Cursed Vaults so they agree to go to the Hospital Wing together, with Professor Snape's condition being if she would keep her mouth shut.
Chapter 2: The Mysterious Madam Rakepick
The player meets their friends in the Library to discuss Patricia Rakepick and study the map of the Forbidden Forest. The player meets Rowan Khanna in the Great Hall to discuss about Madam Rakepick. Rowan thinks Ben isn't really their friend and is trying to hide something. The player tells Rowan that they asked him about his connection to "R" but he denied everything.
The player takes potions class and asks Snape for his opinion about Madam Rakepick. He reveals she was in her 5th year when he started at Hogwarts and that she was liked by people like her but disliked by the staff. Then the player ask Professor Filius Flitwick for his opinion, who says that Dumbledore trusts her so you shouldn't judge her. The player asks Madam Rolanda Hooch after a flying class for what she thinks about Madam Rakepick and she says she could tell you but she would prefer not use that language around the students. The player is surprised about Hooch's strong opinions about Madam Rakepick, to which Madam Hooch comments that the player doesn't know her that well but it will change if the player join their House's Quidditch Team. The player then talks to Hagrid, who describes her as talented, ambitious, brave, devious, reckless, heroic and dangerous. He also said you shouldn’t work against her.
The player talks to Rowan in their Common Room and they receive a letter from Madam Rakepick. The letter reads: “Dear Miss [player's last name], I understand you have been questioning the faculty about my personal history, and reasons for being at Hogwarts. I can only assume you’ve taken such an interest in me because we share a common interest in the Cursed Vaults. Perhaps you’re talking behind my back because you fear what I might do in response to your inquiry. I’d like to see you immediately in the Artefact Room, as I think it’s best we discuss the matter in private. If you choose to ignore my invitation, I will take it upon myself to find you. Warmest regards, Patricia Rakepick.”
Rowan asks the player if they want him to come with them. The player goes to the Artefact Room. If the player brought Rowan he would ask them why them didn’t come alone, and the player says they said they are interested in Madam Rakepick. Then Rowan says it's an honour to meet her, and asks her not to hurt him. Madam Rakepick tells the player she would help them. The player asks why, because she asked them to stay away from the Cursed Vaults. She says that the player is different, and that they were the same as when she started. She encourages the player to keep looking for the Cursed Vaults even if it means breaking school rules and disobeying Dumbledore. Madam Rakepick tells the player that she thinks that a Cursed Vault might be in Hogsmeade, and not even in the Forbidden Forest. She asks the player if they would like to be her assistant. Then Rakepick tells the player to ask Professor Kettleburn how to get in the Forbidden Forest safely.
Chapter 3: All About Bowtruckles
The player attends the Care of Magical Creatures class for Bowtruckle, and attempts to ask Professor Silvanus Kettleburn ways to enter the Forbidden Forest, and is told that he will share what he knows if the player studies more about Bowtruckle and find a home for it. The player goes to meet Kettleburn at the Courtyard after doing what was asked, only to be attacked by a cloaked figure, who claims to be a messenger.
Chapter 4: Curse-Breakers
The player meets Professor Kettleburn and proves their knowledge of bowtruckles by caring for one. Kettleburn tells the player that he has advised many students on entering the forest, including Madam Rakepick. Now that the professors are monitoring the forest it is harder to sneak in but Kettleburn still thinks flying will be the easiest way in.
Madam Rakepick asks the player to meet her at the Training Grounds. The player joins Ben, Rowan, Bill Weasley, Merula Snyde and Ismelda Murk in a little competition to become Rakepick's assistant. The player joins Tulip and Bill at the Three Broomsticks Inn to talk about how to get into the Forbidden Forest. Bill sends an owl to Charles Weasley to come and discuss with them. Charlie advises the player to practise flying and Ferula and Vermillious first.
The player meets Penny Haywood in flying class, and asks how the meeting with Madam Rakepick went. Although she received an invitation as well, she turned it down, being more of a potion-brewer than a curse-breaker. After flying class the player will ask Madam Poppy Pomfrey to teach them the bandaging spell, Ferula. Madam Rakepick calls the students back to the Training Grounds and has them duel each other. The player can choose to duel Bill Weasley, Merula Snyde or Ismelda Murk.
Chapter 5: Time to Fly
The player goes to ask Madam Hooch if they can borrow a broom. They claim it's for Quidditch practise, but Hooch does not believe them. The player has the choice to either tell the truth or continue lying, but regardless of their choice, Hooch explains that no brooms are allowed to be borrowed due to the Black Lake incident.
The player meets up with their friends in the Library and learns about the Black Lake incident from Tulip. The two and Tonks come up with a plan to steal a broom from Filch by distracting him with something from Zonko's Joke Shop.
The plan succeeds. The player and Tulip sneak into Filch's Office while Tonks stays in the Great Hall and watches Filch's reaction. Tulip and the player find out that every broom in Filch's office has been destroyed, but they manage to find another black quill.
Tulip and the player meet up with Rowan in Jacob's room, where they untransfigurate the message and find out that R has been sending threatening messages to Madam Rakepick. Rowan, shocked that her theory about R being Rakepick is wrong, asks the player who they think R is, and they have the option of choosing either Rita Skeeter, Madam Rosmerta or Filius Flitwick.
With no brooms to steal, the player and Charlie Weasley come to the conclusion that the only way to get to the Forbidden Forest is by borrowing someone else's broom. The player can choose between Andre Egwu, Ismelda Murk and Merula Snyde. The player goes to the Three Broomsticks to convince the person.
Chapter 6: Explore the Forbidden Forest
The player meets Charlie and a friend, chosen between Bill, Rowan, and Barnaby Lee, in the courtyard and flies to the Forbidden Forest. The player and the chosen friend arrive safely but Charlie is out of sight, so a search for him in the Forest Grove proceeds. Afterwards, the player is asked whether to cast a spell, keep searching for Charlie, or yell for him, which require 20 courage points. Regardless of the choice, Charlie finds the two. If casting a spell, Vermillious is cast, and Charlie will appear and comment that it was a nice spell.
The player then meets Tulip in Jacob's room and finds Merula Snyde there as well, hence asks Tulip why and she replies that Merula has searched this room more than anyone else so she would know a lot about the room. The three occupants then search the room for clues.
The player then heads to the Forest Grove with a chosen company between Tulip, Penny and Merula. Centaur Torvus appears, asking the player to leave and the reason for being there, which leads to a duel. He reveals to being exiled from his camp due to aiding Jacob in finding the Cursed Vault in the forest. Jacob has asked for Torvus' family heirloom, but he refused so Jacob stole it, leaving Torvus blamed for the theft. The family heirloom is the broken arrow the player found in the Vault of Fear, placed to break the curse there. The player shows it to Torvus, who asks for the other part, which the player responds to having only found what is shown. Torvus then tells the player a jewel is supposed to be on the other end of it.
Chapter 7: Beast, Beings, and Creatures
The player tells Charlie about the expedition into the Forbidden Forest in the Three Broomsticks. He tells the player he knows Torvus. The player enlarges the butter beer, saying that Madam Rosmerta won’t like it if they enlarge the butter beer too much but one more time is okay.
The player meets Tulip, Barnaby, and Rowan in the library to study centaurs.
Then the player meets Penny and someone of their choice in Jacob's Room to find clues for the missing arrow head.
If they pick Ben, the player will have to wait because he had ended up in the Hospital Wing and could not meet him/her before Madam Pomfrey allowed him to leave. Later, the player will go to the Great Hall to talk to him about finding the missing arrow head because he, having spent so much time hiding, ought to know the best place to hide something valuable. Suggesting that had it been him, he would hide the arrowhead as far away from the castle itself as possible. This makes the MC consider searching in or around the Forbidden Forest, Hogsmeade or the Black Lake. Ultimately, he suggests getting a Niffler.
If they pick Bill, the player will have to wait because of a meeting he was going to have with Professor McGonagall in preperation for his N.E.W.T. exams. Later, the player will go to the Three Broomsticks in Hogsmeade to talk to him about finding the missing arrow head because he, being a Prefect, probably was good at figuring out were people usually hid stuff they did not want other people to find, and probably knew more about centaurs and arrow heads than they did. Ultimately, he suggests getting a Niffler, assuring the player that a Niffler would be able to find a jewelled arrow head no matter where it was.
If they pick Madam Rakepick, the player will have to wait because she is currently in the middle of investigating something important. Later, the player will go to the Training Grounds to talk to her about finding the missing arrow head because she, as a seasoned Curse-Breaker, should know what to do. Happy to help with anything having to do with the Cursed Vaults, Rakepick nevertheless insisted that the player brushed up on their offensive and defensive spellwork before doing so. Once happy with the results, she suggested that the arrow head was likely to be hidden somewhere within the castle, since one did not necessarily need a shovel and dirt to dig something down. Ultimately, she told them to prove themselves capable of looking after a Niffler, saying that if they could do this, she would borrow them her the one that had been assigned to her by Gringotts to help in the search.
Chapter 8: Sickleworth
The player meets Professor Kettleburn in the Care of Magical Creatures Class to spend some time with Madam Rakepick's Niffler. He suggests the player grows food for the Niffler. The player grows food in their Herbology class for the Niffler. The player meets Hagrid in the Courtyard to ask him what he knows about Nifflers.
Thereafter, the player is told to by what appears to be Professor Kettleburn to meet him in their Care of Magical Creatures Class, but they find Madam Rakepick there instead. She asks the player if they are ready to care for her Sickleworth, with the player choosing to say yes, no or not sure. Then the player learns to care for their Niffler. The player tells Madam Rakepick that they will return her Niffler once they find the buried arrowhead. She tells the player that although it is well behaved, it is still a Niffler. Madam Rakepick adds that it is one of the the few things that she cares for, and advise them against mistreating him.
Chapter 9: Glittery Secrets
The player searches the Artefact Room with Sickleworth. Ben Copper thinks the buried arrowhead is far from the castle, but Madam Rakepick thinks it is in the Artefact Room. The player asks the Niffler to start searching for it, but it refuses to do it so the player searches the Artefact Room while the Niffler watches. The player doesn't think it's there, but the Niffler disagrees and rolls over scrolls, jumps into a basket, runs through a barrel and comes out with a glittery necklace. The player says it is nice but they are looking for an arrowhead. The player then repairs a cabinet the Niffler ruined with Reparo.
The player meets Madam Rakepick in the Clocktower Courtyard. She asks the player how the search for the arrowhead is. The player says they couldn’t find it in the Artefact Room but they were going to search Argus Filch's office, but they already tricked him twice and it probably won’t work again. She asks the player if they would like her to distract Filch. The player asks if she is worried about getting caught, and she says she isn’t worried about anything but will expect an owl when the deed is done.
Then the player searches Filch's office with Sickleworth. The Niffler wants the player to search the room again like in the Artefact Room. The player comments that Sickleworth really is Madam Rakepick's Niffler. The player doesn't think the arrowhead is in there either. Sickleworth climbs up a cabinet, climbs on stacks of paper and goes to a box and pulls out something. Madam Rakepick appears, declaring it to be a key. The player is startled to see her there and she says she distracted Filch. She asks Sickelworth to give her the key. The player asks what's on the key and she replies it is gillweed and that she has been searching for it for a long time. The player confronts her and says that she never thought the arrowhead was there, she just sent them there to find the key. Madam Rakepick admits she couldn't enter his office without reason, and she can just say she followed a rebellious student inside. The player angrily accused Rakepick for tricking them, to which she replied doing just as the player did to Filch and others, saying the player and herself are similar so that's why she would allow the player to borrow Sickleworth. Rakepick wishes the player good luck for the search for the arrowhead and that she has her own search to attend to. The player fixes the drawer with the Mending Charm, then commands Sickleworth to go and find the arrowhead.
Chapter 10: Seeing Red
The player speaks to Charlie about Rakepick, and Charlie agrees to enter the Forbidden Forest with the player. The player then picks between Ben Copper, Andre Egwu, and Ismelda Murk to also accompany them. In the Forbidden Forest, Sickleworth leads the player to a Red Cap's hole. There the player searches for Torvus' jewelled arrowhead, only to be interrupted by the Red Cap returning. Chased out of the hole, the player decides to further research Red Caps in the library. Once finished, the player decides the best method to getting rid of the Red Cap is to brew a Beautification Potion with Penny Haywood's assistance.
Chapter 11: Beautification Potion
The player meets Penny Haywood in the Great Hall, who agrees to both gather ingredients and help brew the Beautification Potion. The player then goes to Herbology class to gather Ginger roots, and has the option to lie or tell the truth to Pomona Sprout. Either way she tells the player they can find some at Hagrid's Hut, and at the end of the lesson, lets the player take a portion of Lady's Mantle. At Hagrid's Hut, the player talks to Hagrid and is given Ginger root from his gardens. The player then goes to Care of Magical Creatures, where Kettleburn gives them fairy wings after class. Merula Snyde then confronts the player about their progress with the Cursed Vaults, informing the player that Madam Rakepick wants regular updates from them. The player then searches the Forbidden Forest with Sickleworth for Unicorn hair, and meets up with Penny, who has the Moondew for the potion. The player successfully brews a Beautification potion with Penny who wonders if Jacob doesn't want to be found by his sibling. Before the player can fly back to the Red Cap's den however, Snape arrives and breaks the player's borrowed broom, and says he will decide what to do with the player later.
Chapter 12: Working With Snape
The player attends Potions class, where they apologise to Snape for their rule breaking, and says he only took the broom so they would appear to be at odds with one another in case Rakepick was watching. After class, Snape tells the player that he wants their help discovering Rakepick's true motivations, and gives the player a list of potion ingredients to collect at specific times and places, as Rakepick will be there as well. First, in the Great Hall, the player pretends to speak with Ben Copper while eavesdropping on Rakepick and Filch's conversation. Rakepick questions Filch about the key she took from his office in chapter 9, and Filch eventually reveals that years ago, a package had been left in his office containing that key and three Black Quills. Next, at the Three Broomsticks, the player drinks Butterbeer with Hagrid, and listens to Rakepick attempt to questions Rosmerta about the notebook Jacob had left with her, and whether or not he'd also left behind a map of Hogwarts (possibly the Marauder's map, considering the way it was described). Rosmerta refuses to answer or let Rakepick search her storeroom, and threatens Rakepick with Aurors to get Rakepick to leave. Finally, at the Hospital Wing, the player listens as Rakepick questions Pomfrey over a sleepwalker who has been the longest affected at five weeks and three days. Rakepick calls out to the player and reveals she's been aware of their spying since the beginning, as well as Snape's involvement. Returning to Snape, the player tells Snape what they've learned, and that Rakepick knew about their spying. Snape reveals he expected this, and Rakepick only said what she wanted him to hear, and that she'll be waiting for his response. Snape then gives the player Garrotting Gas as a reward for helping (along with house points, if the option to go along willingly with his plans was chosen) as he believes Rakepick may try to kill the player. Snape says he will want the player's help again, and if they remain cooperative he will teach the player a curse he invented.
Chapter 13: The Centaur's Arrow
In the Courtyard, the player speaks to Charlie Weasley and comes up with a plan to find the arrowhead an convince Torvus to take them to the Cursed Vault's entrance. The player has a choice between Penny, Barnaby and Rowan to take into the forest, and then goes to the Three Broomsticks to convince their friend of choice to accompany them. The player then flies back into the Forbidden Forest and goes back into the Red Cap's hole, where they begin to search for the arrowhead. When they are interrupted by the Red Cap's return, the player splashes the Red Cap with the Beautification Potion. The Red Cap, looking at its reflection, is so disgusted that it runs away, leaving Sickleworth free to search for the arrowhead. Finding it, the player leaves the hole and casts vermillious to try and catch Torvus' attention. When that fails, the player casts the Levitation Charm on themselves to search the forest for Torvus, and finding him, catches his attention. The player repairs the arrow and gives it back to Torvus, who believes with it back he may be able to rejoin his herd. The players asks to be taken to the vault, but Torvus says they first need to find Hagrid, and that only Hagrid will be able to explain why.
Chapter 14: The Spider's Lair
At the Three Broomsticks, the player meets with all of their friends to help prepare for the forest vault, and Ben Copper guesses that the most terrifying creature in the forest will be guarding it. The player and their friends come up with a plan to study dangerous creatures in the forest (Rowan), ask Kettleburn about them (Charlie and Barnaby), and have Bill help train them for a fight while everyone else keeps the teachers distracted. While the player studies, Rowan asks if they find it suspicious that Ben brought up dangerous creatures as a guard, and the player has the option to agree or disagree. In Care of Magical Creatures, the player asks Kettleburn about Acromantuals, and depending on the excuse the player gives him, they can earn house points. When asked about fighting the spiders, Kettleburn reveals that though there are spells to do so, he refuses to use them as he finds violence rarely helpful in dealing with magical creatures, and because he believes Acromantuals are 'excellent conversationalists'. The player then trains with Bill, who has them duel with Charlie. Rakepick then has the player meet them in the Transfiguration classroom, and teaches the player a spider-repelling spell. Rakepick also reveals that she is aware that the player was attacked by an unknown wizard, and warns them to be careful of those closest to them. Rakepick leaves, taking back Sickleworth for her own investigations.
Chapter 15: Dark Secrets
The player goes to Hagrid's Hut, where they notice the hut has been taken over by Bundimun. They look for Fang's lost toy and, after finding it, tell Hagrid that Torvus wants him to come look for the Cursed Vault. Later, the player meets up with Rowan and Charlie in the Clocktower Courtyard, where the cloaked figure attacks the three. They are then saved by Rakepick. The figure is revealed to be Ben Copper, who appears to have no memory of attacking the three. Rowan does not trust Ben. The player gets to decide whether Rakepick takes Ben to the Hospital Wing, Filch's office or Dumbledore's office. The player returns to Hagrid's hut and gets rid of the Bundimun.
Chapter 16: The Forest Vault
The player meets Charlie in the Artefact Room, where he feels it is safest from any further attacks from R. The player reviews their plans with Charlie, and the player has the option to take Penny, Bill or Rowan with them into the cursed vault. The player then meets with their friend of choice in the Great Hall and convinces them to join the party.
The player then meets Hagrid and Torvus with their group in the Forest Grove, and Torvus takes them to the Spider's Lair, where the cursed vault is covered by Acromantula webs. The Acromantula returns, and reveals they chose this place as their nest because the sleepwalkers would come right to them, allowing them an easy meal, but Torvus began stepping in and preventing the sleepwalkers from reaching the Acromantula. The Acromantula becomes hostile and says they're owed a meal, and traps Torvus, Charlie and Hagrid with their webs. If the player brought Bill, he will begin to cast Stupfey at the Acromantula to keep it subdued while the player frees the others. (Penny will throw the Elixar to Induce Euphoria at it, and Rowan will trick the Acromantula into thinking there's a Basilisk in the forest, as all spiders fear them.)
Once everyone is freed, the player will duel the Acromantula, who will flee after its defeat. Finding the door to the vault, the player uses the Severing Charm to remove the webs blocking it, and enters. Within the vault, the player tries to touch the vault to open it, but nothing happens. The player then hears the mysterious voice they believe to belong to Jacob, who tells the player that they're "nearly there", but that all vaults but the last one are false, meant to be distractions and traps. The voice reveals they are trapped within the next vault, and that only the player can free them. The voice says then they can find the final vault together, as "they" cannot be allowed to find it first. Using Torvus' arrow, the player touches the column again, which opens to reveal a portrait of a dragon and a small sweater. Torvus leaves, hoping with his heirloom returned he can rejoin his herd.
Exiting the vault, the group encounters Dumbledore and Filch. For continuing to "exhibit little respect for Hogwarts' rules - and its Headmaster" the player will sentenced to serve detention under Pitts the House-elf in the kitchens, to begin the first day of their Fifth-Year, until the player has "learned their lesson".
In the Three Broomsticks the player celebrates breaking the sleepwalking curse with all of their friends except for Ben Cooper, who has hardly been seen since the teachers released him. Ben still claims not to remember anything, and the teachers are still investigating what happened. Hagrid arrives and says Dumbledore wants to see the player. In Dumbledore's office, Rakepick arrives via Floo, and reveals she's agreed to become the DADA professor for the next school year.
Chapter 17: End-of-Term Feast
The player attends the Leaving Feast, and Professor McGonagall gives the Year-End Speech, as Professor Dumbledore is unavailable. McGonagall awards the House Cup, and if the player's house wins they're awarded 150 gems.
Chapter 1: Year 5 Begins
The player returns to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and meets with their friends in the Great Hall for the welcome speech by Professor McGonagall, as Professor Dumbledore is away. Penny Haywood introduces her sister, Beatrice, to the player. The player meets Professor Rakepick on the training grounds along with Merula Snyde and Bill Weasley. She informs them that they have been chosen as her curse-breaking apprentices and teaches them the Incarcerous Spell. The player then meets Ben Copper in the courtyard to discuss the attack which happened last year. At the end of their conversation a hooded figure attacks both of them and informs the player that they are still needed but that one of their friends must die by the end of the year. The player also completes the Ghoul and Cheering Charm lessons.
Chapter 2: Grave Danger
The player meets Merula and a mystery guest who is Bill at The Three Broomsticks. Penny then rushes in saying that Beatrice is missing after she didn't return to her common room after class. The player searches the Red Cap’s hole with Merula, Bill or Penny. They see a rat there and you think it’s Scabbers. Then they go to the Spider’s Lair and duel the Acromantula they met in their previous year.
Penny attempts to brew a potion to access Beatrice's mind, but it fails. Merula finds Beatrice in a portrait and informs the player and Rakepick. Rakepick comes to the conclusion that Beatrice being stuck in a portrait is linked to the next Cursed Vault.
Chapter 3: Detention Before Extension
The player goes to the kitchen for detention where Pitts assigns them the task of making sandwiches. At the end of detention the player meets Jae Kim, who was also given detention for smuggling banned items into Hogwarts, and then selling them. Jae offers the player an item free of charge since they're sharing detentions, and the player has a choice between Fizzing Whizzbees, a Probity Probe and a Revealer. The player then offers to have Jae join them in the library to research Beatrice's condition. Jae agrees, mentioning he's never been to the library before. At the Library, the player introduces Jae to Rowan Khanna, Tulip Karasu and Barnaby Lee, and they study ways to help Beatrice. The player comes up with the idea that the portrait Beatrice is stuck in has been magically expanded, and decide to ask Professor Flitwick for more information.
In charms class, Flitwick reveals he agrees there is a chance the portrait has been expanded, and teaches a class on the charm. After class, the player asks Flitwick how he thinks they can help Beatrice, and Flitwick says he suggests letting the Professors and Ministry personnel find a solution, but adds he knows that the player is 'incapable of standing idly by', and suggests the player speak to Nearly Headless Nick.
The player finds Nick visiting Beatrice, and Nick reveals that sometime within the last decade he remembered a rumour of someone being trapped in a painting in the Lower Chambers Portrait Corridor, but by the time he arrived, the person had already been freed, if they'd ever been trapped at all. The player questions the paintings surrounding Beatrice, and they reveal Beatrice touched the painting she is trapped in after she heard crackling and wings flapping coming from the portrait, and was immediately pulled into it. The portrait of Merlin says he believes the painting is trap leading to 'something much worse' and that an unknown person has been tampering with the portraits for some time. Nick suggests the player go speak to Badeea Ali in the Clocktower Courtyard, as she experiments with painting magical portraits.
Chapter 4: Opposite Day
In the Clocktower Courtyard, the player finds Badeea Ali and introduces themselves, as Badeea, consumed with her art, does not pay much attention to anything else and hasn't heard of them. Badeea is painting Hogsmeade, and enchanting the portrait to change from daytime to nighttime, with the village becoming covered in snow, but reveals she has been trying to paint Beatrice, as the idea of both Beatrice being trapped somewhere "imaginary" and painting a portrait of someone who is trapped inside a portrait is fascinating to her. Badeea reveals she hasn't managed to make the portrait act like Beatrice yet, but she that she still has many spells to try. Badeea agrees to teach the player what she knows about magical portraits, and at the end advises the player to take an innovative approach to their problem, by doing things they'd normally never do.
In detention, the player meets Jae Kim again, and he reveals he's been trying to get Badeea to teach him how to apparate, as she already knows how to. The player decides to act as if they love serving detention, which Pitts says distracts the other House-elves, and orders them not to return until they're once again 'miserable'. The player decides to meet with Merula and flatter her until she agrees to help them save Beatrice, which works. Merula suggests that the player let her finish her current line of research, while the player should attempt to track down the Marauder's Map, as Rakepick is after it. Merula suggest asking Flich about it.
In the Great Hall, the player has Jae help them sneak Filch a gift, hoping the shock of it will put him in a good enough mood for the player to get answers to their questions. The gift is revealed to be a cake, decorated with Mrs Norris' face in frosting, and with frosted shackles around the sides of the cake. Filch declares it the happiest day of his life, and only because of that, agrees to speak to the player. Filch reveals he used to have the map, but it was stolen form his office, and whomever did so made a mess of the place doing so. Filch suspects Peeves was the one who stole it.
Jae has the player meet him in the Defence Against the Dark Arts Classroom, as he believes it being the nosiest and most destructive class will appeal to Peeves. The player has the option of trying to get Peeves attention by casting a spell, drinking a fire-breathing potion, or shouting for him. Peeves arrives and has trouble remembering anything about the Marauder's Map, but eventually remembers "his friend" said not to help them, as he hates Jacob more than potions.
The player decides to ask Severus Snape if he knows anything about the Marauder's Map. After Potions class, the player speaks to Snape, who furious at the mention of the Marauder's, refuses to speak about them, but gives the player a warning that Penny Haywood has become consumed by the recent tragedy of losing her sister and that she will soon find a "direct path to self-destruction".
Chapter 5: Penny, Portraits, Peace and Pressure
It is requested that this article, or a section of this article, should be expanded. Please help the Harry Potter Wiki by expanding this article to give more complete coverage of its subject.
When the Draught of Peace is done brewing, the player has the option to advise Penny to drink it.
Chapter 6: The Ghosts of Hogwarts
Chapter 7: The Life and Death of Duncan Ashe
Chapter 8: Trial by Fire
Chapter 9: Dangerous Friends
Chapter 10: Knockturn Alley
This quest introduces you to special pets, such as Crups and Kneazles. There are no choices. You earn +50 Empathy, 1 coin, and 100XP.
Gobstones with Friends
This quest is just a regular game of Gobstones with one of your friends. You earn +50 Empathy, 1 diamond, and 150XP.
A Friend in Need
- "Ben Copper, the cowardly Gryffindor, has a good heart and a preternatural gift for Charms work…he could use a friend like you."
- —Quest description[src]
Afraid to Fly
Roughly takes place during Chapter 7, consisting 4 stages:
- Meet Rowan
- Study with Ben
- Talk to Ben
- Attend Flying Class
Ben continued to feel worried about flying which gave the player the idea to help Ben feel okay with flying by using the Levitation Charm on him. They tell Ben to find them in the Courtyard later. They use the Levitation Charm on Ben but he is still nervous about flying so the player agrees to help Ben at Flying class. The player has the choice of how to help Ben and encourage him throughout the class. Ben finds a new-found confidence for flying and thanks the player for their help. Ben tells Madam Hooch and they both receive ten points for their Houses.
Test of Strength
Roughly takes place during Chapter 8, consisting 4 stages:
- Report to Angelica/Chester/Jane/Felix
- Duel Ben
- Study with Rowan
- Duel Angelica/Chester/Jane/Felix
The Prefect also asks the player for a word and tells them they are hoping to continue preparing the player for future challenges by continuing to teach them duelling with Ben. Ben agrees to continue helping the player because it will improve his duelling too. The player decides whether they should learn by having a proper go at duelling each other or whether to go easy on Ben.
They will then duel Ben. Ben will only use the Defence option and the player should use the Sneaky option to defeat him. The Prefect then tells the player to research duelling because they will be duelling the Prefect next. The player and Rowan later meet up to plan the duel they will have with the Prefect. Rowan gathered every duelling book they found and offers to help the player read through them. They then study duelling together. The player then thanks Rowan.
Rowan notices that the player spends little time building friendships with the people in their house, and asks them to spend time with their fellow house friends. The player agrees and then they gather at the Training Grounds to duel the Prefect. The Prefect and the player duel. The player needs to pay attention to the pattern of the Prefect's actions in order to know what to do to defeat them. The player then decides whether they want to tell everyone they won or whether to keep it between them and the Prefect.
House Meeting I
Note: This Side Quest has a different name depending on the the player's House.
- Gryffindor: "You're a Gryffindor"
- Ravenclaw: "You're a Ravenclaw"
- Hufflepuff: "You're a Hufflepuff"
- Slytherin: "You're a Slytherin"
Roughly takes place during Chapter 9, consisting 2 stages:
- Talk to Rowan
- Attend the House Meeting
As a Ravenclaw or a Hufflepuff, the player gathers with people in their house, including Rowan and the Prefect to talk about and revise for their classes. As a Slytherin, their house also brainstorms on how to win the House Cup. The player has the option of being part of planning for revision or to go along with the other's plans. As a Gryffindor, their house talk about beating Slytherin in the upcoming Quidditch game.
House Meeting II
Note: This Side Quest has a different name depending on the the player's House.
- Gryffindor: "Gryffindor Goals"
- Ravenclaw: "Ravenclaw Rules"
- Hufflepuff: "Hufflepuff Helps"
- Slytherin: "Slytherin Schemes"
Roughly takes place during Chapter 3, consisting 3 stages:
- Meet with Rowan
- Attend the House Meeting
- Show Your Stuff
The Prefect of the player's House decides they need to make Slytherin pay for their treachery. If the player is Slytherin, the Slytherin Prefect decides they need to get revenge on Gryffindor for being obnoxious about winning the Gryffindor and Slytherin Quidditch game. They create a plan and the player decides who should be the leader. They agree to gather in the Clocktower Courtyard.
Roughly takes place during Chapter 4, consisting 4 stages:
- Talk to Penny
- Attend to Potions Class
- Defeat Penny
- Defeat Merula
Merula Snyde is embarrassed that she lost to you last year and wants to have a rematch! The player will try to convince her otherwise and to put it behind her, but she will force it upon the player anyway. Penny offers you help in the courtyard for training.
Roughly takes place during Chapter 6, consisting 5 stages:
- Visit Madam Pomfrey
- Get Ingredients from Snape
- Talk to Madam Pomfrey
- Study Treatments
- Tend to Patients
Can appear before the completion of the side quest above. Roughly takes place during Chapter 6, consisting 10 stages:
- Talk to Hagrid (Courtyard)
- Talk to Hagrid (Great Hall)
- Meet with Rowan
- Gather Lavender
- Gather Dragon Horns
- Gather Fire Seeds
- Meet Hagrid (Training Grounds)
- Talk to Snape
- Meet Hagrid (Great Hall)
- Meet Hagrid (Corridor)
Can appear before the completion of the side quest above, consisting 5 stages:
- Talk to Madam Pomfrey (I)
- Research Sleepwalking
- Talk to Madam Pomfrey (II)
- Study Episkey
- Learn Episkey
Can appear before the completion of the two side quests above. Should appear after completing Part 3/4 of the Story of Chapter 8, consisting only 1 stage:
- Talk to Bill
Note: This Side Quest has a different name and a different task depending on the the player's House. Can appear before the completion of Sleep Walker, consisting 2 stages:
- Gryffindor: "Team Gryffindor"
- Professor McGonagall informs Jacob's sibling the Gryffindor Keeper misplaced their Broom Wax, she'd like it to be found before their game with the Ravenclaw Quidditch team.
- Meet with McGonagall
- Find Broom Wax
- Ravenclaw: "Take Note"
- Eliza asks Rowan and Jacob's sibling whether they can help find her missing notes in the Ravenclaw Common Room before her Potions exam.
- Meet with Eliza
- Find Eliza's Notes
- Hufflepuff: "A Sweet Assignment"
- Philip asks Rowan and Jacob's sibling whether they have some sweets for he wants to repay someone for the kindness they've shown.
- Meet with Philip
- Find Sweets
- Slytherin: "Severe Consequences"
- Professor Snape is upset with Slytherin about finding out for the supposed bullying Slytherins did after the Gryffindor and Slytherin Quidditch game.
- Meet with Snape
- Find vial
Takes place from Chapter 1 onward, consisting 6 stages:
- Talk to Hagrid
- Look for Fang (Artefact Room with Ben)
- Look for Fang (Potions Classroom with Penny)
- Look for Fang (Transfiguration Classroom with Rowan)
- Look for Fang (Library with Bill)
- Meet Hagrid
Rubeus Hagrid asks if the player wants to visit him. It needs level 15 in Compassion to unlock.
Penny for Your Thoughts
Takes place during Chapter 4, consisting 4 stages:
- Talk to Penny (Great Hall)
- Meet Penny
- Talk to Penny (Potions Classroom)
- Help Penny
Wizarding World Famous
Takes place during Chapter 7, consisting 10 stages:
- Gather in the Courtyard (I)
- Listen to Speaker
- Gather in the Courtyard (II)
- Impress Rita in Potions Class
- Impress Rita in Transfiguration
- Impress Rita in Flying Class
- Impress Rita in Charms Class
- Gather in the Training Grounds
- Talk to Rita
- Gather in the Great Hall
Can appear before the completion of the side quest above, consisting 3 stages:
- Talk to Bill (I)
- Meet Emily
- Talk to Bill (II)
Farewell My Prefect
Can appear before the completion of the two side quests above, consisting 5 stages:
- Talk to Angelica/Chester/Jane/Felix (House Common Room) (I)
- Meet Angelica/Chester/Jane/Felix (Training Grounds)
- Talk to Angelica/Chester/Jane/Felix (Potions Classroom)
- Meet Angelica/Chester/Jane/Felix (Herbology Classroom)
- Talk to Angelica/Chester/Jane/Felix (House Common Room) (II)
Nearly Headless Nick
Consisting 6 stages:
- Talk to Angelica
- Search for Clues with Nick (Charms Classroom)
- Search for Clues with Nick (Artefact Room)
- Search for Clues with Nick (Potions Classroom)
- Search for Clues with Nick (House Common Room)
- Meet Angelica
Consisting of 8 stages:
- Help Penny
- Meet Penny
- Search for Ingredients
- Meet Liz
- Brew Polyjuice Potion
- Get Snape's Hair
- Finish the Polyjuice Potion!
- Impersonate Snape!
Merula steals Penny's potion and is praised for the work in the Great Hall.
Takes place during Chapter 10, consisting 6 stages:
- Talk to Rita Skeeter
- Visit Hagrid
- Visit Torvus in the Forest
- Visit Professor Kettleburn
- Visit the Restricted Section
- Meet Dumbledore
The Trouble with Tonks
Takes place during Chapter 11, consisting 6 stages:
- Talk to Tonks
- Help Tonks in Herbology
- Visit Zonko's with Tonks
- Trick Flich
- Learn a Spell With Tonks
- Meet Tonks At Night
Yer a Prefect!
Takes places during Chapter 1 if "Become a Prefect!" achievement is completed, consisting 6 stages:
- Meet Bill in the Prefects' Bathroom
- Meet Elora in the Artefact Room
- Meet Elora on the Training Grounds
- Check on Tulip's Mischief (Care of Magical Creatures)
- Go to Dumbledore's Office to discuss punishments
- Meet the Prefects at The Three Broomsticks
Takes place at some point between Year 4 Chapter 16 and Year 5 Chapter 3, consisting 8 stages:
- Meet Charlie (Great Hall)
- Meet Charlie (Three Broomsticks)
- Visit the Red Cap Hole with Charlie
- Check in with Charlie
- Work at The Three Broomsticks/Work at Zonko's/Search Filch's Office
- Meet Alistair
- Consult Hagrid
- Follow Hagrid
Takes place in Year 5, consisting 7 stages:
- Investigate the Commotion
- Talk to Ismelda
- Help Penny/Andre/Liz Tutor Ismelda
All Achievements, sans "Magical Creatures Everywhere", occur as 3-day limited-time events, consisting 4-part Side Quests.
The Hallowe'en Feast
On the Hunt
Wolf in Wizard's Clothing
The Big Bad Werewolf
|Upon completion:||Upon completion:||Upon completion:||Upon completion:|
It is requested that this article, or a section of this article, should be expanded. Please help the Harry Potter Wiki by expanding this article to give more complete coverage of its subject.
Happy Birthday, Hagrid!
Use Your Charms
Very Special Guests
Hagrid's Magical Birthday Party
Christmas at Hogwarts
It is requested that this article, or a section of this article, should be expanded. Please help the Harry Potter Wiki by expanding this article to give more complete coverage of its subject.
Become a Rockstar!
Become an Animagus!
Become an Animagus!
Time For Your Transformation
Become a Prefect!
Occurs specifically upon the completion of Chapter 11:
Become a Prefect!
Earn Your Badge
You Are Almost a Prefect!
Magical Creatures Everywhere
Let the Festivities Begin!
Find a Date
Let's Have a Ball!
|Upon completion:||Upon completion:||Upon completion:||Upon completion:|
- Attribute: Empathy
- Rewards: +5 Gems; Usable in Dueling
- Attribute: Knowledge
- Rewards: +5 Gems; Usable in Dueling
- Attribute: Courage
- Rewards: +1 Energy Limit
- Attribute: Knowledge
- Rewards: +5 Gems; Usable in Dueling
- Attribute: Empathy
- Rewards: +5 Gems
Care of Magical Creatures
- Attribute: Courage
- Rewards: +5 Gems
Defence Against the Dark Arts
- Attribute: Courage
- Rewards: +5 Energy, Useable in Dueling
- Year 5
- Hex-Deflection (Salvio Hexia)
- Trip Jinx
- Lacarnum Inflamari
- Curse of the Bogies (taught by Ismelda)
- Reductor Curse
History of Magic
- Attribute: Knowledge
- Rewards: +5 Energy, +5 Gems
- Year 5
- Medieval Assembly of European Wizards
- Giant Wars
- Goblin Rebellion of 1612
- International Statute of Secrecy
- Witch Hunts of 14th Century
- Jacob's sibling - whom the character controls, and whose name, appearance and house are determined by the player
|Name||House||Acquaintance||Friendship established||Friendship gift|
|Rowan Khanna||same as the player||Year 1 Chapter 1||Year 1 Chapter 3||Rowan's glasses|
|Ben Copper||Gryffindor||Year 1 Chapter 3||Year 1 Chapter 4||Icy robes|
|Penny Haywood||Hufflepuff||Year 1 Chapter 6||Year 1 Chapter 8||Potions belt and plain shirt|
|Bill Weasley||Gryffindor||Year 2 Chapter 6||Year 2 Chapter 7||Weasleys' sweater|
|Nymphadora Tonks||Hufflepuff||Year 3 Chapter 1||Year 3 Chapter 1||Tonks' hairstyle|
|Tulip Karasu||Ravenclaw||Year 3 Chapter 5||Year 3 Chapter 6||Dungbomb necklace|
|Barnaby Lee||Slytherin||Year 3 Chapter 2||Year 3 Chapter 9||Sweater with house crest|
|Andre Egwu||Ravenclaw||Year 2 Chapter 1||Year 4 Chapter 1||Pride of Portree jersey|
|Charlie Weasley||Gryffindor||Year 4 Chapter 1||Year 4 Chapter 3||Charlie's hairstyle|
|Jae Kim||Gryffindor||Year 5 Chapter 3||Year 5 Chapter 3||Unknown|
|Badeea Ali||Ravenclaw||Year 5 Chapter 4||Year 5 Chapter 4||Unknown|
|Liz Tuttle||Slytherin||Year 3 Side Quest|
|Year 5 Chapter 8||Unknown|
|Diego Caplan||Hufflepuff||Year 5 Chapter 16||Year 5 Chapter 19||Unknown|
- Prefects (Year 1-3)
- Merula Snyde - Slytherin school bully and enemy of the player
- Ismelda Murk - friend of Merula Snyde in Slytherin
- Jacob - the player's missing brother
- Talbott Winger - Ravenclaw in the player's year
- Beatrice Haywood - Penny's little sister 4 years smaller than the player
- Percy Weasley - Bill and Charlie's younger brother
- Philip and Chauncy - appear for Hufflepuff players only
- Unidentified Gryffindor Keeper - mentioned for Gryffindor players only
- Eliza - appears for Ravenclaw players only
- Emily Tyler - Gryffindor in Bill's year
- Elora Dunn - student in the player's house 4 years below them
- Gryffindor boy who struggled with the Levitation Charm - appears in Charms and History of Magic classes
- Chiara Lobosca - a werewolf girl
- Weird Sisters
- Billingsley (Mentioned only)
- Luisa (Mentioned only)
- Thorin (Mentioned only)
|Filius Flitwick||Charms Professor||Head of Ravenclaw|
|Severus Snape||Potions Professor||Head of Slytherin|
|Rolanda Hooch||Flying Instructor||Quidditch coach and referree|
|Minerva McGonagall||Transfigurations Professor||Head of Gryffindor, Deputy Headmaster|
|Pomona Sprout||Herbology Professor||Head of Hufflepuff|
|Silvanus Kettleburn||Care of Magical Creatures Professor||N/A|
|Unnamed professor (1984-1985)||Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor|
|Unnamed professor (1985-1986)|
|Unnamed professor (1986-1987)|
|Unnamed professor (1987-1988)|
|Patricia Rakepick||Head Curse-Breaker at Gringotts Wizarding Bank|
|Cuthbert Binns||History of Magic Professor||N/A|
|Sybill Trelawney||Divination Professor|
|Aurora Sinistra||Astronomy Professor|
|Pitts||House-elf working in the kitchens|
The following characters never appear in the game, and are not Hogwarts students or staff members during the events of the game. They were mentioned in a trivia hint, were a selectable option in a trivia answer or mentioned by other characters.
- Magical Creatures Reserve
- Dark Forest
- Rocky Mountains
- Volcanic Pasture
- East Towers, entry available in Year 1 Chapter 2
- West Towers, entry available in Year 1 Chapter 2
- Dumbledore's Office, entry available in Year 2, through invite only
- Gryffindor House, Gryffindor only
- Prefects' Bathroom, Prefects' only
- Ravenclaw House, Ravenclaw only
- Filch's Office, entry available in Year 3 (during specific quests)
- Corridor, hidden location
- Lower Floor - West, entry available in Year 1 Chapter 2
- Dungeons, entry available in Year 1 Chapter 2
- Hufflepuff House, Hufflepuff only
- Kitchens, hidden location
- Potions Classroom
- Slytherin House, Slytherin only
- Duelling Club, entry available when Duelling Club's in session
- Castle Grounds, entry available in Year 1 Chapter 2
- Lower Floor - East, entry available in Year 2
- Hogsmeade, entry available in Year 3 Chapter 3 (can be temporarily accessed during the Giant Problems side quest)
- Forbidden Forest, entry available in Year 4 Chapter 6
- Forest Grove
- Spider's Lair, entry available in Year 4 (specific tasks only)
- Forest Lake, entry available in Year 7
- Red Cap's Hole, entry available in Year 4 (specific tasks only)
- Centaur Camp, entry available in Year 6
- Diagon Alley, first available in Year 1 Chapter 1, later unlocked in Year 5 Chapter 10
The player will receive choices to make throughout the game. The answers they give from a number of three possible answers can determine which wand they receive, how strong their friendship with another character will be or how to deal with a situation which could have an impact on them later in the story. They have the choice of rewards which help contribute to the Courage, Empathy and Knowledge level of the player. The rewards can be earned in classes or by completing pieces of the story. Certain choices may only be available if the player's Courage, Empathy or Knowledge level are high enough.
Levelling up will have all energy restored. By tapping on the character's face on the upper left, current level and level progress bar will be visible underneath the character's name. When the bar is full the player levels up.
The player completes each chapter for both the classes or the story by using energy to complete tasks. The initial full limit of the player's energy is 24, though it can be broadened throughout the game. When the player uses one energy it will take four minutes for the energy to be added back to the game. The number of energy one general task will take varies between 1 and 5, in special cases, when the outline is red instead of blue, it can take up to 13.
Throughout the game, there are hidden opportunities to gain energy by clicking on a certain character or item. They are known to include:
- Clicking on Borf when he appears between the Grasslands and Forest, so that he reacts and runs away.
- Clicking on the empty portrait placed next to the Charms Classroom so the Girl with Flowers will reappear
- Clicking on Peeves when he appears between the portrait of Fytherley Undercliffe and the Divination Classroom, so that he laughs and vanishes.
- Clicking on the still-life painting in the West Towers that contains white flowers in what appears to be a tree trunk so that three oranges will reappear and the white flowers bounce.
- Clicking on the middle of the three suits of armour on the right of the Great Hall entrance when the middle suit is holding a sword and the right suit a shield, so that they will switch what they are holding.
- Clicking on the unlit torch on the right of the Great Hall entrance so that it will relight.
- Clicking on the unidentified house-elf near the Hogwarts kitchens when it appears to be asleep so that it will run back to the kitchen.
- Clicking on the small branch on the path between the Whomping Willow and Hagrid's Hut so that Fang will fetch it and run down to Hagrid's.
- Clicking on the disorganised books on the bench between the Library and the History of Magic Classroom so that they will be neatly stacked.
- Clicking on the student with a sled standing in the alley between Three Broomsticks and Honeydukes so that he will slide down.
- Clicking a spider web in the Forbidden Forest so that the web will flop down and the black spider there will hide in the big tree roots and the web will spring back up again.
The player cannot go over the energy limit except in a few instances (buying energy with diamonds, levelling up friendships, duelling club). Thus, tapping the above locations with a full energy bar will not help the player get more energy.
Sometimes when the player runs out of energy in the middle of a task, the option of watching a 30 second advertisement to get 3 bolts of energy would be presented. One must keep pressing until seeing the "Out of Energy" message in order to see this option.
The game offers a reward or purchase of coins and diamonds which can be used to buy in-app purchases including more energy or even clothes, hairstyles and accessories for the character. The coins will also need to be used to complete a certain part of the chapter including 100 coins to build a relationship with another character or learning to duel.
At the beginning of Year 1 Chapter 7, a special 48 hour sale is prompted to buy 130 gems for $0.99 (originally $4.99).
The player will win or lose House points throughout the game which could depend on their choices. Their ranking will be placed on the Leaderboard for how many points they have earned overall for the House. They will be placed in a list of randomised students and their choices could have an impact on the House placement in the rankings overall. The winner of the House Cup at the end of the year will be rewarded with an increasing number of Gems beginning with 100 Gems for first year, 125 Gems for second year, and 150 Gems for third year.
Story, classes, and side quests
The game-playing takes places in two sections: the story and the classes aspect, with the addition of side quests. The player will not need in each chapter to complete a class or a side quest and then move on to the story. They can complete in the order and the pace they decide. However, the game will not allow the player to move on to the next chapter or part of the chapter unless the player completes both the story and class.
To complete a class, the player earns stars within a time limit choice of either 1hr, 3hrs or 8hrs which effect the number of stars they can earn and therefore the rewards. If reaching the maximum star before the class hour is up, the player can leave class early. In each class, they will have to trace spells or rotate potions in an similar way to an old Pottermore feature. The player could be asked a question about the subject during the class, and providing the right answer will reward the player with their choice of energy, points, coins or diamonds. Everyone will receive the same questions but the order in which they are asked throughout each chapter will be randomised. For example, one player could answer the same question earlier in the game than another player who will receive another question instead at that point.
When encountering a duel, the game offers three choices: Sneaky, Defensive and Aggressive. Sneaky defeats Defensive, Aggressive defeats Sneaky and Defensive defeats Aggressive. If losing, the player may spend a certain number of coins awarded in the game, and try again.
The occasional Duelling Club events may grant different prizes for every win; the Duelling Room is located in Dungeons; when opened, the player gets 3 tickets for the entire time period. For every duel won, would sometimes earn +4 energy or be rewarded with coins.
In the App update released on 30 May, 2018, players now are able to build friendship outside of the main story arc. This new feature disabled the old "Explore" function those three locations used to have, in which the player could enter, but only to look around as there was no interactive setup.
- Meal with a Friend: Located at the Great Hall, 10hrs for the next cycle after playing; costs 85 coins.
- Play Gobstones: Located at the Courtyard, 16hrs for the next cycle after playing; costs 100 coins.
- Drink Butterbeer: Located at the Three Broomsticks, 16hrs for the next cycle after playing; costs 100 coins.
Tapping the character icons of friends on the bottom right of the screen, shows friendship levels. After a certain level, the reward for levelling up friendship is energy. The higher the next friendship level, the higher the energy reward (+5, +10, +15, etc.) until reaching max friendship level.
It is possible that, with future updates, the player will be able to date other characters as their friendship advances to a greater level; this was hinted by Andre Egwu at Hogsmeade during the third year. Some commentators believe that those may include same-sex dates as well as opposite-sex ones.
In the App update released on 26 June, 2018, players now have the option to purchase pets. Players can purchase a Ginger Cat, an owl, a white rat, or a toad. The player can keep a pet with them at all times, with additional pets being kept in the player's dormitory. Tapping and awakening sleeping pets can give players energy. In an update on the 28 September, 2018, it became possible to purchase magical pets, a crup and a streeler. Both of these are available to purchase with notebooks, a new currency available through completing classes and events.
Behind the scenes
- It was released on the 24th of April in some countries.
- Side Quests can carry over to the next school Year, though it is suggested to complete them during the Year they were released in, in order to keep the plot within continuity.
- While players are only able to interactively participate in Charms, Potions, and Flying during year 1, Transfiguration as an addition in year 2, Herbology as an addition in year 3; the characters of the players are actually attending all canon classes.
- In Year 1 for example, if the player is in Hufflepuff, Rowan Khanna will mention Herbology and say it would have been more enjoyable were they not having to worry about a murderous plant. It was later brought up in the Side Quests of Chapter 8 in Year 1 in Hufflepuff's house meeting, where they discussed how to help their Head of House, Pomona Sprout, amongst other things. Depending on the players' choice, one conclusion was to help out their Professor clean up after their class.
- In Year 2 Chapter 5, when visiting Rowan in the Hospital Wing, Jacob's sibling brought their star chart from Astronomy Class.
- The player may create their own name if they wish, but there are player names which are banned for unknown reasons, including the name Roland. However, should one feel that their names may be mistakenly excluded, the game developer, Jam City, stated that they welcome the feedback so they can take a closer look.
- Interestingly, the name "Jacob" is not banned, meaning that both the player and his/her brother can share the same name.
- On the leaderboard, the majority of the names of other students and their appearance are randomised for that player, and the only names which are the same for everyone will be for game-playing characters like Merula Snyde or Ben Copper. The randomised names are similar and can even be the same, with popular surnames being Nguyen, Hernandez, Miller, Young, and Carter.
- The following characters were attending Hogwarts or would have begun attending Hogwarts during the years the player attended from 1984 until 1991. However, they have not been mentioned in relation to the game or are known to appear in the game: Gwenog Jones (graduated 1986/1987), Marcus Flint (Sorted 1986), Penelope Clearwater and Oliver Wood (Sorted 1987), Roger Davies, Angelina Johnson, Lee Jordan, Adrian Pucey, Alicia Spinnet, Patricia Stimpson, and Kenneth Towler (Sorted 1989), and Donaghan Tremlett (graduated 1990/1991).
- There were a few other characters from Harry Potter's early years at Hogwarts who would have attended around the same time including Quidditch players and Prefects like Terence Higgs and Robert Hilliard.
- Based solely on their birth year (though it is not known if they attended Hogwarts), these characters could also have attended Hogwarts during that time: Dunbar Oglethorpe (b. 1968), Heathcote Barbary (b. 1974), Herman Wintringham (b. 1974), Stanley Shunpike (b. 1974/1975), and Gideon Crumb (b. 1975).
- The additional Hogwarts staff from 1984 would have been composed of: Quirinus Quirrell (Muggle Studies, at least in the late 1980s). It is unknown if Bathsheda Babbling already taught Study of Ancient Runes.
- Even though the Duelling Club has been confirmed to feature in the game, it was originally created by Gilderoy Lockhart in the 1992–1993 school year. It is possible that several different Duelling Clubs were founded and dissolved throughout the history of Hogwarts.
- In Chapter 1 of Year 2, the player will be told they need to sneak into another House's common room to find an object. The House common room they will sneak into will be different for every House. It could be randomised and ensures the player simply went to another House’s common room. If there's a pattern, it appears Ravenclaw and Slytherin will sneak into the Gryffindor common room, and Hufflepuff and Gryffindor will sneak into the Slytherin common room.
- During Year 1, Professor Snape is mentioned to be petitioning for the Defence Against the Dark Arts position. The current DADA teacher was having trouble, and the curse on the position is mentioned by Rowan.
- Within the APK file of the game there exist various images of shapes that correspond to the shapes one must draw in order to cast spells. Many of these shapes are different from the shapes that are used in the final game. For example, a shape like a number four is used to represent Alohomora (similar to Wonderbook: Book of Spells), while the game uses a more circular gesture.
- In Hogsmeade, some shop names are shortened:
- The kitchens were previously shown as a location unlocked in Year 5 but the location was changed into a hidden location.
- When Year 3 was first released, in the friends section, Bill Weasley's year showed up as 3, even though it was supposed to be 5, and was correctly shown on the leaderboard. It was resolved in a couple of days.
- Tonks should be a friend to the player upon the completion of Chapter 1 in Year 3, yet various players for unknown reasons were unable to unlock her as friends, even completing to the point of waiting for the release of Year 4. This error limited those players, making them unable to pick Tonks to accompany them to the Vault of Fear, forcing them to choose only between Bill Weasley and Rowan Khanna. It was resolved on 5 June 2018.
- Andre Egwu and Ismelda Murk were initially missing from the Leaderboard; both were added after the update on 14 June 2018.
- Side Quest "Nearly Headless Nick":
- Sometimes appears four times in the side quest section, sometimes not at all.
- Sometimes, after reopening the app while waiting for a task, the ending cutscene of the previous task is shown again, although the waiting time does not reset, indicating that this is not due to the game not properly saving.
- Disappeared shortly after it was added, making it impossible for players to complete unless they were quick.
- All the above was later fixed on 28 June 2018.
- In Chapter 14 of Year 4, when the player learned Arania Exumai, it remained locked. This was fixed shortly afterwards.
- In Chapter 15 of Year 4, Hagrid referred to Jacob's sibling as "Firstname" instead of their actual first name. This was fixed shortly afterwards.
- After completing Chapter 14, Hagrid's Hut showed an "Explore" option but tapping it lead to the Courtyard. It was later fixed so tapping Explore lead to Hagrid's Hut instead.
- For a short while, Defence Against the Dark Arts classes gave empathy instead of courage. The Ghoul lesson, however, already gave courage when the class was added.
- 5-star Defence Against the Dark Arts classes could be completed with just 45 energy in total, giving players a faster way to earn house points and crests for special events. This was, however, fixed after around a week.
- Chapter 3 of Year 5 was added early, and the first quest got completed with just one action. If a player managed to enter the kitchens, they talking about Mundungus Fletcher, something which did not make sense storyline-wise. This Chapter was later removed and players were sent back to task 5 of Chapter 2, and were given 150 energy in return. The Chapter was added back two weeks later, and this time the glitches were fixed.
- For a short window, an achievement named "Howling Hallowe'en" was briefly located in Year 1, with Fenrir Greyback misspelled as "Fenrir Greenback" in its description, though the quest was no longer visible shortly afterwards. This typo was fixed and the achievement was added back to Year 1 on 18 October 2018.
- Prior to the release of the first part of year 5 friend characters whose standard outfits differed from the Hogwarts uniform would wear their standard outfits when appearing in classes rather than the uniform (even though this would have got them in trouble in real life), this was fixed upon release of the start of year five so characters always wear their uniform in classes.
- In Liz Tuttle's Year 4 quiz, when asked which object was found in the Forest Vault, dragon portrait used to be an incorrect answer choice despite it being true. This was later corrected.
- The world-class broomstick Firebolt was released in 1993, yet during Flying Classes as early in 1984, Firebolt could be mentioned in a few situations, predating the broom's canon existence by almost a decade:
- The question "A Firebolt is a type of what?" could be asked.
- Rolanda Hooch provides a trivia hint, telling the player to familiarise with "Cleansweep, Comet, Nimbus and Firebolt."
- A reduced statement "Cleansweep, Comet and Nimbus" is now offered, though the one with Firebolt is still around.
- The question "Which of these is not a broom?" could be asked, Firebolt being one of the choices.
- A couple of known students are missing from the Leaderboard, including:
- Badeea Ali, Diego Caplan, Jae Kim and Talbott Winger (should appear in Year 1 onward)
- Angelica Cole, Chester Davies, Jane Court, and Felix Rosier (should appear in Years 1-3)
- Billingsley (should at least appear in Years 1-5)
- Emily Tyler (should appear in Years 1-5)
- Eliza (should appear in Year 2 onward;) Chauncy and Philip (should at least appear in Year 2)
- Marcus Flint (should appear in Year 3 onward;) Luisa (should at least appear in Year 3)
- Penelope Clearwater, Percy Weasley and Oliver Wood (should appear in Year 4 onward)
- Lucian Bole, Peregrine Derrick, Elora Dunn and Beatrice Haywood (should appear in Year 5 onward)
- Chiara Lobosca (should appear at some point)
- The question on who the Divination Professor was could be asked, and one of the options was Professor Umbridge. The player character's wouldn't receive that as an option, because Professor Umbridge worked at the Ministry of Magic and would not become the unlikely Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor until 1995.
- Though Severus Snape gave a speech about "little foolish wand-waving [in Potions class]" during his introduction for the subject for the 1991–1992 school year, in the game, he clearly used his wand to move phials of ingredients to his potions when he demonstrates. The students, on the other hand, add the same ingredients by hand, though in certain situation, they would cast Lumos in order to properly look through the shelves to search for ingredients.
- It is possible that Snape did not consider this kind of magic foolish, or he was referring to subjects like Charms, where amateur students wave their wand around without success towards creating the spell. Or, he changed his teaching method at some point before the 1991–1992 school year.
- At the end of each year in the game, the House Cup is given out to the house with the most House points. While any house can win the cup in all of the years in the game, it is mentioned in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone that Slytherin has won the cup for six straight years, from the 1985–1986 school year to the 1990 to 1991 school year, which take place during Jacob's sibling's second to seventh years. This would also mean that Slytherin didn't win the cup in the 1984–1985 school year, which would take place during Jacob's sibling's first year. However, in the game, Slytherin can win the House Cup in that year.
- All classes contain students from a specific House instead of having two Houses in a class (not including Jacob's sibling and Rowan)
- All the Slytherin students are in Potions.
- All the Gryffindor students are in Charms.
- All the Ravenclaw students are in Transfiguration
- All the Hufflepuff students are in Herbology.
- Flying Class and Care for Magical Creatures are the only exceptions for there are students from every House (although Care of Magical Creatures shows a Slytherin majority, Charlie Weasley being the most notable exception).
- Ben and Penny were present in Care for Magical Creatures' first lesson but then disappeared after that, for they don't show up in any classes after that.
- In Potions Class, Jacob's sibling and Merula Snyde appear to share a cauldron. However, they are mentioned to brew potions separately.
- The hourglasses in the Great Hall do not accurately show the House Cup rankings.
- McGonagall is misspelled "McGongall" in some of Bill Weasley's friendship activities.
- Players on the leaderboard with clothes from events with clothing that appears different based on the player's house have clothes of the player's house regardless of the house they're in.
- Only one male fifth year student and one female fifth year student from each house can become Prefect each year. However, if Jacob's sibling is a male fifth year Gryffindor, they can become a Prefect despite Charlie Weasley, another male fifth year Gryffindor, also becoming a Prefect in the same year.
- In Chapter 2, Rowan and the player discuss their timetable when they first get to their Common Room on 1 September. However, students are not supposed to get their timetables until the next day. It is, however, possible, that this interaction actually takes place on 2 September, and their classes start on 3 September.
- Since 2 September 1984 was a Sunday, it makes it more likely classes only started on the third day that year instead of the second like normally.
- Side Quest "Happy Birthday, Hagrid!"
- Merula claims Dumbledore is about to give the player 100 house points for breaking the rules again. However, as the Side Quest takes place in Year 1 (as shown in its Achievements section,) the first occurrence of Dumbledore giving the player 100 house points has not happened yet.
- Charm to Cure Reluctant Reversers, learned during this Side Quest, lacks the usual hexagon shape as an icon in the list of things learned.
- When keeping watch over two students for Minerva McGonagall, one was established as a sixth year, the other a first year. After a confrontation, the sixth year was referred as a fifth year instead. The spells available to use in the duel seem to be up to date with the players current progress, hence including a lot more variety than what actual first year players would possess.
- Characters refer to Fang by his name although Fang is only named in the Year 2 Side Quest "Help Hagrid!"
- When babysitting Fang, the player has the option to use their Animagus form, a potential ability only gained in Side Quest "Become an Animagus!" that is set during Year 3, two years later.
- The Party Planner achievement is listed for year one, but in Potions class with Severus Snape, the player states they are in whichever year they are in when the quest was implemented leading to players in fifth year at the time stating they're a fifth year rather than stating they're a first year.
- Liz Tuttle and Talbott Winger both make appearances in the background and can be interacted with during Part 3 task 2 and Liz can also be interacted with in Part 3 task 3. These characters do not meet the player until Year 3 side quest "Polyjuice Potion" (Liz) and Year 3 achievement "Become an Animagus!" (Talbott). As this achievement supposedly takes place two years prior, the player shouldn't know who they are.
- If the player did not open the app between the introduction of this quest and the addition of Hallowe'en decorations, the common room and Great Hall ate decorated with pumpkins during the quest despite the fact that the quest is supposed to take place in early December.
- Side Quest "Howling Hallowe'en"
- Fenrir Greyback remained in human form while his two companions were in werewolf forms; Chiara Lobosca was revealed to be a werewolf as well, yet also remained in her human form in the same scene.
- Penny revealed her fear for werewolves and having a friend killed by one, which originally debut respectively in Chapter 1 of Year 3 and Side Quest "Penny for Your Thoughts", both over at least one year in the future of this Year 1 Side Quest.
- Even if the quest is meant to take place after "Penny for your thoughts", it could still be considered a mistake as Penny could drink the Forgetfulness Potion, causing her to forget about this event.
- Fenrir Greyback was noted to be strong, yet Jacob's sibling could easily defeat him in a duel.
- If you play “Howling Hallowe’en” in your second year when Ben is missing, the game will mistakenly show Ben in the Charms Classroom when you interview Professor Flitwick.
- Liz Tuttle, Barnaby Lee, and Ismelda Murk are all visible and can be interacted with in certain tasks. The player meets all three of them in Year 3, as this is a Year 1 achievement the player wouldn't have met them and shouldn't know who they are. Barnaby is also mentioned several times as if the player knows him as his uncle Cecil Lee plays a role in this event, yet as mentioned the player should have no clue who Barnaby is.
- The Christmas achievement is placed in Year 1, but everything in the quest seems to imply it takes place in Year 3 or later.
- Jacob's sibling already knows Bill, Tonks and Charlie.
- Prefect badges appear based on the player's progress.
- Penny mentions Scarlett, a mention which only makes sense if it happened before Side Quest "Penny for Your Thoughts" took place (sometime after the first herbology class during the 1986–1987 school year,) or if the player completed the said quest and persuaded Penny to not drink the Forgetfulness Potion.
- Information on whether Percy Weasley is already attending Hogwarts seems to be contradicting. Molly mentions Percy being at home alongside his younger siblings (Bill and Charlie specifically had to stay at Hogwarts due to the mess at the Burrow) but the player only wonders about meeting Fred, George, Ron and Ginny.
- In Chapter 1, Professor McGonagall will say Ben was upset about what happened to him when he was trapped in the cursed ice; this is referring to the arc taking place in Chapter 8 of Year 1, in which the player decides between bringing Penny or Ben to break into the Locked Room alongside Rowan. They will be trapped by the cursed ice and the player saves them. However, if the player had taken Penny instead of Ben, Ben wouldn't have even gone there. Therefore, what McGonagall says makes no sense in this scenario.
- In Chapter 3, if the player is in Hufflepuff or Gryffindor, they will sneak into the Slytherin Common Room to search for the Black Quill, and eventually be confronted upon leaving, by Felix Rosier, who brought along Severus Snape. However, Gemma Farley, when she became the Prefect to welcome Slytherin first years, informed them that no-one had knowingly snuck into the Slytherin Common Room for more than seven centuries. The game takes place in 1985, and Jacob's sibling was caught sneaking out of the room, contradicting Gemma, unless Snape and Rosier never told anyone.
- In the beginning of Chapter 5, Rowan is in the Hospital Wing due to being hit by the cursed ice when searching for the Cursed Vaults. Rowan appears in classes during that chapter even when they were supposedly being hospitalised. It is later explained that Pomfrey helped Rowan get to Potions class, even though Jacob's sibling was unaware of this at the time.
- Rowan attended Flying class immediately following their interaction at the Hospital Wing where Rowan told the player to attend the class alone, since they were not allowed to leave yet and they would send an owl when they were allowed. Rowan then appears in the class anyway.
- The same kind of thing happens at the beginning of Year 2. Ben Copper immediately went missing at the beginning of the school year when he arrived at the school. If the player's in Gryffindor, they can continue to have interactions with Ben in the common room and throughout side quests even though they are looking for him in the main story.
- During Flying class, an action that requires tapping Penny has the text "Listen to Ben", even if Ben is not seen at all.
- In Side Quest "Help Hagrid!," when the player helps save Fang from Devil's Snare, Hagrid asks the player what he should name the dog and says he's a new puppy. However, Fang could be found in the game from the beginning in Year 1 which was a year ago by that point in the game. Fang wouldn't be new by then and it makes no sense why Hagrid would wait that long before naming him.
- In Side Quest "Sleep Walker," the sleep walking girl's appearance and house are inconsistent.
- In Chapter 9, when Hagrid was relaying how bad the cursed ice had spread throughout the school, Professor Sinistra's surname was misspelled as "Sinestra."
- Though her surname was spelled correctly in the in-class question "Who is the Astronomy professor?".
- In Chapter 10, the password Professor McGonagall used to open Dumbledore's office was "Iced Mice," when the correct name of the sweet in question is Ice Mice.
- Side Quest "The Weird Sisters!"
- Orsino Thruston is already at Hogwarts. However, he was born in 1976, meaning he should not start at Hogwarts until at least Year 4.
- In the Artefact Room, the player tells the player (using the player character's name) to keep going. It seems more reasonable that Myron, the only other person in the room, is supposed to say the line instead.
- Some characters (such as Barnaby Lee, Nymphadora Tonks, Ismelda Murk, Talbott Winger, Badeea Ali, Diego Caplan, Jae Kim, Liz Tuttle, Tulip Karasu and Charlie Weasley) that the player was established to not having met during Year Two are visible during the concert section. Whilst it is possible for these characters to attend the concert without having personally met the player, some such as Barnaby and Tonks can be interacted with during this section as if the player knows them, however as this is set prior to the player meeting them they would not know who these people are.
- In Side Quest "Giant Problems," when Fang needed to be found, the player can continue gaining one energy by clicking on the branch on the path to Hagrid's Hut, which makes the missing Fang appear.
- Jacob's sibling can access Hogsmeade in Chapter 1 if choosing to start the "Giant Problems" Side Quest. However, in Chapter 2, it will appear as if Jacob's sibling had never been to Hogsmeade.
- In Chapter 2, Jacob's sibling and Hagrid will talk about the Boggart they found. Jacob's sibling will ask Hagrid whether he's begun Defence Against the Dark Arts class yet, which makes no sense because Hagrid no longer attends school. The line was probably intended for Hagrid to say, but the game labelled the speaker as Jacob's sibling ("You") by accident.
- In Chapter 4, a background character at Zonko's Joke Shop is called "First-Year Boy". First-years and second-years are not allowed to go to Hogsmeade. Though it is possible that he managed to sneak into the village, like Harry Potter did when he didn't get the permission.
- In Side Quest "Farewell My Prefect," when brewing the Babbling Beverage and choosing to read the instructions, the player mentions Penny being there. Jacob's sibling and the Prefect are the only two in the Potions Classroom at the moment.
- In Side Quest "Wizarding World Famous", Professor Flitwick levitates Rita Skeeter with the Levitation Charm, which is only used to levitate objects and not people.
- Mice to Snuffboxes is learned in Transfiguration Class in Year 3. However, during the 1991–1992 school year, Harry and his Transfiguration Class learns this same spell in their first year and even have it on their practical exam.
- It could be that Professor McGonagall changed the order that she taught certain spells between Jacob's sibling's time at Hogwarts and Harry's time at Hogwarts.
- When Year 3 is completed, it is shown as "Chapter 8 completed" when it should be Chapter 11. For players who have reached Chapter 11 before its release on 7 June 2018, they do not get to see the official chapter title.
- Side Quest "Become an Animagus"
- If Jacob's sibling is in Hufflepuff, the exclamation of surprise upon seeing Penny Haywood in their Potions class would make no sense, for Penny should have been in the same class to begin with.
- During the Gobstones game with Talbott Winger, Charlie Weasley's voice clips are used.
- In Chapter 6, if both the player and Rowan are female when Jacob’s sibling tries to convince Rowan to go to the Forbidden Forest with them, she says that she might get detention and that it would decrease her chances of becoming Head Boy, even though this Rowan is a girl and would therefore aim to be Head Girl instead.
- In Chapter 12, Jacob's sibling talks to Tulip as if she is one of the sleepwalking students in the Hospital Wing, even though Tulip isn't afflicted with the curse at the moment and isn't even in the room.
- Side Quest "The Trouble with Tonks"
- In the library, a speech bubble is shown above nothing. When tapped, it shows the name Andre, even though Andre is nowhere to be seen.
- It is mentioned that Bellatrix Lestrange and Filch did not get along while she was attending Hogwarts, but Bellatrix graduated in 1969 or 1970 while Filch only started working at Hogwarts in around 1973.
- On the training grounds, two models of Tonks briefly appear before the beginning of the duel.
- In Chapter 16, if the player tries to convince Bill to join them, the text says the player made Barnaby feel better instead of Bill whenever the right answer is chosen.
- If the player was confirmed to be selected as a Prefect in the following year, some characters on the leaderboard can be seen wearing Prefect badges, even if they are below Year 4. The player's character would also have the badge on display when donning school uniform, even though they technically haven't actually become one at that point.
- The player will also wear a Prefect badge in all side quests taking before Year 4 in parts where they are forced to wear robes.
- Side Quest "Yer a Prefect"
- On the training grounds, two models of Elora Dunn briefly appear before the beginning of the duel.
- During the meeting of the Prefects in the Three Broomsticks Inn, Bill Weasley states that he chose to not wear his robes and Prefect badge to the meeting. However, Bill is still wearing his Prefect badge at the meeting.
- For some players, Beatrice Haywood's head and arms appear detached from the rest of her body when she is stuck in a portrait.
- Jae Kim and Badeea Ali can be interacted with in classes as early as Year 5 Chapter 1 but when the player meets them in the story, they are complete strangers.
- In Chapter 3 of Year 5, Hufflepuff students can be seen attending Charms class alongside Gryffindors and Rowan, even if the player is in a house other than Hufflepuff.
- The player is told to get a specific outfit for Knockturn Alley. However, in Chapter 10, the person who comes alongside Jacob's sibling wears their normal outfit instead of a disguise.
- In Chapter 10, Ollivander says the player has the Hornbeam wand, regardless of which of the three wands they got in Year 1 Chapter 1.
- In the Portuguese translation, the information given by Ollivander is even more incorrect. He refers to the wand as a birch wand, which was not one of the original three options. He also gives the wand's length in centimetres, which contradicts the fact that wizards never went through the process of metrication.
- The latter, however, is not exactly a mistake as unit changes have been made in previously translated Harry Potter material as well.
- In the Portuguese translation, the information given by Ollivander is even more incorrect. He refers to the wand as a birch wand, which was not one of the original three options. He also gives the wand's length in centimetres, which contradicts the fact that wizards never went through the process of metrication.
- In the "Animagus Adventure" side quest, the name of the Jobberknoll is occasionally misspelled as "Jabberknoll."
- In Chapter 14, Rowan mentions that they cannot wait to see their first Yeti. However, in the Christmas side quest, Rowan was with the player when they fought the Yeti.
- In Chapter 16, Rakepick breaks the player's wand but they continue to use it in classes.
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery official website
- Official Facebook page
- Official Twitter profile
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery on Jam City Support
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery All Class Quiz Answers on yeknote.com
Notes and references
- ↑ It is with a heavy heart that I officially announce that I am no longer the Senior Narrative Designer for @hogwartsmystery. I wish the best of luck to the #hogwartsmystery team. by Matt London on Twitter
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery on Twitter
- ↑ SnitchSeeker.com
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery | Google Play
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery | iOS App Store (US)
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 News: "Experience wizarding school with new mobile game Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery" at Pottermore
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 News: "Watch the first trailer for new mobile game Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery" at Pottermore
- ↑ "Harry Potter Game Hogwarts Mystery Releases This Month" at Game Spot
- ↑ (see this image) - retrieved from Google Play
- ↑ On this quest, the player get the chance to give Bill a gift: A book about the world-famous Curse-Breaker by the name of Patricia Rakepick, foreshadowing her forthcoming appearance in the game.
- ↑ The Acromantula mentions fighting Jacob's sibling in the past, meaning the side quest must take place after their first duel.
- ↑ This task depends on the player's choice.
- ↑ Elora Dunn, a first year student in Year 5, can be seen in the background during this quest. The History of Magic classroom also appears as a location.
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery might let witches and wizards date, but not until they’re older - Polygon
- ↑ I'd recommend completing all side quests before advancing year in #HogwartsMystery . It's a great way to earn House Points and those quests are set in the year when they appear. by Matt London on Twitter
- ↑ Yes we wrote the NHNick quest to add more Year 3 story. It is set during Year 3. Once a side quest spawns we don’t despawn it. That may cause continuity breaks (eg Ben missing and in common room) but getting to play the quests is more important. by Matt London on Twitter
- ↑ Yes it’s year 3 also. You’ll see scenes that confirm it. I wrote polyjuice and NHN at the same time. by Matt London on Twitter
- ↑ Why don't I get all of the classes each year? | Jam City Support
- ↑ Why can't I use certain names? | Jam City Support
- ↑ In the Spanish version this didn't occur.
- ↑ Transcription of the old Pottermore Introductions to Hogwarts Houses
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 16 (Through the Trapdoor)
- ↑ Black family tree
- ↑ McGonagall says in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 30 (The Sacking of Severus Snape), taking place in 1998, that Filch has been working at Hogwarts for "a quarter of a century".
- ↑ #HogwartsMystery Eu fiz uma pesquisa sobre as varinhas de Bétula e não achei nada no texto do Pottermore. by @Salem_Joyce1 on Twitter
- ↑ Writing by J.K. Rowling: "Measurements" at Pottermore
|J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter series|
|Philosopher's Stone||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Chamber of Secrets||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Prisoner of Azkaban||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Goblet of Fire||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Order of the Phoenix||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Half-Blood Prince||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Deathly Hallows||book||film 1||game 1||film soundtrack 1||game soundtrack 1|
|film 2||game 2||film soundtrack 2||game soundtrack 2|
|Fantastic Beasts (film series)|
|Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them||book||screenplay||film||soundtrack||game|
|The Crimes of Grindelwald||screenplay||film||soundtrack|
|Fantastic Beasts 3||film|
|Fantastic Beasts 4||film|
|Fantastic Beasts 5||film|