- "Dare You Return to Hogwarts?"
- — Official Tagline
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is the video game adaptation of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets for the Game Boy Color. It features turn-based combat with multiple party members, equipping items, Chocolate Frog Card combinations, and mini-games. It was predated by Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone on the Game Boy Color, and its sequel is Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban for the Game Boy Advance, both of which have similar turn-based combat gameplay.
- 1 Description
- 2 Spells
- 3 Characters
- 4 Differences between the book/movie and game
- 5 Secrets
- 6 Behind the scenes
- 7 See also
- 8 Notes and references
Take on the role of Harry Potter in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, his second adventure with more friends, danger and magic. Learn new spells, go on new adventures and make new friends. Harry's world is rendered in beautiful next-generation graphics. Challenge new adversaries as you confront the powers in the heart of the Chamber of Secrets.
Take the wheel of a flying car and don't be late for a second term at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Based on J. K. Rowling's second book in the series, the game offers players a multitude of new challenges and mysteries in the role of the Boy Who Lived. The Game Boy Color platform features role-playing gameplay in a 2-D journey to Hogwarts. With Quidditch matches, magical duels, and other wizard minigames, this Game Boy Color title allows players to experience multiplayer magical encounters with the denizens of Hogwarts (with the use of the Game Link) and collect the Famous Witches and Wizards Cards.
- Flipendo (Uno Duo and Tria): A "wind" spell that Harry and friends begin the game with. Effective against flying enemies. Ron and Harry can learn Tria and Duo.
- Skurge: Effective against ghostly or spirituous opponents. Harry may optionally learn this spell when he reads Filch's Kwikspell letter.
- Expelliarmus: Effective against armed opponents.
- Incendio (Uno Duo and Tria): Shoots Bluebell Flames from the caster's wand. Learned in Herbology. Effective against plant-like enemies and spiders. Harry and Ron can learn Tria and Duo.
- Verdimillious (Uno Duo and Tria): Shoots green sparks at the opponent. Harry and friends already know this spell at the beginning of the game. Harry and Hermione can learn Tria and Duo.
- Vermillious (Uno Duo and Tria): Shoots red sparks at the opponent. Harry already knows this spell at the start of the game. Ineffective against armoured opponents.
- Informous: Adds a brief description and the opponent's weaknesses and strengths to the Folio Bruti. Arthur Weasley teaches this spell to Harry.
- Mucus Adnauseam (Uno, Duo and Tria): Weakens the opponent and damages them each turn. Harry and Ron learn it from Myrtle Warren. Both can learn Tria and Duo, respectively.
- Petrificus Totalus (Uno, Duo and Tria): Paralyses an opponent. Harry and friends can this spell from Katie Bell in a side quest. Only Ron and Hermione can learn Duo and Tria.
- Fumos (Uno and Duo): Creates smoke to make the caster harder to see, potentially easier to miss. Hermione knows this spell at the beginning of the game, and can learn Duo. Ron also learns this spell later at Hogwarts.
- Wingardium Leviosa: Makes objects fly. Only seen in the Mini-game "Flitwick's Boogaloo"
- Harry Potter
- Ron Weasley
- Hermione Granger
- Gilderoy Lockhart
- Vincent Crabbe
- Gregory Goyle
- Neville Longbottom
- Draco Malfoy
- Rubeus Hagrid
- Tom Riddle
- Myrtle Warren
- Nearly-Headless Nick
Differences between the book/movie and game
- This is by far the most faithful version to both the film and the book.
- This version, along with the PlayStation and PC versions, features Ron and Lockhart accompanying Harry into the Chamber of Secrets like in the book/movie.
- This is the only version of the video game where Ron accompanies Harry in the Forbidden Forest in its entirety. In most versions, he only shows up at the end in the Ford Anglia. In the PC version, Ron appears in the initial cutscene of the level but is forced to separate when he needs to give Harry a boost up, saying: "You'll have to brave the Forbidden Forest alone."
- In the book and the movie, Harry kills the Basilisk by stabbing the Godric Gryffindor's sword into its mouth. This is the only video game adaptation where Harry uses the sword to stab the basilisk, whereas in all other versions of the game, Harry has to use the sword to fire/reflect a beam of energy towards the basilisk.
- In the book and the movie, Harry stabs the diary with Basilisk's fang. In this version he stabs it using the Sword of Gryffindor, whereas in most other versions the diary is destroyed when the Basilisk's fangs land on it. Coincidentally, using the sword would have worked in the book, as by that time, the Sword of Gryffindor was imbued with Basilisk venom, giving it the same power to destroy the diary Horcrux.
- The term "Muggle" is consistently avoided in this game, with terms such as "Non-magical people" and "Non-magical Studies" being used instead.
- Except for the Deathly Hallows video games and the LEGO games, this game and its precursor are the only games in the main series that allow the player to walk around in the Muggle world in any capacity (Harry's Bedroom and the Muggle part of King's Cross Station).
- This and the PlayStation version are the only ones in which Harry can be seen wearing Muggle clothes.
Secrets found in the Gameboy Color version of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.
|1st Year||Rowena Ravenclaw card|
|2nd Year||Honouria Nutcomb card|
|3rd Year||Replenish Magic or Create Potion Combo|
|4th Year||Steel Mesh Gloves|
|5th Year||Dragon Skin Boots|
|6th Year||Rabbit's Foot|
|7th Year||Duelling Trophy|
The Duelling Club is available after Gilderoy Lockhart tells you about it and will stay available until your duel with Malfoy. After duelling Malfoy, it is impossible to battle the students until you finish the game. Seven students must be defeated before you can call yourself the champion. In the table next to this text you can see the rewards you earn after defeating each student.
Fake Wall in Borgin and Burkes
Borgin and Burkes is the store you get warped to after using Floo Powder in an attempt to get to Diagon Alley. As you arrive, you'll notice an unreachable room at your left. Wait for the dialogue to finish and then walk toward the wall that separates you from the room and keep going until you walk through it. Follow the path until the end. Press A in front of the left bookcase to obtain Famous Witches and Wizards Card #20, Merwyn the Malicious.
Fake Wall in Gambol and Japes
Gambol and Japes is a building located in Diagon Alley, next to the book shop, where you cannot buy anything. Yet, if you go to its back, you'll notice an unreachable room at your left. In order to reach this room, simply walk toward the wall that separates you from the room and keep going until you walk through it. This room contains two chests. The left one contains Famous Witches and Wizards Card #44, Perpetua Fancourt, and the one at right Card Combination #1, Alter Enemy.
Ghoul in Ron's House
A Ghoul lives in Ron's attic. Talk to this Ghoul and he'll give you a strange hint about chains. Go to Ron's kitchen and retrieve the Ghoul's chains by pressing A in front of the green oven. Now, return to the Ghoul, talk to him and it'll give you Famous Witches and Wizards Card #60, Cliodne.
After Mrs. Norris gets petrified, go to Filch's office (Ground floor, second room at left) and press A while next to the book on his desk and you will learn Skurge, a spell effective against ghostly opponents. Next, Filch will come in and tell you to get out of his office. Go out, back in and talk to Filch twice and you'll receive the Leather Gloves. Once equipped, your defence will raise 16 points, and your agility 8.
Magic Storybook Retrieval
This Side-Quest starts once you talk to Katie Bell, who asks you to do her a favor, which is to retrieve her Magic Storybook. It will end in you learning a new spell, Petrificus Totalus.
- Step 1
Go to the hospital and talk to Katie. She will ask you to do her a favor. Harry accepts her request, which is to retrieve Katie's Magic Storybook. According to Katie, the book was last seen in the Gryffindor common room.
- Step 2
Go to the Gryffindor common room and talk to the student in there. Harry asks him if he's seen Katie's Magic Storybook somewhere. The guy tells you about seeing Ginny with it, and Harry will thank him.
- Step 3
Next, head over to the third floor. Ginny is somewhere at the bottom of the area. Talk to her and Harry will tell her Katie is looking for the Magic Storybook she has. Ginny says she doesn't know the end of the story yet, and will only give it back if you give her a picture of yourself.
- Step 4
Go to the fifth floor and talk to Colin, who is located around the three red couches. Harry will ask Colin to take his picture. Colin excitedly does so, and after it's done, he will give it to you.
- Step 5
Go back to Ginny and give her your picture. She will tell you it's lovely and will return the Magic Storybook to you.
- Step 6
With the Magic Storybook back in your possession, return to Katie and give it to her. She will thank you for it and will teach you about Petrificus Totalus, a spell which is used to paralyse your enemies for a short period of time. With this, the side-quest has been completed.
Pet Shop's Back
The Pet Shop is a shop in Diagon Alley which is located between the Healing Shop and Gambol and Japes. Talk to the owner, a girl behind a desk which you'll see right when you enter the shop, and she'll tell you the back of her shop's filled with purple toads, and asks you to clear it. Follow the path that leads to behind her and you'll see a couple of purple toads hopping around. Press A while next to either of the five, and you'll have to battle it, in which case you'll see (if you cast Informous on it) that the purple toads are actually Bullfrogs. After defeating all 5 of them, head back to the shop owner and she will give you Famous Witches and Wizards Card #21. Morgan le Fay.
Replaying the game
Once you've defeated the Basilisk and thus completed the game, wait for the credits to finish and you'll start the game all over again, with the same level and stats you had while finishing the game and all Folio Magi, Triplicus and Bruti entries. Yet, all your items, equipment and spells will be gone.
There are two shortcuts in Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
- Press A while in front of the statue next to the Girls' restroom on the First Floor to warp to the mirror next to the Hospital Wing on the Fourth Floor. This also works the other way around.
- Press A while in front of the goblin picture in a narrow path in the Hogwarts Dungeon to warp to the Sphinx statue in the middle of the Sixth Floor. This also works the other way around.
The Gameboy Color version of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets also has a trading sequence. Within 9 steps, 40 sickles will turn into a Dragon Skin Cloak, worth an amazing 15.000 Sickles.
- Step 1
When you're in Diagon Alley, go to Quality Quidditch Supplies (top, second building from left) and walk toward the shopkeeper. Ron will tell you about how much he wants a Chudley Cannons Jersey. Talk to the shopkeeper and purchase the Chudley Cannons Jersey for 40 sickles. Ron will thank you for buying it and you'll receive a Football Card.
- Step 2
Still in Diagon Alley, go to the Trading Card Shop (top, third building from left) and talk to the guy in front of the shopkeeper. He will tell you about how he likes collecting Football Cards. Harry will give him Ron's Football Card, and the guy gratefully trades it for his Misprinted Wendolyn Card.
- Step 3
If you didn't do what was said above and have already arrived at Hogworts, then you can now find the guy to trade for the Misprinted Wendolyn Card in the card trading room club on the 5th floor. Once you have it, head to the 6th floor and walk into the room below the Writing Supplies Room. Immediately you'll notice a painting. Talk to this painting and it will tell you she likes your Misprinted Wendolyn Card (as this IS Wendolyn the Weird). Give it to her to receive a Baby Spider.
- Step 4
With the Baby Spider, go to Hagrid's Hut and talk to Hagrid. He will tell you he likes your Baby Spider, and you will give your Baby Spider in order to receive a Spiked Collar.
- Step 5
Now that you possess the Spiked Collar, head towards Filch's office (Ground Floor, second room at left) and talk to Filch. He will give you a Photo of Lockhart in exchange for your Spiked Collar.
- Step 6
A girl is wandering around at the third or fifth floor. Talk to her and she will tell you she likes Lockhart. Give her the Photo of Lockhart and she will give you a Torch.
- Step 7
With the Torch, head over to the Muggle Studies Class (Fifth floor, northwest corner) and talk to the guy in there. Knowing you're in a Muggle Studies Class and the Torch is used by Muggles, the guy will be interested in it. Give it to him to receive an Harmonica.
- Step 8
Next, head toward Music Class (Fifth floor, northeast corner) and talk to the student in there. As this is Music Class, the Harmonica will fit perfectly. The student will give you a Magic Whistle in exchange for your Harmonica.
- Step 9
Go to History of Magic Class and talk to Professor Binns, who is currently asleep. Talk to him and he'll wake up, telling you he's interested in your Magic Whistle. Because he frequently falls asleep during class, the Magic Whistle will be quite helpful for him. In exchange for your Magic Whistle, professor Binns gives you a Dragonskin Cloak. Once equipped, the Dragon Skin Cloak will give you 50 more Defence Points, 3 more Agility points and 20 more Magic Defence points. Also, the Dragon Skin Cloak is worth 15.000 Sickles. With this, the Trading Sequence has been completed.
Behind the scenes
- This is the first game in the series where you are able to control multiple characters in any capacity. During the turn-based combat sequences, the player is able to control the moves of all members of the party, predating the video game adaptation of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban's commonly advertised feature of being the first game in the series to allow the player to control all three of the trio. In addition, Lockhart can briefly join the party while disarmed (who will shrug if a spell is attempted), and whose only unique move is to sign an autograph which freezes an enemy for a turn.
- Easter Egg: The developers at Griptonite hid a secret that can be unlocked by using the initials "FUN" as the top three high scores in each regular minigame. After that is done, travel back to the observatory and look through the telescope to play an asteroids-inspired game.
- In the part where Harry, Ron and Lockhart are in the Chamber of Secrets, there is a potential glitch. When the three fight in a magical encounter and lose it, the screen resumes to Harry on the other side of the snakeskin and when you move on to the Chamber of Secrets, you still have Ron and Lockhart in the group and during the fighting of the Basilisk, Ron joins Harry and Fawkes in battling the monster and later Lockhart is said to have lost his memory without his backfiring Memory Charm having happened.
- This was the last game released on the Game Boy Color in North America.