The Head of the Muggle-Born Registration Commission was a position of power within the Ministry of Magic for a short amount of time. It was created along with the Muggle-Born Registration Commission when Lord Voldemort was indirectly in control of the Ministry during the height of the Second Wizarding War, and is the leading power within this organisation. The only head of the Muggle-Born Registration Commission was Dolores Umbridge, the founder of the commission. It was never intended to be a permanent committee; however, former members are still recognised for being part of the Commission.
HistoryOn 1 August, 1997, Lord Voldemort and his Death Eaters took over the Ministry of Magic. Minister for Magic Rufus Scrimgeour was tortured and then killed, the Imperius Cursed Pius Thicknesse was installed as a puppet in his place, and the Death Eaters began a campaign against their enemies, notably Muggle-borns. They were ordered to register with the Muggle-Born Registration Commission, which convicted them of stealing magic from "real" wizards and witches (pure-bloods) and imprisoned them in Azkaban, though the entire trial was unfair and Muggle-borns were punished whether the evidence proved them guilty or not. Some were threatened with the Dementor's Kiss, some were imprisoned, and some were stripped of their wands and jobs, and reduced to being street beggars. Those who refused to register, such as Ted Tonks, were pursued by Snatchers, sometimes fatally.
- The head of the Commission conducted the trials and directed the efforts to round up Muggle-borns, which was performed by Snatchers.
- Oversaw the creation of pamphlets and similar propaganda to alert the magical community to the dangers of Muggle-borns. One such pamphlet showed a rose with a frown on its face, representing pure-bloods and a weed choking the flower, representing the Muggle-borns. The title of this particular pamphlet was Mudbloods and the Dangers They Pose to a Peaceful Pure-Blood Society.
- Muggle-Born Registration Commission
- Dolores Umbridge
- Mudbloods and the Dangers They Pose to a Peaceful Pure-Blood Society
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (First appearance)
Notes and references
*Disclosure: Some of the links above are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, Fandom will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.