At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
- "We can only accept huntsmen whose heads have parted company with their bodies. You will appreciate that it would be impossible otherwise for members to participate in hunt activities such as Horseback Head-Juggling and Head Polo. It is with the greatest regret, therefore, that I must inform you that you do not fulfil our requirements. With very best wishes,"
- —Sir Patrick Delaney-Podmore[src]
The Headless Hunt is an organisation of decapitated ghosts that play headless games. The organisation is headed by Sir Patrick Delaney-Podmore. The organisation only accepts those whose heads have been completely severed from their bodies.
The Headless Hunt participate in head-intensive events such as Horseback Head-Juggling, Headless Bowling, and Head Polo. The Gryffindor ghost, Nearly Headless Nick is annually denied admission to the Headless Hunt despite only a half inch of skin holding his head to his neck.
The Headless Hunt attended Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington's five-hundredth Deathday Party. Sir Patrick Delaney-Podmore, the leader of the Headless Hunt managed to offend Sir Nicholas by pointing out that he was not properly decapitated, but the other guests found him quite amusing. This left Sir Nicholas humiliated and embarrassed for the remainder of his party.
The Headless Hunt also made an appearance in 1998 when they flew by Harry Potter, just as he escaped the Room of Requirement with Rowena Ravenclaw's Diadem during the Battle of Hogwarts. How they assisted is not known as ghosts have little physical influence on the solid world.
Behind the scenes
- In the PC-video game adaptation of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, a portrait of the Headless Hunt can be seen during the Skurge-challenge, as well as a crest bearing the words "Acephalus Equitatus" — "Headless Cavalry" in Latin.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (Mentioned only)