|"Are you a wizard or not?"
The title of this article is conjectural. Although it is based on canonical information, the actual name is a conjecture and may be supplanted at any time by additional information released from canonical sources. If this occurs, please move this page to the appropriate title.
Hedwig's killer was a Death Eater that fought in the Battle of the Seven Potters. This Death Eater shot out a Killing Curse that killed Harry Potter's pet owl, Hedwig. It is likely the curse that killed Hedwig was intended for Rubeus Hagrid. He or she most likely took part in the Battle of Hogwarts. It is also likely that, after Lord Voldemort's defeat in 1998, this Death Eater was either killed or imprisoned in Azkaban for their crimes as a Death Eater.
Behind the scenes
- "No! No!"
- —Harry yelling.[src]
- Hedwig's killer is not explicitly identified, so he/she may have appeared in other books, films or video games, but the only known appearance is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1.
- A popular fan theory based on book canon suggests that Snape may have killed Hedwig. This theory is based on the idea that Snape was the only death eater who knew there would be several Harry Potters in the sky so as soon as they appeared he was looking for something that distinguished the real Harry Potter before his fellows could grasp the situation in order to eliminate the threat that other death eaters would recognise him. After the Potters were all immediately surrounded by death eaters Hagrid, while manoeuvring the bike accidentally tips it upside down which is followed nearly immediately with a killing curse sent right to Hedwig. The theory suggests that Snape realized that Hedwig was moving around and clearly alive in the cage giving away the real Harry Potter since all the other six hedwigs were clearly motionless stuffed owls compared to her. By killing her he would have ensured that she seemed just like them hiding the identity of the true Harry Potter before flying off to follow a different Harry he knew wasn't the real one.
- According to the movies, Hedwig's killer might have been Selwyn, who was known to be pursuing Harry and Hagrid at the time since Hedwig's death in the movies happened quite a while into the fight when there was only a couple death eaters following them, or it might have been Stanley Shunpike under the Imperius Curse.
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Possible appearance)