Hengist was born in the Middle Ages, no earlier than 982, in Woodcroft, Gloucestershire. In his youth, Hengist attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, where he was Sorted into Hufflepuff. He may have been taught by Helga Hufflepuff herself.
Hengist is traditionally credited with the founding of the village of Hogsmeade after being driven from his home by Muggle persecutors. According to popular lore, Hengist used the Three Broomsticks Inn as a home.
Hengist died at some point during the Middle Ages. Remembered for his founding of Hogsmeade, he was immortalised in a Chocolate Frog Card Hengist of Woodcroft's Chocolate Frog Card was one of the very first collected by Harry Potter. There was also a bust of Hengist on the Fourth Floor Corridor of Hogwarts Castle.
On 1 September, 1991, Prefect Gabriel Truman welcomed the Hufflepuff first years to Hufflepuff Basement with a short speech in which he mentioned Hengist of Woodcroft as one of the many notable Hogwarts students who were sorted, like them, into Hufflepuff.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Appears as statue)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
Notes and references
- Given Hogwarts was founded in around 993 A.D. and that Hengist attended it, he must have been eleven by or after the school's founding. So, the earliest date he could have possibly been born is 982.
- Pottermore introduction for Hufflepuffs (transcription available here)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 6 (The Journey from Platform Nine and Three-Quarters)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
|Locations on the fourth floor|
|Portraits, statues and other artwork located on the fourth floor|