- "The fact that he's related to Ralph wasn't the primary reason for choosing him. It was an advantage that he looked very similar to Ralph. Of course that was useful. But primarily I went for Hero because of this wonderful haunted quality that seemed to bring Tom Riddle alive on-screen for us."
- —David Yates[src]
Hero Fiennes-Tiffin (born 6 November, 1997) is a British actor cast as the 11-year-old Tom Marvolo Riddle, the younger version of antagonist Lord Voldemort who appears in the sixth instalment of the Harry Potter films, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
Fiennes-Tiffin is the son of film directors George Tiffin and Martha Fiennes; the brother of Mercy and Titan Fiennes-Tiffin; and the nephew of actors Joseph Fiennes and Ralph Fiennes, who has played the adult Lord Voldemort since the fourth film. Fiennes-Tiffin earned the part after thousands of young actors auditioned for the role;. At least one publication, however, has alleged his family relation alone landed him the part, however director Yates has dispelled that rumour.
Fiennes-Tiffin made his first film appearance as Spartak in the 2008 drama, Bigga Than Ben.David Yates, director of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, said Fiennes-Tiffin was cast as Tom Riddle due to his ability to find "the darker space" in his line readings. Yates said he did not get the role due to his relation to Ralph Fiennes, but admitted the family resemblance was "a clincher." Yates described the actor as "very focused and disciplined" and said he "got the corners and dark moods and odd spirit of the character" and had a "wonderful haunted quality that seemed to bring Tom Riddle alive on-screen for us." Jen Bensoussan, who runs the Daniel Radcliffe fansite DanRadcliffe.com, described Fiennes-Tiffin's appearance in a Half-Blood Prince trailer, perfect evil, eerie child version of Voldemort. Think 'Omen.'
- Private Peaceful (2012): Charlie Peaceful (aged 14)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009): Tom Riddle (aged 11)
- Bigga Than Ben (2008): Spartak
- After (2019): Hardin Scott
- Fansite about Hero Fiennes-Tiffin (english & french version)
- Hero Fiennes-Tiffin at Wikipedia
- Hero Fiennes-Tiffin at the Internet Movie Database
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 thePeerage.com
- ↑ Casting Is Complete on 'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince'. Distributed by PR Newswire on behalf of Warner Bros. Pictures, November 16, 2007. Retrieved 2008-August 19|08-19.
- ↑ Bryne, Paul. "Interview: Ralph Fiennes." Movies.ie,, 9 February, 2008. Retrieved on 2008-09-03.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Puig, Claudia. 'Potter' trailer unveils a young Voldemort. USA Today, Life section, July 30, 2008. Retrieved 2008-08-19.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Alberge, Dalya. "Voldemort's nephew has the villainous blood for film role." The Times, Wikipedia:November 17, 2007. Retrieved on 2008-08-19.
- ↑ Jennifer Lopez Elected 'Governess.' New York, July 29, 2008. Retrieved on 2008-08-21.
- ↑ "Hero Fiennes-Tiffin". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 2008-August 19|08-19.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Jensen, Jeff. There Will Be 'Half-Blood.' Entertainment Weekly, Iss. #1007/1008, August 22/29, 2008. pg. 39. Retrieved on 2008-08-19.
- ↑ Vineyard, Jennifer. Harry Potter Fans Call 'Half-Blood Prince' Trailer 'Bold,' 'Intense' And 'Eerie.' MTV News, Wikipedia:July 30, 2008. Retrieved on 2008-08-21.