At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Wizards Unite. As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
For gameplay-specific information, please see the relevant article on the Harry Potter: Wizards Unite Wiki!
Hestia Jones was a British witch and member of the Order of the Phoenix during the Second Wizarding War. She was part of the Advance Guard in 1995 and later escorted the Dursleys from their home to a safe location, along with Dedalus Diggle.
Hestia Jones was born somewhere in the British Isles no later than the year of 1978, into a wizarding family of unknown degree. She presumably purchased a wand from Ollivander's Wand Shop at the age of eleven and attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry during her formative years like most magical children in the wizarding community. Since she did not appear in the photography or is otherwise indicated of having been a member of the original Order, she might have been too young at the time, and possibly attended school during or after the First Wizarding War.
Second Wizarding War (1995-1998)
She was among the members of the Advance Guard, a group of members of the Order who had volunteered to escort Harry Potter safely from the house of his aunt and uncle at 4 Privet Drive in Surrey to their headquarters at 12 Grimmauld Place in London. Whilst examining the Dursley's kitchen, she came across a potato peeler in a drawer and found it was immensely funny. A few days later, Hestia borrowed Alastor Moody's invisibility cloak after relieving Kingsley Shacklebolt of guard duty and stood watch over the entrance of the Department of Mysteries in order to prevent Death Eaters from entering the area to steal a prophecy Lord Voldemort wished to get a hold of.
In 1997, she escorted the Dursleys from their home to a safe location. Hestia was surprised when she saw that the Dursleys did not care about Harry at all and also got very angry when they said that they did not know where Harry was about to go. It can be assumed she played a role in ensuring the continued safety at the safe house for them.
When The Calamity broke out in the late 2010s, Hestia Jones, along with former members of the Order, played a part in helping members of the Statute of Secrecy Task Force to prepare for the challenges they would be facing in containing the situation. In addition to holding a workshop that members of the aforementioned task force attended, to whom she demonstrated a 'rigorous methodology' for how to cast hexes and charms with 'perfect form.' She was also at some point invited by Harry Potter to the Auror Office to hold a special lesson for those members of the S.O.S. pursuing a future career as an Auror where she taught them how to maintain one's Shield Charm against an onslaught, such as a barrage of successive spells or one, big, immensely destructive one.
Hestia was described as a young, black-haired woman with pink cheeks.
Personality and traits
Hestia was a good, kind person who liked Harry Potter and was shocked when she learned that his uncle, aunt, and cousin did not know where he was going in 1997. She was also quite a tactful person, suggesting that Dedalus and herself should wait outside whilst Harry and the Dursleys said goodbye to each other. This shows that she did no know much about Harry's relationship with the Dursleys as well as the fact that she was quite a caring person. She also appeared to be rather intelligent, cleverly seeing past the Ministry of Magic's denial of the Dark Lord's return, as well as very brave in the face of adversity, siding with Albus Dumbledore and the rest of those who had rallied to his side to oppose Lord Voldemort at a great personal risk, and despite the very real possibility that the Ministry of Magic would go out of its way to tarnish her reputation if her allegiance to Dumbledore became known outside of the Order. She was also one of the few who was unafraid to call Voldemort by his true name. In her work for the Order of the Phoenix, Hestia proved herself to be no less brave, dependable and selfless than anyone else in the Order, displaying great bravery and resilience through her participation in the war effort and an admirable selfless willingness to put her own life on the line for the sake of following through with the Order's resistance movements against the Dark Forces.
Magical abilities and skills
A member of the reconstituted Order of the Phoenix, Hestia was an accomplished witch, with sufficient ability to fulfil her duties satisfactorily and do solid work for the Order.
- Duelling: Hestia was an accomplished duellist, being one of the members of the Order on rotation that were entrusted the task of guarding the entrance of the Department of Mysteries, in which capacity she was expected to prevent Death Eaters from breaking in to steal the prophecy, which would have required her to engage them in a duel if they had done so on her watch. She was also one of the volunteers that joined the participate in the escort of Harry Potter on broomsticks, hinting her ability to handle herself in combat to be good enough to do so even during mid-flight, which is noted to be no small feat. Excelling in both defensive and offensive combative magic, in a duel, Hestia would employ a rigorous methodology to her spell-casting, increasing the amount of damage she could inflict against her adversaries in combat. On the flip side, she was also rather good at defensive spell work, as she was also able to maintain a Shield Charm, even under an onslaught. These were skills that she would eventually pass on to those of the members of the then recently established Statute of Secrecy Task Force who pursued a career as an Auror.
- Charms: Hestia was competent and experienced with the casting of protective charms, as she was able to successfully teach trainee Aurors how to perform numerous defensive charms, most notably the Shield Charm. In addition, Hestia was capable of casting a non-corporeal Patronus Charm, a mark of superior magical ability and talent given the immense difficulty of casting such a powerful protective charm.
- Flying: Hestia was an accomplished broomstick flyer; she was a member of the Advance Guard who escorted Harry Potter to 12 Grimmauld Place via broomstick flight. Also as seen during the instance where she escorted Harry alongside her allies, Hestia was a sufficiently skilled flyer to have confidence in her ability to handle potential attacks while flying, which even fellow Order member Nymphadora Tonks, who was a trained Auror, remarked to be very difficult.
Hestia seems to like Harry Potter when she first met him in 1995. She was a member of the Advance Guard, a group of members of the Order of the Phoenix which safely escorted Harry from 4 Privet Drive to 12 Grimmauld Place. She met Harry again in 1997, when she and Dedalus Diggle helped the Dursleys hide from Death Eaters. She was surprised and very angry when she saw that the Dursleys weren't proud of Harry, and that they even did not care about where he would go when he left their home.
Hestia did not have a good start to her relationship with the Dursleys, and she rather disliked them for their ignorance and selfishness. She was surprised and very angry, when she saw that they did not love Harry at all and that they did not care about where he would go after he would leave their house. However, the relationship between Hestia and the Dursleys may have improved as they were hidden from Death Eaters together, but this is highly unlikely because the Dursleys were Muggles who despised and feared magic and Wizardkind. The Dursleys only maintained a stable relationship with Harry at the very end and it was Dudley who became kinder, expressing his thanks to Harry for saving his life.
Order of the Phoenix members
Hestia had a good relationship with the most of the Order of the Phoenix members, including Remus Lupin, Alastor Moody, Nymphadora Tonks, Kingsley Shacklebolt, Elphias Doge, Dedalus Diggle, Emmeline Vance, and Sturgis Podmore, as they were all members of the Advance Guard in 1995. Most of them were killed in battles an it is unknown how Hestia reacted when she learned about their deaths. She may also have been a friend of Albus Dumbledore and she possibly attended his funeral.
Hestia is named after the Greek goddess Hestia, who is the goddess of the hearth and of the right ordering of domesticity and the family. The link between Hestia Jones and the Greek goddess Hestia is cleverly underlined by Rowling in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, as during Harry's introduction to Hestia, she waves from next to the toaster.
Behind the scenes
- She might possibly be related to Megan Jones, Peter Jones and Gwenog Jones, although Jones is a common English surname.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Cut from final edit)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- She was a member of the Order of the Phoenix in 1995, and members were required to be "of age," seventeen or older, meaning that she could not have been born any later than 1978.
- Hestia laughed at a Muggle potato peeler. She probably would not have done so if she were a muggle-born.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 3 (The Advance Guard) - "and Hestia Jones." A pink-cheeked, black-haired witch waved from next to the toaster."
- Harry notices that she blushes - she is "pink cheeked"; on someone of a darker skin tone it would not be noticeable.
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 3 (The Advance Guard)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 3 (The Dursleys Departing)
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite: (See here)
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 5 (Fallen Warrior)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Second Draft