At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald. As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
- "Originating in Greece, the Hippocampus has the head and forequarters of a horse and the tail and hindquarters of a giant fish. Though the species is usually to be found in the Mediterranean, a superb blue roan specimen was caught by merpeople off the shores of Scotland in 1949 and subsequently domesticated by them. The Hippocampus lays large, semi-transparent eggs through which the Tadfoal may be seen."
- —Newt Scamander, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them[src]
Although it is generally found in the Mediterranean, a blue roan specimen was caught by Merpeople off the coast of Scotland in 1949 and domesticated. The Hippocampus lays large, semi-transparent eggs through which the young hippocampus, known as a Tadfoal, can be seen.
- Hippocampus is derived from the words "hippos" means "horse" and "kampos" means "sea monster".
- The Hippocamp or Hippocampus, like many creatures in the Harry Potter series, is derived from Greek mythology. A Hippocampus-like creature can be seen in the painting "The Chariot of Poseidon".
- Hippocampus also refers to a major component of the brains of humans and other mammals. It is what enables the conscious short term memory, and was famously removed from Henry Molaison, when a doctor suspected that removing it would cure his epilepsy.
Behind the scenes
- A Hippocampus model was constructed for the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, where it was meant to be painted as an ice sculpture and used for decoration in the Yule Ball scene. However, the resulting model ended up being too large for that purpose, and thus the concept was dropped.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film) (Cut from final film)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film) (Cut from the film)
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - The Original Screenplay (Mentioned only)
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
|Magical Creatures by classification|
|X||Flobberworm · Horklump|
|XX||Augurey · Bowtruckle · Chizpurfle · Clabbert · Diricawl · Fairy · Ghoul · Gnome · Grindylow · Imp · Jobberknoll · Mooncalf · Porlock · Puffskein · Ramora · Winged horse|
|XXX||Ashwinder · Billywig · Bundimun · Crup · Doxy · Dugbog · Fire crab · Fwooper · Glumbumble · Hippocampus · Hippogriff · Hodag · Jarvey · Knarl · Kneazle · Leprechaun · Lobalug · Mackled Malaclaw · Moke · Murtlap · Niffler · Nogtail · Pixie · Plimpy · Pogrebin · Red Cap · Salamander · Sea serpent · Shrake · Streeler · Winged horse|
|XXXX||Centaur · Demiguise · Erkling · Erumpent · Golden Snidget · Graphorn · Griffin · Hidebehind · Kappa · Kelpie · Merpeople · Occamy · Phoenix · Re'em · Runespoor · Snallygaster · Sphinx · Tebo · Thestral · Thunderbird · Troll · Unicorn · Winged horse · Yeti|
|XXXXX||Acromantula · Basilisk · Chimaera · Dragon · Horned Serpent · Lethifold · Manticore · Nundu · Quintaped · Wampus cat · Werewolf|