|"Are you a wizard or not?"
The title of this article is conjectural. Although it is based on canonical information, the actual name is a conjecture and may be supplanted at any time by additional information released from canonical sources. If this occurs, please move this page to the appropriate title.
- "Trotting towards them were a dozen of the most bizarre creatures Harry had ever seen. They had the bodies, hind legs and tails of horses, but the front legs, wings and heads of what seemed to be giant eagles, with cruel, steel-coloured beaks and large, brilliantly orange eyes. The talons on their front legs were half a foot long and deadly-looking. Each of the beasts had a thick leather collar around its neck, which was attached to a long chain, and the ends of all of them were held in the vast hands of Hagrid, who came jogging into the paddock after the creatures."
The Hogwarts Hippogriff herd is a herd of twelve Hippogriffs owned by Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The only named member of the herd was Buckbeak. It is unknown whether they live in Hogwarts permanently, or if they live elsewhere.
In 1993, the herd was used by Professor Rubeus Hagrid to teach his Gryffindor and Slytherin Third years about Hippogriffs, in his first Care of Magical Creatures class that year. They were kept in a large paddock during the lesson.
Known members of the herd
- Hippogriff with bronze coat
- Hippogriff with pinkish roan coat
- Hippogriff with gleaming chestnut coat
- Hippogriff with inky black coat
- Seven others
- Stormswift (possibly)
- Fleetwing (possibly)
- Hothoof (possibly)
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 6 (Talons and Tea Leaves)