At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Hogwarts Legacy. Spoilers will be present within the article.
|"Wait, I do sense something!"
This page contains, or revolves around, a confirmed future release. As the release date of the product approaches and more information becomes available, the content of the page may change dramatically.
- "Live the unwritten"
- — Tagline of the game
Hogwarts Legacy is an upcoming open-world action role-playing game set in the 1800s in the wizarding world. Developed by Avalanche Software and published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment under the Portkey Games label, the game will be released on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, and PC in 2022.
- "Experience Hogwarts in the 1800s. Your character is a student who holds the key to an ancient secret that threatens to tear the wizarding world apart. You have received a late acceptance to the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and soon discover that you are no ordinary student: you possess an unusual ability to perceive and master Ancient Magic. Only you can decide if you will protect this secret for the good of all, or yield to the temptation of more sinister magic.
Discover the feeling of living at Hogwarts as you make allies, battle Dark wizards, and ultimately decide the fate of the wizarding world. Your legacy is what you make of it."
- — Hogwarts Legacy website
Players will create a character who will attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in the 1800s. They will experience the life of a student as they live the unwritten and embark on a dangerous journey to uncover a hidden truth of the wizarding world.
The game was originally leaked on Reddit in October 2018 alongside an unofficial trailer which showed an extensive character creation, spell-casting, magical creatures, and exploration. No official comment was given by either Warner Bros nor J. K. Rowling, although many reputable sources inside WB Avalanche, including high ranking employees, teased or claimed to know of the game.
The game was announced via a video game showcase stream by Sony on 16 September, 2020. It was set to be available to players in 2021, but the date was later delayed to 2022 to continue developing the game for a better experience for players.
- Character creation
- Diagon Alley
- Hogwarts Castle
- Hogwarts Grounds
- Unidentified Potion-making spell
Behind the scenes
- On 17 September, 2020, Warner Bros. announced that Hogwarts Legacy is not a new story from J.K. Rowling, and she is not directly involved in the creation of the game. These statements make the canonicity of this game for the Harry Potter universe questionable.
- Since the game will be set before the birth of many characters seen in other Wizarding World projects, the characters will be likely be new. However, they could be ancestors of characters in known wizarding families. Exceptions would be characters who were living in the 19th century. They could include:
- Interestingly, and perhaps mistakenly, promotional images appear to have show the Hogwarts Whomping Willow and the Forbidden Forest Acromantula colony. They would be anachronisms, since they were founded long after the 1800s. The colony was founded by Aragog and Mosag in Rubeus Hagrid's third year at Hogwarts in 1943. Then, the Whomping Willow was planted when Remus Lupin started at Hogwarts in 1971.
- Official Discord server
- Official Facebook page
- Official Instagram page
- Official Twitter account
- Official YouTube channel
Notes and references
- Hogwarts Legacy's Twitter account
- Warner Bros. website
- Emre Kaya's Tweet
- Jason Schreier's Tweet
- Troy Leavitt's Tweet
- James Sigfield's Tweet
- J.K. Rowling ‘not directly involved’ in creation of Hogwarts Legacy game, Warner Bros. says
|J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter series|
|Philosopher's Stone||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Chamber of Secrets||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Prisoner of Azkaban||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Goblet of Fire||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Order of the Phoenix||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Half-Blood Prince||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Deathly Hallows||book||film 1||game 1||film soundtrack 1||game soundtrack 1|
|film 2||game 2||film soundtrack 2||game soundtrack 2|
|Fantastic Beasts (film series)|
|Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them||book||screenplay||film||soundtrack||game|
|The Crimes of Grindelwald||screenplay||film||soundtrack|
|Fantastic Beasts 3||film|
|Fantastic Beasts 4||film|
|Fantastic Beasts 5||film|