At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Hogwarts Legacy. Spoilers will be present within the article.
|"Wait, I do sense something!"
This page contains, or revolves around, a confirmed future release. As the release date of the product approaches and more information becomes available, the content of the page may change dramatically.
- "Live the unwritten"
- — Tagline of the game
Hogwarts Legacy is an upcoming open-world action role-playing game set in the 1800s in the wizarding world. Developed by Avalanche Software and published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment under the Portkey Games label, the game will be released on PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, Nintendo Switch, and PC within the fourth quarter of 2022.
- "Experience Hogwarts in the 1800s. Your character is a student who holds the key to an ancient secret that threatens to tear the wizarding world apart. You have received a late acceptance to the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and soon discover that you are no ordinary student: you possess an unusual ability to perceive and master Ancient Magic. Only you can decide if you will protect this secret for the good of all, or yield to the temptation of more sinister magic.
Discover the feeling of living at Hogwarts as you make allies, battle Dark wizards, and ultimately decide the fate of the wizarding world. Your legacy is what you make of it."
- — Hogwarts Legacy website
Players will create a character who will attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry as a fifth-year student in the 1890s. They will experience the life of a student as they live the unwritten and embark on a dangerous journey to uncover a hidden truth of the wizarding world.
The game was originally leaked on Reddit in October 2018 alongside an now-deleted unofficial trailer that showed an extensive character creation, spell-casting, magical creatures, and exploration. No official comment was given by either Warner Bros nor J. K. Rowling, although many reputable sources inside WB Avalanche, including high ranking employees, teased or claimed to know of the game.
The game was announced via a video game showcase stream by Sony on 16 September 2020. It was set to be available to players in 2021, but the date was later delayed to 2022 to continue developing the game for a better experience for players.
On 17 March 2022, PlayStation revealed a State of Play presentation that featured 20 minutes of gameplay and behind the scenes content. Community manager Chandler Wood revealed that the game will not have any microtransactions.
- Character creation
- Eleazar Fig
- Unidentified 19th-century Potions professor
- Unidentified 19th-century Herbology professor
- Unidentified 19th-century Charms professor
- Unidentified 19th-century Defence Against the Dark Arts professor
- Cuthbert Binns
- Diagon Alley
- Hogwarts Castle
- The Great Hall
- Hogwarts Library
- A Potions Classroom
- A Charms Classroom
- A Defence Against the Dark Arts Classroom
- The Fat Lady's Corridor
- The Gryffindor Common Room
- The Slytherin Common Room
- The Hufflepuff Common Room
- The Ravenclaw Common Room
- The Hogwarts kitchens
- The Prefects' Bathroom
- The Room of Requirement
- A Courtyard
- Hogwarts grounds
- Petrificus Totalus
- Unidentified potion-making spell
- Avada Kedavra
Behind the scenes
- On 16 September, 2020, a trailer for Hogwarts Legacy was released.
- On 17 September, 2020, Warner Bros. announced that Hogwarts Legacy is not a new story from J. K. Rowling, and she is not directly involved in the creation of the game.
- Since the game will be set before the birth of many characters seen in other Wizarding World projects, the characters will likely be new. However, they could be ancestors of characters in known wizarding families. Exceptions would be characters who were living or otherwise present in the 19th century. They could include:
- Interestingly, and perhaps mistakenly, promotional images appear to have shown the Hogwarts Whomping Willow and the Forbidden Forest Acromantula colony. They would be anachronisms, since they were founded long after the 1800s. The colony was founded by Aragog and Mosag in Rubeus Hagrid's third year at Hogwarts in 1943. Then, the Whomping Willow was planted when Remus Lupin started at Hogwarts in 1971.
- A companion book The Art and Making of Hogwarts Legacy will be published in September.
- Extended footage of the game was released on 17 March 2022.
- Official Discord server
- Official Facebook page
- Official Instagram page
- Official Twitter account
- Official YouTube channel
Notes and references
- Hogwarts Legacy's Twitter account
- Warner Bros. website
- 'Hogwarts Legacy' will hit Xbox, PlayStation, Switch and PC this holiday season
- Emre Kaya's Tweet
- Jason Schreier's Tweet
- Troy Leavitt's Tweet
- James Sigfield's Tweet
- Hogwarts Legacy – Writing for the Wizarding World in the 1800s
- [https://blog.playstation.com/2022/03/14/live-the-unwritten-in-thursdays-hogwarts-legacy-state-of-play/ Live the Unwritten in Thursday’s Hogwarts Legacy State of Play
- [https://blog.playstation.com/2022/03/14/live-the-unwritten-in-thursdays-hogwarts-legacy-state-of-play/ Hogwarts Legacy: Your first look at extended gameplay
- J.K. Rowling ‘not directly involved’ in creation of Hogwarts Legacy game, Warner Bros. says
- The Art and Making of Hogwarts Legacy
|J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter series|
|Philosopher's Stone||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Chamber of Secrets||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Prisoner of Azkaban||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Goblet of Fire||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Order of the Phoenix||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Half-Blood Prince||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Deathly Hallows||book||film 1||game 1||film soundtrack 1||game soundtrack 1|
|film 2||game 2||film soundtrack 2||game soundtrack 2|
|Fantastic Beasts film series|
|Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them||book||screenplay||film||soundtrack||game|
|The Crimes of Grindelwald||screenplay||film||soundtrack|
|The Secrets of Dumbledore||screenplay||film||soundtrack|
|Fantastic Beasts 4||film|
|Fantastic Beasts 5||film|