At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
The Hogwarts Librarian was an individual employed at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to monitor the library and watch over and protect books. While the librarian did not appear to have an office to work in like the members of the teaching staff, there was a desk reserved for them within the library itself. As a member of the faculty, however, they did possess some disciplinary powers, such as the power to award and dock house points and putting students in detention.
The Hogwarts librarian has many duties, including:
- Establishing library rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Preparing the library due date sheets and maintaining overdue records.
- Prepare and manage the library budgets, circulation files, statistics and inventories.
- Classify, and catalogue library books in order to properly making them ready for checkout.
- Monitoring the Library, as well as keeping it organised, clean and neat.
- Assisting students and staff members in finding the desired reading material.
- Implementing and enforcing library rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Placing spells on the books aimed at protecting them from mistreatment or theft.
- Checking the authenticity of the written permissions slips for the Restricted Section.
- Making sure all students have left the library by 8:00 pm, at which time the library closes.
- Overseeing the Study Hall and helping students with academic research and/or homework.
- Undertaking any other reasonable duty at the request of the Headmaster/Headmistress of Hogwarts.
Known Hogwarts librarians
Behind the scenes
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (GBC and GBA versions only)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (GBC and PS2 versions only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (Appears in alternate reality)
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (play) (Appears in alternate reality)
- Quidditch Through the Ages
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
Notes and references
- Quidditch Through the Ages - Cover page: "Irma Pince, Hogwarts Librarian"
- In 1986, Madam Pince gave Jacob's sibling twenty house points for helping to keep the memories of James and Lily Potter alive by reminding his peers of the atrocities against them by Lord Voldemort.
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6 (Chapter 32)