- "Explore the Hogwarts Library, an essential collection for any wizard or Muggle home."
- — Description of the collection[src]
The Hogwarts Library is a companion book collection first introduced to the world in March 2001, originally only consist of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and Quidditch Through the Ages, with J. K. Rowling authored under the pseudonyms Newt Scamander and Kennilworthy Whisp respectively, meaning to be copies of the in-universe books.
- Further information: Editions of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Editions of Quidditch Through the Ages, and Editions of The Tales of Beedle the Bard
Unlike the Harry Potter novel series, the Hogwarts Library collection did not receive as many unique cover art for its translation around the world, with most countries opting to use the original covers of English editions.
The cover of the original edition of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them was designed to look like Harry Potter's copy of the book, with a sticker featuring his signature, and claw gashes over the cover material. The cover of the original edition of Quidditch Through the Ages was designed to look like a Hogwarts Librarybook, complete with seal. Both are illustrated by Richard Horne.
In 2009, both books received redesigned covers, with Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them having a painting of Hogwarts' coat of arms with the animals escaping the frame, and Quidditch Through the Ages having a Golden Snitch in a blue background.
The UK cover depicts a tree stump (from the story Babbitty Rabbitty and her Cackling Stump) and a skull (The Tale of the Three Brothers). The US cover has objects from each story: a tree stump, a hopping pot, a fountain (with the three witches and the knight climbing the hill toward it), a heart and three hands holding the Deathly Hallows. Most international covers follow the UK cover - though the Spanish cover has Death, the hopping pot, the fountain, the heart, and Babbitty Rabbitty biting her wand alongside the stump, while the Japanese one just illustrates Babbitty Rabbitty.
The 2012 repackaging, for the first time, brings all three companion book in a cohesive design. Both Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and Quidditch Through the Ages used the same illustrations as their respective 2009 redesigns, though having different background colours. The Tales of Beedle the Bard specifically used the original UK tree stump illustration. This set is published in hardback and sold in both in the UK and US.
Pottermore original digital edition
Unlike how the Pottermore original digital edition for the Harry Potter book series that received a grand announcement for its release, the site's original digital edition for two-thirds of the Hogwarts Library were simply made available on 9 May, 2016, after the site has gone through its new phase of development for some time.
On 26 September, 2016, news about the Pottermore digital edition of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, the remaining book of the collection, were made public while announcing Olly Moss to be the cover artist. Curiously, although Moss was noted for also working on the Harry Potter eBooks, his involvement with Quidditch Through the Ages and The Tales of Beedle the Bard eBooks were not addressed in the post. The edition was released on 14 March, 2017 with new material. A three-in-one eBook for the collection was published on 1 September, 2017.
Covers designed by Moss are since then universally used for eBooks sold on Pottermore in various languages, with some countries rereleasing their physical copies using the art as well.
2017 editions with new material
On 5 January, 2017, Pottermore confirmed new material to be added in the updated edition of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, along with revealing respective cover arts for the digital, US, and UK editions.
- UK edition
Published by Bloomsbury Publishing, this set has front and back cover art by Jonny Duddle, with new interior illustrations by Tomislav Tomić. This edition is available in both hardback and paperback, though prior to 9 January, 2020, the box set had been only available in hardback.
- US edition
Published by Scholastic, this set has front and back cover art by Headcase Design. Unlike the UK set published in the same year, while also having new written material, the US edition did not receive an update with new interior illustrations.
- 2020 Folio Junior redesigns
The German editions of Quidditch Through the Ages and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them were first published in hardback in 2001 and used the original covers by Richard Horne. By the time The Tales of Beedle the Bard was to come out in 2008, Sabine Wilharm, the cover artist of the original German translated editions, was brought in to create a brand-new cover for the hardback, which has a wizard, the hopping pot, Babbitty Rabbity holding her wand and a skull. The cover was later also used for its paperback edition published in 2009.
Wilharm created new covers for the paperback editions of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and Quidditch Through the Ages published on 17 March, 2010, making the German Hogwarts Library having a set of cohesive covers for the first time.
On 24 March, 2017, the mismatched hardbacks were replaced by a new edition using Olly Moss' cover for the Pottermore original digital edition. A box set for this edition was released on 28 September, 2018. Till this date, Wilharm's version remains the sole German edition of Hogwarts Library to have a unique set of covers.
Unlike the Illustrated Editions of the Harry Potter series that have Jim Kay and MinaLima Design working separately on two versions, aiming to cover two complete sets, the Illustrated Editions of each Hogwarts Library book were done by different artists, with The Tales of Beedle the Bard: Illustrated Edition even having further distinction between the British and American publication, as the publishers commissioned different artists.
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: Illustrated Edition was illustrated by Olivia Lomenech Gill, and its covers were revealed on 9 July, 2017.
- UK edition
- Deluxe Illustrated Edition
- US edition
Notes and references
- The Hogwarts Library - Harry Potter book sets | Harry Potter books and resources - Bloomsbury
- OTHER PEOPLE'S BOOKS | H A R R Y P O T T E R | el horno design & illustration - Richard Horne's official website
- Quidditch Through the Ages – Pottermore
- The Tales of Beedle the Bard – Pottermore
- News: "First look: Olly Moss redesigns Fantastic Beasts cover for Pottermore" at Pottermore (Archived)
- "Updated edition of Fantastic Beasts library book will include new magical creatures" at Pottermore
- The Hogwarts Library Collection – Pottermore
- The Hogwarts Library Box Set ISBN 9781526620309 - Bloomsbury Publishing's official Harry Potter site
- The Hogwarts Library Box Set ISBN 9781408883112 - Bloomsbury Publishing's official Harry Potter site
- "SCHOLASTIC TO PUBLISH UPDATED EDITION OF J.K. ROWLING’S FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM BY NEWT SCAMANDER" - Scholastic News Room
- La bibliothèque de Poudlard - Gallimard Jeunesse's official website
- "Bruno Liance: illustrateur de la dernière édition de la bibliothèque de Poudlard en dédicace à la Nuit des livre" - La Plume de Poudlard (in French)
- "Nouveau coffret Bibliothèque de Poudlard par Bruno Liance" ("New Hogwarts Library box by Bruno Liance") - La Gazette du Sorcier (in French)
- (see this image)
- Die Märchen von Beedle dem Barden (Harry Potter) | Harry Potter
- Phantastische Tierwesen und wo sie zu finden sind - Joanne K. Rowling - Taschenbuch | CARLSEN Verlag (Archived)
- Quidditch im Wandel der Zeiten | Harry Potter
- Hogwarts-Schulbücher: Die Hogwarts-Schulbücher im Schuber | Harry Potter
- News: "Exclusive first look at new illustrated edition of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" at Pottermore
- News: "New covers and artwork for Beedle the Bard Illustrated Editions revealed" at Pottermore (Archived)
- News: "Bloomsbury and Scholastic reveal covers for new illustrated edition of Quidditch Through the Ages" at Wizarding World
|J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter series|
|Philosopher's Stone||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Chamber of Secrets||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Prisoner of Azkaban||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Goblet of Fire||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Order of the Phoenix||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Half-Blood Prince||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Deathly Hallows||book||film 1||game 1||film soundtrack 1||game soundtrack 1|
|film 2||game 2||film soundtrack 2||game soundtrack 2|
|Fantastic Beasts (film series)|
|Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them||book||screenplay||film||soundtrack||game|
|The Crimes of Grindelwald||screenplay||film||soundtrack|
|Fantastic Beasts 3||film|
|Fantastic Beasts 4||film|
|Fantastic Beasts 5||film|