|"There are plenty of eye-witness accounts. Just because you're so narrow-minded you need to have everything shoved under your nose before you–"
This article contains a list of appearances, but currently has few or no notes and references. Please help the Harry Potter Wiki by adding notes and/or references to bring this article to a higher standard of quality.
- "— and then, if you’ll believe it, I pounced — slammed him to the floor — thus with one hand, I managed to hold him down — with my other, I put my wand to his throat — I then screwed up my remaining strength and performed the immensely complex Homorphus Charm- he let out a piteous moan — the fur vanished — the fangs shrank — and he turned back into a man. Simple, yet effective — and another village will remember me forever as the hero who delivered them from the monthly terror of werewolf attacks."
- —Lockhart's supposed use of this spell[src]
He described the spell as being "immensely complex" and performed by placing the tip of one's wand to the throat of whoever the caster wanted to return to human form from their monthly transformation. He later admitted to having stolen the credit from an Armenian warlock.
Since Lockhart is known for providing phoney spells, that all of his books are known to contain a wealth of invented details, and given that there is no known cure for Lycanthropy, it is possible that this spell does not truly exist or that it has a different effect than Lockhart described (possibly just temporarily forcing a transformed person back into human shape, rather than preventing the change).
Homorphus is a combination of the Latin Homo meaning 'man' and the Greek morphe- meaning 'shape' or 'form'.
Behind the scenes
- Although this spell is described as a charm, its effects seem closer to Transfiguration. Alternatively, since the wounds left by a werewolf bite are "cursed" by werewolf Remus Lupin, and by extension the condition of Lycanthropy could be seen as a type of blood borne curse. As such, the Homorphus Charm might be a counter-curse, which can reverse the transformation.
- Considering the fact that there is no cure for lycanthropy, it is likely that this spell was a highly advanced piece of magic which returned the werewolf to its human state, only for him/her to turn into a werewolf by next full moon.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First mentioned)