|"Are you a wizard or not?"
The title of this article is conjectural. Although it is based on canonical information, the actual name is a conjecture and may be supplanted at any time by additional information released from canonical sources. If this occurs, please move this page to the appropriate title.
This dark spell (incantation unknown) was used to prepare a receptacle for the placing of a fragmented piece of soul within it, thereby allowing the target to become a Horcrux, tethering the caster to the mortal world, preventing death.
- "There is a spell, I do not know!"
- —Horace Slughorn[src]
The first known use of this spell was in Ancient Greece by Herpo the Foul, an infamous Dark Wizard who used it after committing murder in order to create the first known Horcrux. Since Herpo was the first creator, it was likely he invented the spell.
Behind the scenes
- Little, if anything, was known of this spell; it was possible, however, that it would be explained either in the Harry Potter Encyclopedia, or (since the former seems to had been cancelled), on Pottermore.
- The likelihood of the incantation to this spell being revealed was very low, as Rowling said that she could not "possibly tell [us]. Some things were better left unsaid." in an interview, on 30 July 2007.
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 PotterCast (see this transcription)
- ↑ Herpo the Foul was the first known wizard to create a Horcrux. If he did indeed invent this method, then he must had invented this spell as well. In addition, it was known that Herpo had made curses before.
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 23 (Horcruxes)