Known Horned Serpents
|Name||Period Attending Ilvermorny||Notes|
|Seraphina Picquery||Unknown||President of MACUSA.|
Behind the scenes
- Horned Serpent is a creature that appears in the folklore of many indigenous peoples of North America. They are typically described as dragon-like serpents with horns and long teeth. They are often associated with or said to control the weather, particularly rain, lightning, and thunder. Magical abilities ascribed to them include shape-shifting, invisibility, and hypnotic powers.
- The house crest is in the shape of a Gordian Knot, alluding to Rionach Sayre's brooch that was saved from a fire by her daughter Isolt.
- Horned Serpent could be considered the American counterpart to Ravenclaw House at Hogwarts, as both of them are favoured by and known to produce highly intelligent witches and wizards. This is further enhanced by the fact that Isolt felt she would have been a Ravenclaw had she been able to attend Hogwarts. However, J. K. Rowling has said that the Houses are not equivalents of each other.
- Wizarding World
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2017 edition) (Mentioned only)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film) (Mentioned in a newspaper)
Notes and references
- "Ilvermorny’s four houses unveiled thanks to secret code found on Pottermore" from Hypable
- Writing by J.K. Rowling: "Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry" at Wizarding World
- Pottermore - All About Horned Serpent
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film) (see this image)
- Horned Serpent on Wikipedia
- "Native American Horned Serpents of Myth and Legend" from Native-Languages.org
*Disclosure: Some of the links above are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, Fandom will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.