Hugo Granger-Weasley (probably born between September 2007 and August 2008) was a half-blood wizard and the second child of Ronald Weasley and Hermione Granger. He had an older sister named Rose.
Hugo Granger-Weasley was born around 2008 to a pure-blood father and a Muggle-born mother, making him half-blood. He is about two years younger than his sister Rose, and around the same age as his cousin Lily Potter, daughter of Harry and Ginny Potter, and the two seem to be quite close.
He, along with the rest of his family, attended the 2014 Quidditch World Cup and sat in VIP Box Two. He was supporting Brazil in the final Brazil-Bulgaria match, as were his sister and father, but his mother remained neutral.
In 2017, he accompanied his parents to see off his sister and his Potter cousins to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Hugo and Lily shared an eagerness to go to Hogwarts, despite both of them being too young. At King's Cross Station, the two had "an animated discussion about which House they would be sorted into when they finally went to Hogwarts".
Hugo has his mother's brown bushy hair.
Hugo is a Latinised form of the Germanic or Teutonic name Hugh, meaning "bright in spirit and mind". French novelist and poet Victor Hugo was a famous bearer of this name. J. K. Rowling loved his works. As a muggle-born and a book lover, it is possible that Hermione enjoyed Victor Hugo's work as well, and named her son after him.
It is also possible that Ron and Hermione wanted their children to have the same initials as their parents, R and H. Interestingly, both children also have names consisting of four letters.
Behind the scenes
- Hugo is portrayed in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 by Ryan Turner.
- In LEGO Harry Potter, Hugo appears licking a lollipop. His father, Ron, tries to swipe it from him but misses, as Hugo moves his arm.
- In the film, Hugo has red hair like his father instead of brown hair like his mother. This is likely because the information about his hair colour was released after the film.
- Hugo does not make an appearance in the Cursed Child, even though he was present in the same event (first year of Albus Potter) in the Epilogue of Deathly Hallows.
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (play) (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- J.K. Rowling: A Year in the Life (Mentioned only)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
- Wizarding World (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault
Notes and references
- In the last chapter of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, he and his cousin Lily discuss what house they will be sorted in and since Hugo shows no sign of envying Lily for being allowed to go first, it is likely that they are in the same year at Hogwarts. However, it is also possible that he is at least one year younger than Lily since he is not sorted in The cursed child when Lily is.
- As his mother was a Muggle-born and his father was a Pure-blood, this makes Hugo a half-blood wizard.
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Epilogue (Nineteen Years Later)
- The live final of the 2014 Quidditch World Cup, as written by Rita Skeeter and Ginny Potter, states that Rose has her father's hair and Hugo has inherited Hermione's bushy locks. Hermione has brown, bushy hair - thus, to have inherited them, Hugo must have brown bushy hair too.
- "New Cursed Child character portraits of Ron, Hermione and Rose Granger-Weasley" on Pottermore