- Lee Jordan: "And what would you say, Royal, to those listeners who reply that in these dangerous times, it should be 'Wizards first'?"
- Kingsley Shacklebolt: "I'd say that it's one short step from 'Wizards first' to 'pure-bloods first,' and then to 'Death Eaters'. We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving."
- — Kingsley Shacklebolt regarding the equality of humanity[src]
Human is a term referring to a species, for which the Latin name is Homo sapiens. Humans are omnivorous beings that originated in Africa that consist of wizards and witches, Squibs and Muggles. In the wizarding world, some humans have children with non-human beings such as Veela, giants, and goblins, producing half-breeds. These half-breeds may be looked down upon by pure humans.
Humans come in various shapes and sizes, and are one of the most variable species in the world in terms of physique. They are also claimed to be the most intelligent beings on Earth.
Humans can be distinguished in terms of physical appearance, based on their appearance differences range in terms of:
- Skin colour
- Hair colour
- Hair length
- Hair nature (curly, straight, frizzy...)
- Different sized eyes, nose, arms, legs, hands, etc...
In the magical world, humans are usually placed in one of these categories:
Permission to carry a wand
Humans, unlike other magical species, are allowed to carry wands.
Controversy with other speciesNon-human species are not permitted by the Ministry of Magic to carry a wand. This led Barty Crouch Snr's house-elf Winky being freed, and started much aggression between goblins and humans over the rights to use wands. Why only humans reserve the right to own a wand is unknown. Humans are the only beings that are known to create wands. This is similar to how a goblin is the only being that can make a true impenetrable sword, such as Godric Gryffindor's Sword. It is unknown if there are any dangers of non-humans carrying a wand, since Muggles are known not to be able to use wands, although they have no magical power to channel through it. Knowingly giving a wand to a Muggle would likely violate the International Statute of Wizarding Secrecy.
Ministry of Magic
-  These are created and enforced by the Ministries of Magic of various magical countries around the world. Here, human wizards and witches have authority over all other beings. As humans are supposedly the smartest race in the world, they claim rights over all magic laws.
In the wizarding world, many variations of humans exist, (often known as half-breeds) including humans. They are permitted to carry wands and practise human-based magic, despite part of their heritage being non-human. Variations of part-humans include:
- Part-trolls (apparently, although if true, how or why this occurs is unknown)
- Part-elf (possibly)
Behind the scenes
- When speculating whether Voldemort had died or not following his attack on Harry Potter, Rubeus Hagrid stated that he didn't think there was enough human left in Voldemort for him to die.
- Creating Horcruxes causes one's humanity to diminish, leaving one to have less human features, physically and spiritually, as seen with Voldemort.
- When Harry lost his godfather Sirius Black, Albus Dumbledore stated that the emotional pain he felt was prove he is still human, which Harry violently replied he did not want to be human any more.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (play)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film)
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - The Original Screenplay
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Quidditch Through the Ages
- Harry Potter: Quidditch World Cup
- The Tales of Beedle the Bard (real)
- Harry Potter: A Pop-Up Book
- LEGO Creator: Harry Potter
- Creator: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- LEGO Harry Potter: Building the Magical World
- LEGO Harry Potter: Characters of the Magical World
- LEGO Dimensions
- LEGO Harry Potter
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- LEGO Creator: Harry Potter
- Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
- The Queen's Handbag
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Motorbike Escape
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault
- Harry Potter: The Creature Vault
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
Notes and references
- ↑ Witch Rolanda Hooch was mentioned to have yellow eyes resembling a falcon.
- ↑ Wizard Voldemort had eyes of this colour.
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
- ↑ In Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Fleur Delacour states that her mother is half-Veela, indicating that these "half-breeds" do indeed exist.
- ↑ In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Ron mentions his theory that one of the Snatchers he escaped from might have been part troll, indicating that such "half-breeds" may exist, although he may have been joking.
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 4 (The Keeper of the Keys)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 37 (The Lost Prophecy)