At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
The Imp was a magical beast found only in Great Britain and Ireland, notable for its sense of slapstick humour. Imps delighted in tripping and pushing anybody they could get their hands on, as well as lobbing Wizard Crackers and other small projectiles at anybody that they wished to torment.
While rather nonthreatening, an Imp could nonetheless be dispatched rather easily by anyone, by throwing back Wizard Crackers that it had thrown, or by using a Knockback Jinx to daze it, and then dropping it into the nearest cage, hole, or bottomless pit.
The height of the Imp was considered comparable to that of the Pixie, between six to eight inches, but that was where the physical similarities ended. The Imp could not fly like the Pixie, nor was it as brightly coloured. Imp breeding habits were like the Pixies, but their young hatched full formed.
Imps made their home in damp or marshy areas, where they indulged their slapstick sense of humour by pushing and tripping the unwary.
The Imp's diet consisted mainly of insects.
1986–1987 school year
1989–1990 school year
Behind the scenes
- Imps are a creature originating from Germanic myth. Though their portrayal varies greatly, they are often seen as the mischievous familiars of witches or wizards.
- In the video game adaptation of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, you encounter Imps within Ollivanders, where you must knock them out with the Knockback Jinx and throw them in a cage to trap them. You will have similar encounters with them in the remainder of the game and in the video game adaptation of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. They also appear in the video game adaptation of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, but instead of throwing them into a cage, they throw Wizard crackers, and you must kill them by throwing the Cracker back at them.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Console versions only)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (PC and console versions only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (PC version only)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (First appearance)
- Pottermore (Appear on food packet label)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite (Cut from final release)
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 3, Side Quest "The Zonko's Dungbomb Disaster"
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 44 (The Perfect Party) - Care of Magical Creatures Lesson "Imp"
|Care of Magical Creatures|
|Care of Magical Creatures at Hogwarts|
|Hagrid's Hut · Forbidden Forest · Care of Magical Creatures classroom · Magical Creatures (club) · The Paddock|
|Professors||Silvanus Kettleburn · Rubeus Hagrid · Wilhelmina Grubbly-Plank (substitute teacher)|
|Textbooks||The Monster Book of Monsters · Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them|
|Creatures studied at Hogwarts|
|Blast-Ended Skrewt · Bowtruckle · Chimaera · Crup · Demiguise · Diricawl · Doxy · Fairy · Fire Crab · Fire Dwelling Salamander · Flobberworm · Fwooper · Glumbumble · Gnome · Golden Snidget · Griffin · Hippogriff · Imp · Jackalope · Knarl · Kneazle · Moke · Murtlap · Niffler · Occamy · Porlock · Quintaped · Streeler · Thestral · Unicorn|
|Magical creatures by classification|
|X||Flobberworm · Horklump|
|XX||Augurey · Bowtruckle · Chizpurfle · Clabbert · Diricawl · Fairy · Ghoul · Gnome · Grindylow · Imp · Jobberknoll · Mooncalf · Porlock · Puffskein · Ramora · Winged horse|
|XXX||Ashwinder · Billywig · Bundimun · Crup · Doxy · Dugbog · Fire crab · Fwooper · Glumbumble · Hippocampus · Hippogriff · Hodag · Jarvey · Knarl · Kneazle · Leprechaun · Lobalug · Mackled Malaclaw · Moke · Murtlap · Niffler · Nogtail · Pixie · Plimpy · Pogrebin · Red Cap · Salamander · Sea serpent · Shrake · Streeler · Winged horse|
|XXXX||Centaur · Demiguise · Erkling · Erumpent · Golden Snidget · Graphorn · Griffin · Hidebehind · Kappa · Kelpie · Merpeople · Occamy · Phoenix · Re'em · Runespoor · Snallygaster · Sphinx · Tebo · Thestral · Thunderbird · Troll · Unicorn · Winged horse · Yeti|
|XXXXX||Acromantula · Basilisk · Chimaera · Dragon · Horned Serpent · Lethifold · Manticore · Nundu · Quintaped · Wampus cat · Werewolf|