At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
The Impediment Jinx (Impedimenta), also known as the Impediment Hex, is a jinx that hinders the movement of the target, slowing it down or stopping it in its tracks. It is a common spell used in duelling.
It is only temporary, lasting on average for a few seconds. Although it is capable of freezing a wasp in mid-air, it is ineffective against lethifolds. It was also ineffective against armoured opponents, such as Acromantulas and Blast-Ended Skrewts unless it happens to hit them on their underbellies, which have no protective armour.
- "I like the look of this one, this Impediment Jinx. Should slow down anything that’s trying to attack you, Harry. We’ll start with that one."
- —Hermione Granger helping Harry Potter learn the jinx[src]
|Harry Potter||June, 1995||Harry learned this spell to use in the Third Task of the Triwizard Tournament.|
|Blast-Ended Skrewt||24 June, 1995||Used it in the maze during the Third Task of Triwizard Tournament.|
|Death Eater||Used it while running to the Triwizard Cup in the Little Hangleton graveyard.|
|Lucius Malfoy||18 June, 1996||Used it in the Death Chamber during the Battle of the Department of Mysteries.|
|Inferi||30 June, 1997||Used it in the crystal cave during the skirmish.|
|Amycus Carrow||Used it while the latter was duelling Ginny Weasley during the Battle of the Astronomy Tower.|
|Alecto Carrow or again Amycus Carrow||Used it while still chasing Snape and others during the Battle of the Astronomy Tower.|
|Death Eater||27 July, 1997||Used it after the sidecar he was riding in broke off the flying motorbike during the Battle of the Seven Potters.|
|D.A. members||D.A. members||1995-1996 school year||Harry taught the D.A. to use this jinx.|
|Rolanda Hooch||Harry Potter||November, 1995||Used it to knock him away from Draco Malfoy as they were fighting after a Quidditch match.|
|James Potter||Severus Snape||June, 1976||Used it to bully him after an O.W.L. exam.|
|Ron Weasley||wasp||June, 1995||Used it on a flying wasp while helping Harry get ready for the third task of The Triwizard Tournament|
|Neville Longbottom||Inquisitorial Squad members||18 June, 1996||Used it on Inquisitorial Squad members to escape Umbridge's office.|
|Antonin Dolohov||Harry Potter, Hermione Granger and Neville Longbottom||Used it during the Battle of the Department of Mysteries.|
|Harry Potter||Acromantula||24 June, 1995||Used it in the maze during the Third Task of Triwizard Tournament, but unsuccessful.|
|Severus Snape||30 June, 1997||Attempted to used it on, when the latter was trying to flee school grounds after killing Albus Dumbledore. Snape blocked it, citing Harry's inferior skills in Occlumency. All Harry had managed to get out was the first syllable of the incantation.|
Behind the scenes
- In the film version of Order of the Phoenix, James Potter used this spell to levitate Severus Snape and dangle him in the air, while in the book, he used Levicorpus.
- The spell also shares similarities with the Knockback Jinx, Stunning Spell, Banishing Charm, and Disarming Charm in its alternative ability to shove, knock down or send a target flying, sometimes to the extent of rendering a target unconscious.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film) (Disc 2 extra)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Appears in flashback(s))
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game)
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells
- Pottermore (PlayStation Home, during Book Herding)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 31 (The Third Task)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Wonderbook: Book of Spells
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (companion book) - An A-Z of Fantastic Beasts (Lethifold)
- ↑ Pottermore at PlayStation Home
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 19 (The Lion and the Serpent)
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 35 (Beyond the Veil)
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game)
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game)