Jack Sloper was a wizard and substitute Beater on the Gryffindor Quidditch team in 1995. Along with Andrew Kirke, he took over for Fred Weasley and George Weasley. Jack was unsuccessful in rejoining the team the next year.
He expressed interest in continuing to play for Gryffindor, but was replaced the following year. Jack later delivered a message for Albus Dumbledore to Harry Potter with the details of their first lesson. He also asked Harry when tryouts would be held for Quidditch.
Jack derives from John, which means "God (Herbrew) is gracious".
Sloper could come from the English word slope,a surface in which one side is higher than the other. This could relate to his inability to do things right, since slopes have been described as very hard to climb for some people.
Notes and references
- He must have at least been in his second year at the start of the 1995-1996 school year.
- "World Exclusive Interview with J K Rowling," South West News Service, 8 July 2000 - "Hogwarts just serves Britain and Ireland."
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 21 (The Eye of the Snake)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 29 (Careers Advice)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 9 (The Half-Blood Prince)