At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
|"Well, I think we should put it back in order for them, don't you?"|
This student was a witch or wizard who attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry between 1984 and 1991. Their brother Jacob's expulsion from Hogwarts for endangering fellow students in his quest to find the Cursed Vaults had an impact on his younger sibling's first year at Hogwarts when many other students whispered about them for their elder sibling's breaking of school rules which had disgraced their shared schoolhouse. The incident was well-covered in the Daily Prophet, as was Jacob's running away from home, which had a profound effect on the younger sibling.
Early life (Before 1983)
During their childhood, their parents worked together to teach Jacob and his sibling that they could not go around flaunting their magic. In particular, their mother was strict about the use of magic outside of school, refusing both of her children to ride a broomstick before they began attending school.
Jacob began attending Hogwarts during their childhood. Tragedy struck the family when they received an owl from Professor Albus Dumbledore, informing them that Jacob had been expelled for endangering his fellow students in his attempt to prove that the fabled Cursed Vaults really existed.
Shortly after being sent home, Jacob ran away and went missing; many believed that he went on to serve Lord Voldemort, whereas other rumours said he had returned to Hogwarts after his expulsion to resume his search. His younger sibling would, years later, reject the former possibility. When his sibling and mother heard he went missing, they were upset over the news and cried.
Meeting Rowan Khanna
Shortly after receiving the Hogwarts acceptance letter, Jacob's sibling travelled to Diagon Alley to buy school supplies, and met and befriended future fellow student and housemate Rowan Khanna, who came from a wizarding family of wood farmers. Rowan suggested to start at Flourish and Blotts. While picking up The Standard Book of Spells, Jacob's sibling excitedly remarked how they looked forward to learning all the Charms; upon picking up Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, they said they were familiar with it and thought it to be brilliant. Afterwards, they journeyed to Ollivanders Wand Shop to purchase their first wand: Garrick Ollivander expressed both concern and curiosity about what sort of effect their brother's choices had made on this individual, but still looked forward to seeing what kind of life they would lead. When the shopping concluded, Jacob's sibling and Rowan promised to see each other again on the train.
On 1 September 1984, Jacob's sibling boarded the Hogwarts Express on Platform Nine and Three-Quarters, through the magical barrier at King's Cross Station. Upon arrival, they were greeted at the Great Hall by the rest of the students and the staff. Professor McGonagall proceeded to provide them with a short explanation of the four Hogwarts Houses — Gryffindor, the brave and chivalrous, Hufflepuff, the kind and diligent, Ravenclaw, the witty and wise, and Slytherin, the cunning and ambitious — voicing her hope that all of the newcomers would make fine additions to the ranks of great witches and wizards that each House had produced in the past. When Jacob's sibling was called to be Sorted, the Sorting Hat remarked that "[it hadn't] seen one like this in a long time", and took their choice of House into account — which was the same as their brother Jacob's. Later, they found that Rowan had been Sorted into the same House as them.
When the sorting was done and all first years having found places to sit among their new housemates, Professor Dumbledore rose and stood behind the Owl Lecturn in front of the High Table. He gave a brief speech of welcomes, educated the new arrivals on the rules of the House Cup and on what a great honour it would be to win it. At the end of the Start-of-Term Feast, Jacob's sibling's Head of House moved to stand beside the Headmaster, announcing to the students of their house that it was time for them to move to their common room. Once there, Jacob's sibling reunited with Rowan, and the two briefly discussed their shared excitement over finally attending school and their new House before agreeing to go to bed, as they would have to be up bright and early for Charms first thing in the morning.
Starting classes and making archenemies
As Charms was one of the subjects Jacob's sibling had most looked forward to, when arriving at the Charms Classroom, they courteously greeted the Charms Master, Professor Flitwick. Recognising the individual as Jacob's sibling, Filius Flitwick answered in kind, claiming that he was certain the student would do just fine, as their older brother had been one of his most skilled students at Hogwarts prior to his expulsion. Even so, he subtly warned them against trouble-making, adding that Jacob had been one of his most rebellious students as well.
Later on, Jacob's sibling encountered Merula Snyde, an imperious and cruel Slytherin student, who tried to bully Rowan into admitting her as the most powerful witch to ever attend Hogwarts. Jacob's sibling intervened on Rowan's behalf and stood up for them against Merula, but before their argument went any further, Professor Severus Snape ordered them to get into the Potions Classroom for the subsequent class. The animosity formed between Merula and Jacob's sibling grew in that lesson, for at the end of the class, Merula sabotaged the Cure for Boils Jacob's sibling brewed with Bulbadox powder, which caused the potion to explode, resulting in them and Rowan Khanna being punished unfairly by Snape for their presumed clumsiness.
Not long after the incident, Jacob's sibling was introduced to Ben Copper and the House Prefect. The mutual dislike between Jacob's sibling and Merula Snyde led to a duel, which was interrupted by the arrival of Professors Snape and Flitwick. Snape instructed both Merula and Jacob's sibling to arrive in the West Towers to receive their punishment. On their way to receive their punishment, they encountered Penny Haywood, the most popular girl in their year. She thanked them for having the courage to stand up to the school bully, Merula Snyde, and offered them her help in whatever they needed, which Jacob's sibling appreciated. Once they met Snape, Jacob's sibling lost house points for their house, while Merula did not. Before Snape could dispense punishment, however, he was interrupted by the school caretaker, Argus Filch, who required him and so Snape was forced to depart from the two students although he unknowingly was followed by Jacob's sibling and Merula Snyde who subsequently overheard Snape and Filch talking about the mysterious Cursed Vaults, resulting in Jacob's sibling deciding to try to find them.
Encountering Fenrir Greyback
One Hallowe'en, Fenrir Greyback and his army attacked Hogwarts. Chiara Lobosca, a werewolf student (in human form at the time), spotted Greyback and two werewolves emerging from the Forbidden Forest and tried to attack them, but was easily defeated. Shortly afterwards, Greyback and his two werewolf companions encountered Jacob's sibling, who defiantly stood up to them and briefly held off one of the two werewolves with their spells. Before Grayback could better coordinate the assault on and hence overwhelm the young pupil, however, he caught the scent of Albus Dumbledore and made a hasty retreat, who arrived just too late to capture him. The headmaster briefly examined the injured student on the ground and instructed the other one to return to their dormitory while he attended to Chiara, explaining that he would contact the Ministry of Magic and ask them to send an expert from the Werewolf Capture Unit to help to stop Grayback.
The next full moon, Greyback and his army attacked Hogwarts again. This time, they encountered Jacob's sibling and Cecil Lee, whom the Ministry had sent on Dumbledore's behest. During the confrontation, Cecil tried to use the Homorphus Charm on Greyback's werewolf companions, but, as he was out of range, it failed. While Cecil was surrounded by the two other werewolves, Greyback transformed. He was attacked by Chiara in her werewolf form, but swiftly and brutally put her out of action by knocking her unconscious. After this, Jacob's sibling successfully held him at bay by some swift-spell-casting. Having fended off the two werewolves attacking him, who had retreated to Grayback's side, Cecil swiftly stepped forward and conjured ropes from the end of his wand to restrain the pack leader. Having captured the three werewolves, Cecil agreed not to capture Chiara due to her heroic actions.
Not long afterwards, Greyback had already managed to escape from the Werewolf Capture Unit, though Mr Lee was confident that enough members of his pack had been rounded up to force him to keep his head low for a while.
The cursed ice
They discovered the cursed ice, but when Merula tailed them, they were forced to rescue her. Albus Dumbledore summoned Jacob's sibling to come see him, making them fearful they would be expelled for their actions. On the contrary, Dumbledore awarded them one hundred points for their courage and compassion, and year one came to a close for Jacob's sibling.
Ben Copper's disappearance
During the 1985–1986 school year, Ben Copper went missing shortly after the start of their second year, and Jacob's sibling tried to search the castle for him. While doing so, they found a note in the Artefact Room. With help from Rowan, the note was deciphered, signed by someone using the initial "R", it contained instructions to locate a Black Quill hidden in a common room different from their own, which would turn into a note with additional information when untransfigured. These instructions were allegedly meant for Ben to follow, and the note was speculated to have a connection to his disappearance. Jacob's sibling was puzzled, but decided to do as the note said in hopes of finding Ben. They learned the Shrinking Charm and Engorgement Charm in order to enter the other house's common room by using them on themselves and sneaking in undetected when the common room was empty, during a game of Quidditch between Gryffindor and Slytherin. In preparation for this, Jacob's sibling questioned Flitwick about the ramifications of using such spells on living things, but Flitwick became suspicious and strictly forbade it. Nevertheless, the infiltration was partially successful: they found the Black Quill in the common room, but while exiting they were caught by the common room's corresponding Head of House, who asked them to explain their behaviour.
Shortly after this, they untransfigured the Quill using Reparifarge, and it transformed into another note from R, instructing the reader to go to the farthest corridor at the end of the fifth floor, re-transfigure the scroll into a Black Quill, and return it to the common room in which it had been hidden. They did so, and while inspecting the corridor, they found out the professors were already there. They also found Ben frozen in the cursed ice, but the professors saved him by casting the Fire-Making Spell, explaining that the cursed ice appeared to have developed resistance to the Knockback Jinx.
Meeting Bill Weasley
In the beginning of their third year, they were initially not allowed to attend Hogsmeade because they have broken a lot of school rules. Their Head of House offered to let them go if they studied hard, which they did, eventually gaining permission. There, they went to the Three Broomsticks and asked Madam Rosmerta about Jacob. She gave them a black quill that belonged to Jacob. Using Reparifarge, Jacob's sibling transformed it back into a notebook and told Rosmerta what it was. But Filch, who overheard, seized the notebook and took it to his office, as ordered by Professor Snape.
Teaming up with Tulip Karasu
With the help of Nymphadora Tonks, Jacob's sibling tricked Filch and got the notebook back. To hide in his office again, they used the Shrinking Charm. Rowan Khanna deciphered the notebook, and they learn about a room where Jacob researched the Cursed Vaults. The room was closed with a double lock, and no spell worked against it. Jacob's sibling and another student read that the lock was the property of a Ravenclaw girl named Tulip Karasu and asked her for help. After testing their character, Tulip told that she had one of the keys from that lock, and Merula had the other one.
Understanding that Merula would not return the key, Tulip and Jacob's sibling pranked Merula's comrades into leaving, and when she was alone, they asked her to return the key. She agreed after Jacob's sibling defeated her in a duel again, but she tells them she had already taken what she needed from there and warned them not to trust Tulip. In the room, Tulip and Jacob's sibling encountered a boggart, who took the form of Voldemort.
Subsequently, Tulip confessed that her greed and naivety had driven her to double-cross Merula, though Jacob's sibling urged her not to self-deprecate and gave her the benefit of the doubt when she swore she would never repeat the same mistake.
Meeting Patricia Rakepick
During the 1987–1988 school year, their fourth year, a sleepwalking epidemic spread throughout the school due to the opening of a third, unknown Cursed Vault, with victims apparently heading to the Forbidden Forest. When Jacob's sibling visited Tulip, one of the first victims, in the Hospital Wing, the two talked about the incident and concluded that the third vault was likely located in the forest.
Jacob's sibling began attracting the attention of Madam Patricia Rakepick, a Curse-Breaker invited to the school by Dumbledore. Rakepick taught them the Shield Charm and told them to stay away from the Cursed Vaults, but later changed her mind and planned to recruit them along with some of their fellow students to find the next vault. Jacob's sibling decided to investigate Rakepick and asked the professors their opinions about her, which were mostly negative. Rakepick found out about that and invited Jacob's sibling to a private conversation, in which she told them to stop doing so, while continuing with her plan of using their assistance.
At a certain point, Rakepick repeatedly invited Jacob's sibling, their friends, as well as their enemies Merula and Ismelda, to meet at the Training Grounds for a little competition to elect an assistant to her.
Jacob's sibling asked Professor Kettleburn what is the best way to go to the Forbidden Forest, and he agreed to answer that question if they studied enough about bowtruckles. At some point, they received a forged letter supposedly signed by Kettleburn, which was actually a bait to lure them to the Courtyard, where a cloaked figure attacked them with the Full Body-Bind Curse and told them to stay away from the Cursed Vaults, the Forbidden Forest and Rakepick, further adding that "death is coming to Hogwarts" and may come to them as well if they disobey. The figure told that someone would eventually remove the binding curse, but it is unknown who did so. After freed, Jacob's sibling only told about this incident to a few friends.
Kettleburn, after satisfied with Jacob's sibling's study on bowtruckles, answered their question. He said that by using a broom they could get to the forest mostly undetected. They then proceeded to try to get a broom, first by asking Madam Hooch to borrow one, which she refused due to the Black Lake incident and not trusting them, and later by attempting to steal one from Filch's office, where all brooms they found were broken. (They incidentally found, however, another message transfigured into a black quill, which was a threat from R to Rakepick telling her to leave Hogwarts.) As a last resort, they asked another student to borrow their broom; the student was reluctant at first, but Jacob's sibling managed to convince them to borrow the broom by talking to them at Three Broomsticks.
At the start of the 1988–1989 school year, their fifth year, Jacob's sibling met Penny's younger sister Beatrice, who gave them a hand-made Puffskein. They later went to the Library to speak with Bill Weasley who was studying for his N.E.W.T. Exams. After this they met Madam Rakepick on the Training Grounds who along with Bill and Merula had been chosen as Rakepick's apprentice curse-breakers in their pursuit of the fourth Cursed Vault. She taught them how to cast the Incarcerous Spell and had Jacob's sibling demonstrate it on Merula much to her chagrin. That night, Jacob's sibling went to meet Ben Copper in the Courtyard where they discussed Ben attacking the former last year. Before they could finish their conversation, both were confronted and attacked by another figure in a red cloak. The figure subdued both with a Full Body-Bind Curse before repeating their previous warning that death was coming to Hogwarts and telling them that they needed them alive and that before the school term ended, one of their friends would die.
Jacob's sibling was later invited to the Three Broomsticks by Merula Snyde along with Bill Weasley. The three talked about how they should start co-operating. Soon, Penny Haywood came to inform that Beatrice was missing. The four decided to split into pairs. Jacob's sibling and one of the three searched the Red Cap's Hole and Spider's Lair, but could not find Beatrice. In the latter location, Jacob's sibling fought the same Acromantula who was guarding the Forest Vault the previous school year.
Jacob's sibling got O.W L.s in Potions, Charms, Transfiguration, Herbology, Defence Against the Dark Arts, History of Magic and Care of Magical Creatures. They most likely also got O.W.L.s in Divination and Astronomy, two subjects which they continued to take in their sixth year.
During the 1989–1990 school year, their sixth year, Jacob's sibling proceeded to take N.E.W.T.-level Transfiguration, Charms, Divination, Herbology, History of Magic, Potions, Care of Magical Creatures, Defence Against the Dark Arts, and Astronomy.
Finding a white quill
Sometime during the school year, Talbott Winger informed Jacob's sibling about a white owl that he discovered in the Owlery, which dropped many letters. One of the letters was written in Japanese, which they translated to a message informing them of a white quill by the shore of the Great Lake. After a search of the lake shore, they found a white quill, which they untransfigured to reveal a message sent by the organisation R addressed to Jacob, asking him to meet the sender in the Forbidden Forest Grove. Jacob's sibling then joined up with Ben Copper to go together into the Forest Grove to intercept the meeting. Ben then recruited Merula Snyde to join them, which was at first not accepted by Jacob's sibling, however he was eventually convinced to take her.
Entering the Forest and searching
The three then went into the Forbidden Forest, heading to the Forest Grove. Unbeknownst to them however, they were being followed from a close distance behind them by their friend, Rowan Khanna. Eventually they reached the Forest Grove, and began to search for clues. The search led them to the discovery of an Opal Necklace belonging to the dark witch Patricia Rakepick. As they were discussing the discovery, a swarm of Dementors showed up and circled the group. The group then began casting the Patronus Charm to protect themselves, however they were unsuccessful as they were overwhelmed with the sheer number of present Dementors.
Duelling with Rakepick and Rowan's death
Rakepick then apparated into the vicinity and cast a powerful Patronus Charm, warding off all of the Dementors. She then engaged in a duel with the students, witch was watched by Rowan. Eventually, Jacob's sibling and Merula were defeated, with only Ben still fighting. Ben then engaged in a duel with her, with Rakepick winning and deflecting most of his attacks. Eventually, Ben cast Flipendo Maxima at her, stating that it would teach her a lesson. She then told him that she would teach him a lesson for him to take to his grave, and subsequently cast a Killing Curse at Ben, intending to kill him. However, Rowan, who had been watching the entire duel from a close distance, sacrificed their life by jumping in front of Ben, ending their life and saving that of their friends.
Rowan's death struck the entirety of Hogwarts as an extremely painful event and their death was mourned by all of their friends, who found it difficult to come to terms with their tragic loss. In particular to suffer were Jacob's sibling, Ben Copper, and Merula Snyde, all of whom had watched them die. A memorial service took place in the Great Hall, where Professor Dumbledore gave a brief eulogy of Rowan's life, aspirations and sacrifice before leading the students and staff in raising their wands as a tribute to Rowan.
Forming the Circle of Khanna
Rowan's murder prompted a vengeful Jacob's sibling, Merula and Ben to form their own secret organisation to combat the malevolent "R" and get revenge on Rakepick for what she had done. The organisation was named Circle of Khanna in memory of Rowan with Jacob's sibling taking up the role of leader.
The groups first tasks
After the forming of the group, all members with the exception of Jacob's sibling and Penny Haywood split into smaller groups based on their abilities and interests. Each group went into a different location in or near Hogwarts Castle.
One such group consisted of Merula Snyde and Ismelda Murk, who went to the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom along with Beatrice Haywood, who found about the Circle of Khanna from the two and showed interest in joining. The three studied curses and dark artefacts, as this knowledge could be useful for entering a Cursed Vault. Some time later, Jacob's sibling came to the classroom to see how the group was doing and was surprised to find Beatrice, as the group was meant to be secret. Not long after, Penny came to the classroom, as she heard from Cedric Diggory that Beatrice had gone there. Penny and Beatrice made up after their feud which had started in the beginning of the school year.
Another group gathered in the Transfiguration classroom. This group consisted of Jae Kim, Nymphadora Tonks, Tulip Karasu, and Andre Egwu, and focused on disguises and stealth. When Jae went to the Transfiguration classroom, he was followed by Fred and George Weasley, who were interested in joining the Circle of Khanna. Jae went to the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom to ask if the twins could join the Circle of Khanna as well. As he entered the classroom, he saw Beatrice accepted as a member, and came to the conclusion that Fred and George could join as well as they were also younger students. Jacob's sibling followed Jae to the Transfiguration classroom, where the other students explained their plans to Jacob's sibling.
Charles Weasley, Liz Tuttle, and Barnaby Lee gathered on the school grounds where Care of Magical Creatures classes were held. The three decided to train marine creatures, specifically Plimpies and Murtlaps, as they could be helpful for finding the final Cursed Vault. However, as one of the Murtlaps, Hester, went missing, Charlie went to look for Jacob's sibling for help, and found them in the Transfiguration classroom. The two went back to the school grounds where they looked for Hester until they were able to find her.
Talbott Winger and Badeea Ali teamed up to make a Map of the Great Lake, which could be helpful in figuring out the location of the final Cursed Vault. Talbott scoured the area for any landmarks and Badeea painted the lake. The two went to the Hogwarts Library in order to work on their painting. Some time later, Jacob's sibling came to the Library and saw the two. Badeea and Talbott explained their plan to Jacob's sibling. However, librarian Irma Pince did not approve of the students talking and painting in the library, and as such, they decided to continue on the Training Grounds.
Ben Copper decided to invite his friend Cedric Diggory to the Circle of Khanna, seeing that his good duelling skills could help the group. The two, along with Diego Caplan, went to the Training Grounds in order to train duelling spells. After the three had trained for hours, Jacob's sibling, who had agreed to meet Talbott and Badeea in the area, spotted the three students.
Jacob's sibling's physical appearance is mostly a mystery. However, it is known that they are slender and of average height. They usually wore the traditional school robes.
Personality and traits
Jacob's sibling was extremely compassionate and, while not as perceptive as their best friend Rowan Khanna, still possessed a keen intellect. They were very talented and academically competent, being skilled in a number of magical fields, receiving much praise from the majority of their teachers, often responding to such praise by grinning. They were also skilled at coming up with things quickly and lying effectively, though they never lied if they could avoid doing so.
Thanks to the actions of their brother Jacob, they were often the subject of dislike and apprehension and had difficulty making friends. They were unfazed by this, and instead chose to be nonjudgmental and accepting of those around them. Jacob's sibling was very loyal to their friends. They were always eager to help them, such as when they helped Ben Copper overcome his fear of riding a broomstick and convinced him to stop isolating in a closet, and when they acted like they could see through Talbott Winger's apparent lack of desire for friendship in general. Jacob's sibling was also very empathetic, as best shown by how they treated Talbott Winger, Barnaby Lee, Ismelda Murk and Merula Snyde.
Jacob's sibling was very courageous, as they stood up to Merula Snyde, Severus Snape, and even Fenrir Greyback, and sought out the Cursed Vaults relentlessly in spite of the teachers warning them not to. Jacob's sibling believed that in finding the vaults, they would gain new knowledge and treasure, but most of their drive came from wanting to find their brother, whom they loved unconditionally.
Though never a defining trait, Jacob's sibling had a cheeky and occasionally sarcastic sense of humour, such as when they encouraged Ben to stop isolating and added "…though the skulls might miss you". In their first year, Merula told them they were unwanted to which they replied "You're the one everyone wishes would just go away". When Chiara Lobosca accused them of having ulterior motives for chatting, they replied, "It's possible my ulterior motive might be trying to get to know you better."
In their second year, Jacob's sibling developed a passion for Quidditch as well as possessing a natural talent for it, which caused them to bond with Skye Parkin. Their skills were best served as being a Chaser.
For Jacob's sibling, their years at Hogwarts have been a journey of growth and renewal. Despite being a lonely child who frequently watched their brother closely with immense concern and kept to themselves, Jacob's sibling has found a family at school that can relate to them and give them new purpose and meaning. Their social skills improved phenomenally during their magical education. Indeed, they tend to form the closest relationships (positive and negative) with students who bring out their own strengths: being around Rowan Khanna has made them more intellectual, being around Ben Copper has made them more compassionate, being around Penny Haywood has made them more extroverted, being around Nymphadora Tonks has made them more unafraid of being themselves, being around Skye Parkin has made them more sports-minded, and being around Merula Snyde has made them more empathetic and less vulnerable. Jacob's sibling tends to have some of those effects on their friends in turn, as people like Haywood and Talbott Winger have pointed out, they are both a safe place and dependable source when their friends are vulnerable, endangered, conflicted, or all of the above.
Magical abilities and skills
- Magical aptitude: An academically strong student, Jacob's sibling quickly achieved such good results in their schoolwork that they received praise from most of their teachers, with Albus Dumbledore, arguably the greatest wizard of all time, openly acknowledging their magical prowess to be exemplary. They demonstrated tremendous ability and proved a cleverer student than most of their classmates, quickly mastering and becoming the best in most of the fields of magic taught at Hogwarts. Indeed, their formidable magical power allowed them to achieve O.W.L.s in all their subjects, to apprehend the immensely savage Fenrir Greyback alongside the Werewolf Capture Unit, to assist Auror Alastor Moody in tracking down the malevolent organisation 'R', to come out as the triumphant winner of the prestigious All-Wizard Tournament, to master the extremely powerful and difficult Patronus Charm by only their fourth year, and to save Hogwarts from the menacing threat of the Cursed Vaults on numerous occasions.
- Love: Jacob's sibling loved their older brother unconditionally, being devastated when he went missing from home and shedding tears over his sudden disappearance. Their love for him spurred them to take action and rescue him by obsessively searching for the Cursed Vaults for many years, despite their teachers explicitly forbidding them to do so under the threat of expulsion from Hogwarts and despite the extreme danger in which Jacob's sibling repeatedly placed themselves under while seeking out each of the Cursed Vaults. Although their love was at its strongest when directed towards their brother, as he was the driving force that kept them persisting until they found him, their love also extended towards their friends, whom they were always willing to help or assist in whatever way they could whenever their friends were vulnerable, endangered or conflicted, which, in turn, resulted in Jacob's sibling developing an exceedingly compassionate nature. Their compassion even enabled them to sympathise with those whom they were initially antagonistic with, such as Merula Snyde, Barnaby Lee, and Ismelda Murk.
- Wandless and nonverbal magic: Jacob's sibling was apparently quite capable in casting nonverbal spells, as they subdued a Hungarian Horntail using the Sleeping Charm, duelled against Patricia Rakepick in the Portrait Vault and later again in the Forest Grove, all without uttering a word. They also demonstrated impressive wandless magic when using the Butterfly-conjuring spell during their imitation of the Beauxbatons dance routine, a performance that Madame Maxime ultimately deemed magnificent.
- "You continue to exhibit a gift for Potions."
- —Severus Snape[src]
- Potions: Jacob's sibling was superbly talented in potion-making, as they achieved an 'Outstanding' on their O.W.L. exam to be able to advance to the N.E.W.T.-level Potions class taught by Severus Snape, thus displaying their great proficiency for potion-making. They were able to brew everything from basic to moderately difficult concoctions to the desired effect, notably brewing a Fire-Breathing Potion flawlessly after only seeing the Potions Master do it once. Indeed, despite his personal dislike of the student, Severus Snape himself admitted that this individual had an undeniable gift for potions and Penny Haywood, arguably the best student of the subject, praised Jacob's sibling's talent in potion-making, going so far as to suggest that they consider a career as a Potioneer.
- "You truly do have a gift for Charms."
- —Filius Flitwick[src]
- Charms: Jacob's sibling was known to be exceptionally skilled in charm-work, as they achieved either an 'Exceeds Expectations' or 'Outstanding' on their O.W.L. exam to be able to advance to N.E.W.T.-level Charms. In their very first lesson, they cast the best Wand-Lighting Charm that Professor Flitwick had seen from a first-year in a long time. They were usually the first to master any new spell Professor Flitwick taught (such as the Disarming Charm, the Levitation Charm, and the Unlocking Charm) with little difficulty, and by their second year, they were capable of casting the Shrinking Charm to such an effect that they became the size of an insect and thus, virtually invisible to the naked eye. They could also just as easily reverse the effect with an Engorgement Charm without experiencing any side effects. During class, Professor Flitwick would often commend them for their 'fine technique' and even request that they assist him in demonstrating how to cast spells properly for their fellow classmates. By their fourth year, they produced a Shield Charm that was strong enough to deflect a Blasting Curse from the much older and more experienced Patricia Rakepick, visibly impressing her. They even performed an advanced Memory Charm to erase the memory of Merula Snyde when she overhead important information about Talbott Winger. Furthermore, they learned how to conjure a fully-corporeal Patronus Charm by their fourth year, an outstanding feat for a Hogwarts student. Indeed, the Charms Master himself openly acknowledged Jacob's sibling to be one of his most talented students.
- Defence Against the Dark Arts: When they were tutored, alongside the rest of their year, by the famous Patricia Rakepick, in Defence Against the Dark Arts, Jacob's sibling soon became the best student of the subject, seamlessly mastering Hex Deflection and proving quite adept in repelling the dark creatures of the lessons. Rakepick herself praised their abilities in this field, with them having achieved either an 'Exceeds Expectations or 'Outstanding' on their O.W.L. exam to be able to study the subject further at N.E.W.T.-level. They also successfully learned many defensive and offensive spells during their DADA education, including spells taught by their classmates. For an example of their defensive skills, in their Third year, they were successfully able to subdue a Boggart in the form of Lord Voldemort with the Boggart-Banishing Spell. Indeed, Alastor Moody, arguably the greatest Auror of all time, expressed his pride in Jacob's sibling, praising them for their Auror-like mindset while Nymphadora Tonks, who would later grow up to become a successful Auror, suggested that Jacob's sibling consider the career, given that they had experience hunting down Dark wizards and clearly displayed familiarity with the job and training.
- Dark Arts: Though seldom a practitioner of the Dark Arts, Jacob's sibling was nonetheless surprisingly adept in its usage, being able to successfully cast a vast array of dark charms such as the hex Densaugeo, the Sea Urchin Jinx, the Knockback Jinx, the Curse of the Bogies, the Ear-Shrivelling Curse, the Jelly-Legs Curse, the Conjunctivitis Curse, the Reductor Curse and the Blasting Curse. They were, however, horrified when Patricia Rakepick used the Cruciatus Curse on a Dark Wizard in Knockturn Alley, rejecting her offer to teach the curse to them and adamantly refusing to ever use it on anyone.
- Duelling: Jacob's sibling quickly became a formidable duelist for their age, outclassing the likes of the more experienced Merula Snyde and even Bill Weasley, both of whom were of one of the most skilled students at Hogwarts, with the latter having two years of education over them. Though usually coming out triumphant in most duels against their peers, they eres unable to beat Ben Copper in a duel to the death, who trounced them but was quickly defeated when Patricia Rakepick came for the rescue, striking him with a Blasting Curse. This individual's skills were already so great by their first year that they could even hold off Fenrir Greyback while he was in his werewolf form, with some swift spell-casting. By their fifth year, they were able to out-duel a dark witch in the Knockturn Alley, despite being there for the first time and defeated an adult wizard named Alistair Fidgen, when he threatened their friend Jae Kim. However, they were no match for Patricia Rakepick, as she easily subdued them before they could even cast a spell in their fifth year and again when they attempted to attack her in their sixth year. They also acknowledged the vast gap between them and Dumbledore, noting that it would be suicide for them to try to infiltrate his office. This individual was able to out-duel the more experienced Peter Pettigrew after he revealed himself to them. Their duelling aptitude was also clearly staggering in that they were capable of facing and subduing some of the most dangerous beasts in the world, notably being capable enough to overpower the Forest Vault Acromantula (with even the formidable Rubeus Hagrid being seemingly unwilling to contend with the beast), to single-handedly defeat a Hungarian Horntail (with even the incredibly powerful Patricia Rakepick being incapable of performing such a feat during her youth, despite having received assistance from accomplices) and to hold off the incredibly savage Chimaera long enough for others to come to their rescue on more than one occasion. By their sixth year, they were even able to contend with Alastor Moody, who was considered to be the most famous Auror of all time and an extremely skilled duelist, in a duel training with him. Although they themselves acknowledged that Moody wasn't fighting seriously, which Moody himself admitted as he was only trying to assess their skills, Moody still acknowledged their duelling prowess, even going so far as to say that they could give some of his Aurors difficulty in besting them. Their ability to fight both skilled duellists and dark wizards showed them to have considerable proficiency in martial magic.
- "Your skill in Transfiguration belies your years."
- —Minerva McGonagall[src]
- Transfiguration: Jacob's sibling demonstrated considerable talent in transfiguration, as they achieved either an 'Exceeds Expectations' or 'Outstanding' on their O.W.L. exam to be able to study the subject further at N.E.W.T.-level. They succeeded in casting the best Reparifarge spell (an untransfiguration spell) on their first try, impressing even Professor Minerva McGonagall with their talent, who deemed their abilities in transfiguration to belay their years. As a matter of fact, McGonagall was so impressed that she even offered to give this individual advanced transfiguration lessons outside the class. Indeed, their skill in this subject was so advanced that already before graduating, they were able to become a fully-fledged Animagus, with immense dedication and hard work.
- Herbology: By their own admission, one of Jacob's sibling's favourite classes was Herbology, with them being able to achieve an O.W.L. on the subject and study it further at N.E.W.T.-level, thus demonstrating their proficieny for the magical field. They were knowledgeable in various types of magical plants and were also able to successfully grow a perfect specimen of Sugar Shrub in their third year, remarking that whoever drank Butterbeer made with this was in for a "sugar shock", thus showcasing their impressive talent in this subject.
- "Yeh got a way with creatures."
- —Rubeus Hagrid[src]
- Care of Magical Creatures: Jacob's sibling was shown to possess a natural flair for Care of Magical Creatures, being able to achieve an O.W.L. on the subject and study it further at N.E.W.T.-level, thus showcasing their talent for handling and communicating with various magical creatures, along with the understanding of them. This individual began taking this class in their third year of Hogwarts education, and was known to have been rather good in the subject, showing their interest and skill in the field of Magizoology. Indeed, Charlie Weasley, one of the best students of the subject, commended Jacob's sibling's flair for tending to magical creatures, going so far as to suggest that they consider a career as a Magizoologist.
- History of Magic: Jacob's sibling was skilled in History of Magic, as they were able to achieve an O.W.L. in the subject and study it further at N.E.W.T.-level., an impressive achievement, given the subject's infamy for being exceedingly dull. Ismelda Murk, one of the best students of the subject, recognised Jacob's sibling's knowledge in magical history, going so far as to suggest that they consider a career as a Magical Historian.
- Divination: Jacob's sibling was skilled in Divination, as they were able to achieve an O.W.L in the subject and study it further at N.E.W.T.-level, thus showing aptitude in the subject.
- Astronomy: Jacob's sibling was skilled in Astronomy, as they were able to achieve an O.W.L in the subject and study it further at N.E.W.T.-level, thus showing aptitude in the subject.
- "You were born to fly."
- —Rolanda Hooch[src]
- "You're a Quidditch phenom."
- —Murphy McNully[src]
- Flying: Jacob's sibling's flying skills were also above average, given they were barred from their mother to owning a broom after Jacob's disappearance. While never being fast enough to catch up to Quidditch players like Charlie Weasley or Andre Egwu, their skills were adequate enough to beat Merula Snyde in a fast sprint, or keep up with Rowan Khanna, Ben Copper and Bill Weasley when flying into Forbidden Forest. They were also a very skilled Quidditch player; they trialled as the house's new Chaser which would be the individual's second year. This individual already showed natural courage, instincts, agility and stamina, which convinced Skye Parkin to teach them to play, first as a Chaser due to needs.
- Curse-Breaker: Like Bill Weasley, this individual was a gifted curse-breaker, even when it was due to the urgency to find Jacob. This individual was able to unlock the secrets behind the Cursed Vaults.
- "You have a way with patients."
- —Poppy Pomfrey[src]
- Healing magic: After taking care of an injured Rowan, Jacob's sibling became an assistant of Madam Pomfrey, and studied healing magic on their own, who would eventually denote them as a natural Healer and an exceptional assistant, to the point of beginning to wonder if Jacob's sibling might eventually proceed her in being responsible for the Hospital Wing one day, which certainly highlighted their skill and knowledge in medical magic. They were proficient with the casting of the Healing spell Episkey as well as the Bandaging Charm.
- Legilimency: This individual was a natural-born and powerful Legilimens, like their brother Jacob, thus giving them the magical ability to read and navigate the minds of others. They have successfully used this power against Argus Filch, Madam Rosmerta, and several of the Hogwarts house-elves, but were repelled by Snape. They also lacked any facility with Occlumency and were thus unable to defend themselves from mental intrusion.
- Spell creation: Jacob's sibling helped Badeea Ali invent the Star Shower Spell and designed the Snowfall spell to such potency by themselves that they inadvertently created a snowstorm. Nonetheless, these are both highly impressive magical achievements, given the very high level of difficulty of creating new spells.
- Quidditch knowledge: Jacob's sibling confessed to Andre Egwu that they were knowledgeable in Quidditch, despite not playing the sport themselves until second year. It is possible for this individual to gain more knowledge with help from Penny Haywood, and to pass the Face Paint Kid's Knowledge Quiz.
- Singing skills: Jacob's sibling was a surprisingly skilled singer, as when singing with Tulip Karasu's toad Dennis in front of a variety of listeners, their skills were sufficient enough to be acknowledged by the popular music band the Weird Sisters, Choir Master Filius Flitwick and even the callous Severus Snape. Indeed, despite the relatively short time that they had to begin honing their singing capabilities, they already proved themselves to surpass the singing prowess of the more experienced Merula Snyde. As such, Jacob's sibling put on such an impressive showing to Flitwick during their audition to be the newest member of the Frog Choir, that Tulip deemed their performance to be the best out of all the participants, which was ultimately proven true when Flitwick offered them exclusive membership into the Frog Choir.
- "You have a talent for solving mysteries."
- —Albus Dumbledore[src]
- Detective skills: Jacob's sibling had tremendous skills in tracking and detection, since they tracked down their brother Jacob to the Portrait Vault after years of skilfully employing both inductive and deductive reasoning in their dogged pursuit of the Cursed Vaults.
- Teaching skills: Jacob's sibling was an excellent teacher of Charms, as they often tutored struggling students. This was even acknowledged by Professor Flitwick and Professor Tofty.
- Leadership skills: Jacob's sibling was shown to be a very accomplished and talented leader, as they were able to found and effectively lead the Circle of Khanna against the malevolent organisation 'R', productively coordinating the group's efforts and inspiring fierce loyalty from them all.
- Indomitable willpower: The will of Jacob's sibling was extremely strong, and while not above self-doubt, they have never been known to give up on anything or anyone, tirelessly seeking the Cursed Vaults for the sake of their brother. Their willpower gave them great courage, enough to stand in the face of Merula's antics, Snape's cruelty, and Greyback's murderous intent.
- First wand: Jacob's sibling obtained this wand from Ollivanders before their first year. This wand was destroyed by Patricia Rakepick in the 1988–1989 school year.
- Jacob's notebook: Jacob's sibling had obtained their older brother Jacob's notebook after they transformed it back into a notebook. With the help of Nymphadora Tonks, they managed to get it back from Filch's office.
- Dress robes: Jacob's sibling wore a set of dress robes to the Celestial Ball. They had a choice between three different styles: Star-Studded, Classic Glamour and Forest Fancy.
- Second wand: Jacob's sibling purchased a new wand in the 1988–1989 school year after Patricia Rakepick destroyed their first wand.
- Hand-made Puffskein: Beatrice Haywood gave Jacob's sibling a hand-made Puffskein as a gift.
- All-Wizard Cup: A trophy awarded to Jacob's sibling after they won the prestigious All-Wizard Tournament. It resided in a shelf in their dormitory.
- Marauder's Map: Jacob's sibling obtained the Marauder's Map after they found it on the floor of the Icy Corridor along with Scabbers in their fifth year.
- Invisibility cloak: Jacob's sibling was given an Invisibility cloak by Alistair Fidgen in exchange for a Love Potion to sneak into the British Ministry of Magic. They practised using the Invisibility cloak by sneaking around and eavesdropping on professors' conversations.
- "I asked someone special but they haven't answered yet..."
"Yes, same here..."
"I've invited someone special too, but I haven't heard back..."
"There's only one person I'd go with. I'm waiting to hear..."
"I might've suggested that a certain someone should be my date..."
"Um... Well, I... uh..."
- —Barnaby, Penny, Andre, Talbott, and Merula all confessing their romantic love for Jacob's sibling[src]
Jacob's sibling had at one point been considerably popular; during the preparation of Voyages, Vampires, and Valentines!, all of the other invited individuals, Andre Egwu, Penny Haywood, Barnaby Lee, Merula Snyde, and Talbott Winger, had sought them out individually, in the hopes of becoming their date for the event.
|"Well, I think we should put it back in order for them, don't you?"|
Jacob was this individual's older brother. It is implied that they had a rather close and affectionate relationship with him during their early childhood, as they pretended to duel with Liquorice Wands with Jacob when they were younger and even stole Sickles from their mother's coat pockets at his behest. When Jacob came home after his first year of Hogwarts, he tried to teach them all the magic he learned at Hogwarts, of which they were unable to perform any of it, but it remained one of the three possibilities of their happiest memory used to cast the Patronus Charm. After Jacob went mysteriously missing following his expulsion from Hogwarts, his younger sibling was left devastated and mourned his disappearance with their mother. When assaulted by a Dementor, they are forced to relive their worst memory: their mother sobbing uncontrollably upon learning Jacob's disappearance.
Jacob's disappearance also had major repercussions on his sibling outside of family tragedy. Due to his morbid obsession with the Cursed Vaults, subsequent expulsion and apparent initiation into the Death Eaters, Jacob inadvertently established a rather infamous reputation and was perceived as insane by the wizarding world. Being of his kin, his younger sibling, too, was largely viewed by suspicion, distrust and even hate (with Snape and Merula being among their biggest detractors), which thus affected their early years of schooling and ability to make a first good impression on people. Despite all this, however, Jacob's sibling never felt bitter or resentful towards the negative publicity that they received, caused by their brother, and continued to feel nothing but unconditional love for Jacob. Their early years at Hogwarts was marked by agony over the mysterious whereabouts of their brother, thus leading them to resolve to find and rescue him no matter what.
Indeed, this strong, unconditional love for their brother became their primary point of obsession with seeking the Cursed Vaults, inciting them to sometimes behave recklessly and enact dangerous schemes in their goal to save Jacob, such as igniting the cloak of a member of faculty and fighting a troll in the Hogwarts grounds. They would also defend Jacob's honour against accusations and mockery when necessary, refusing to believe the perpetuated rumour that he was insane and had joined the Death Eaters.
After finally rescuing and reuniting their brother in 1989, Jacob's sibling was shown to be incredibly relieved and happy at seeing their brother safe and sound.
Jacob's sibling admired Bill, but not as much as Rowan did. The two became close allies because of how much they had in common and were both very helpful to each other when it came to martial magic.
Jacob's sibling presumably better familiarised themselves with Charlie Weasley in their third year of Hogwarts, during which they shared Care of Magical Creatures with him. Their friendship with him evolved to such that Charlie offered to talk down the imperious Merula Snyde on their behalf during their fourth year.
Jacob's sibling met Rowan Khanna at Diagon Alley. The two became best friends at school. They both bonded over the fact that both of them did not truly have anyone else going into Hogwarts — Jacob's sibling was regarded as insane thanks to their brother's actions, and Rowan was socially inept and mostly talked about trees. They continuously helped each other get through both everyday and life-threatening situations. When Rowan died, they were devastated, and it was hard for them to get over the loss.
Jacob's sibling was quite friendly with Ben Copper, although not as close as Rowan. They cared deeply for his well-being, as they became very worried when he went missing, and showed their loyalty to him by infiltrating Gryffindor Tower merely because it may or may not lead to him. They also helped Ben to get over his fear of flying.
- Penny Haywood: "Thank you again for all of your help. I can't imagine what life would be like without you."
- Jacob's sibling: "I feel the same way, Penny. I'll always be here for you."
- — Penny Haywood and Jacob's sibling[src]
Jacob's sibling admired Penny Haywood for her popularity, kindness, and overall competence. She treated them cordially, but they got her attention by standing up to Merula Snyde. They brewed a potion together to neutralise Mrs Norris. Penny was grateful for Jacob's sibling putting her in a life-threatening situation, as she loved excitement more than they did. She always seemed to know what was going on at Hogwarts, which made her very useful as well. They were surprised when she was close to Talbott Winger.
Jacob's sibling and Tonks met in their first year at Hogwarts, and shared Herbology class together. Over the course of the next couple of years, they grew close and became best friends, often going to Hogsmeade to visit Zonko's Joke Shop in particular in order to plan their pranks together.
Jacob's sibling initially had an antagonistic relationship with Barnaby because of his loyalty to Merula and his threats to them. However, they began getting along better when Barnaby joined their side and Merula later did the same, and when they helped him when Ismelda Murk tried to drug him via Love Potion. He also said Jacob's sibling was very polite and brave and looked adorable when they rolled their eyes in response to his puns and when they discussed animals and ruefully used Engorgement Charms on his drinks at Hogsmeade, though he was under magical effects when he said it.
- "I never thought I'd be happy to meet someone who can never mind their own business."
- —Talbott Winger[src]
Jacob's sibling first met Talbott Winger when looking to become an Animagus. They were surprised to learn he was close to Penny Haywood. They did not, however, become friends until they located Talbott's swan necklace and took it back from Mrs Norris.
Andre attended Transfiguration and Flying classes with Jacob's sibling, although the two didn't know each other a lot and only regarded the other as a classmate. When Jacob's sibling ventured out to Hogsmeade for the first time, Andre properly introduced himself to them and expressed his gratitude for them breaking the cursed ice that had encased him in the Quidditch Changing Rooms, thus unknowingly saving his life.
Jacob's sibling got along with Tulip and they teamed up seeking the Cursed Vaults. Although Tulip had in fact betrayed Merula for a better chance at actually finding the vaults, she later came to regret this and Jacob's sibling helped to ease her guilt, with Merula working with them both in the future. In spite of this, Tulip was surprised that Jacob's sibling did not have a grudge against Merula or distrust her entirely.
Jacob's sibling bonded with Skye over their shared passion for Quidditch, though they were annoyed with her zealous attitude. Both of them were able to work effectively together as two units on the same team over a common objective of winning the House Cup.
Jacob's sibling bonded with Murphy over their shared passion for Quidditch, though they were annoyed with his excessive talking. Both of them were able to work effectively together as two units on the same team over a common objective of winning the House Cup.
Jacob's sibling bonded with Orion over their shared passion for Quidditch, though they were annoyed with his old-fashioned, almost medieval rhetoric. Both of them were able to work effectively together as two units on the same team over a common objective of winning the House Cup.
- "There are so many things at Hogwarts you're not smart enough to understand, [Jacob's sibling]. Trying to uncover those things is going to get you killed..."
- —Merula Snyde[src]
Merula Snyde became the archrival of Jacob's sibling almost immediately upon arriving at Hogwarts. Merula came from a supremacist family and desired to surpass all others, thus she considered herself superior to virtually everyone. She bullied Jacob's sibling for allegedly being cursed, though they did not truly hate Merula and merely wished she would leave them alone. They first met when Merula tried to force Rowan Khanna into claiming she was the most powerful witch in the wizarding world, and she baffled them by already knowing who they were. Jacob's sibling learned she was born of two Death Eaters, and while it made them realise why she was a bully, it did not soften their mutual enmity at all.
They were forced to resort to violence when Merula antagonised them and again when she antagonised Ben Copper. During their first round, Merula bested them with a Trip Jinx, but they bested her the second time via the Disarming Charm. They were forced to challenge her a third time in their second year, and while Merula agreed to no more duelling, she refused to stay off his tail. They were also enemies because they both sought to find the Cursed Vaults, albeit for different reasons. When Jacob's sibling arrived with Rowan Khanna and another friend, she used the Trip Jinx against all three of them, confusing Jacob's sibling who did not understand why she wanted to solve the mystery as much as he did. She believed they were going to meet a sticky end someday.
Despite being enemies, they began getting along better when Patricia Rakepick recruited the both of them as apprentices.
Ismelda used to despise Jacob's sibling for the threat they posed to Merula's chances of finding the Cursed Vaults, but after they helped her resolve her enmity with Erika Rath and her obsession with Barnaby Lee, their relationship grew less hostile.
- "The only thing I value less than you, [Jacob's sibling], is your apology. Sit down."
- —Severus Snape[src]
Jacob's sibling generally had a positive relationship with the staff at Hogwarts, who were all impressed by their academic prowess. However, they were also looked at with apprehension because of Jacob, and was looked at with particular apprehension for their wrongdoings. They generally got along with Filius Flitwick, though he hesitated teaching them the Trip Jinx. They also had a good relationship with Rubeus Hagrid and frequently came to his rescue. Their worst relationship, inevitably, was with Severus Snape, who always treated them with contempt and frequently looked for reasons to take House Points from them. He was never fair with them either, such as when he gave them a single point for making a better potion than Merula Snyde, whom he pretended to like when he actually despised her. Their best relationship was of course with Albus Dumbledore, who openly acknowledged their magical prowess to be exemplary and treated them with nothing but respect and kindness and none of the apprehension the other staff members did for their wrongdoings and actually expressed sympathy for them, to the point where he even gave them House Points for saving Hogwarts from three of the curses of the Cursed Vaults. Even though Dumbledore could get stern and firm with Jacob's sibling, it was for their own good and apart from punishing them to constant detentions with Pitts, he had defended them from practically all of the staff's criticism.
Presumably well aware of the events that lead to the expulsion of former Hogwarts student Jacob long before she ever met his younger sibling, given her own interest in the vaults, Rakepick took interest in the latter individual for their first-hand experience with the Cursed Vaults, and is known to have kept an eye on them, possibly even before she was invited back to Hogwarts by the Headmaster of the day, Albus Dumbledore, to help put the threat of the Cursed Vaults to rest. Though she did not waste any time soliciting the help of said student and their group of friends to make her own, sanctioned search for the vaults easier, and even assured Jacob's sibling she meant them no harm and even were investigating the identity of the mysterious wizard that had attacked them in the Clock Tower Courtyard after curfew by forging a letter with the handwriting of Silvanus Kettleburn. Severus Snape, however, the Potions Master and former schoolmate of Rakepick's, did not trust her at all, going so far as to saying she had ulterior motives for being at Hogwarts and that she was after the Cursed Vaults for her own gain, and quite possibly meant to kill both them and anyone else who stood in her way. Rakepick continued, however, to request the assistance of Jacob's sibling, teaching them the Shield Charm to test their abilities and, getting impressive results, continued to offer guidance, such as lending them her own Niffler to help in the search for clues and eventually teaching them the Spider repelling spell in order to prepare them for a potential fight with Acromantulas.
In the end, however, Snape's suspicions were proven partially correct when she fooled Jacob's sibling into breaking into the office of Argus Filch for a wild goose chase, only to swoop in and retrieve something she herself had been looking for. This eventually left Jacob's sibling uncertain if Rakepick can be trusted or if they are playing right into the hand of their potential enemy. Rakepick did redeem herself for her indiscretions, however, when she saved the life of Jacob's sibling by coming to their rescue just as their attacker was about to deliver the coup de grace, casting a Blasting Curse so powerful that the attacker was blasted backwards, across almost the whole length of the Clocktower Courtyard and into a wall, knocking them out cold. Upon undoing the Disillusionment Charm the attacker was under, they discovered that the person in question was Ben Copper, whom Rakepick transported back into the castle to prevent him from hurting himself or others while Jacob's sibling went after the Forest Vault.
Behind the scenes
- This individual is the protagonist of Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Name, surname, gender, House and physical appearance are chosen by the player. The wand material also varies based on the player's goals and personality traits. Jacob's sibling's relationships, personality and choices may vary significantly depending on the player's decisions.
- According to the first book, Slytherin had won the House Cup the six years before Gryffindor's win in Harry Potter's first year, 1992 (in 1986 through 1991). The fact that this individual's house is player-determined and that they are able to help their house win the House Cup can potentially cause a contradiction to the established canon of the books, by having another house win the Cup in those school years.
- In the game, the player can play through a time-limit Animagus side quest to learn the ability, convince Talbott Winger to register with the Ministry. However, in the Flying Solo sidequest, they are both unregistered as of Year 4, both have concerns about being found by Lord Voldemort and Death Eaters, even if Jacob's sibling can decide to voluntarily register at a later date.
- In the official launch trailer of the game, Penny Haywood says, "Thanks, Maya! I know this plan is going to work." From this, we can assume that the original name of this character is Maya.
- In the 1984–1985 school year, Jacob's sibling had visions showing Hogwarts covered in ice and an animated suit of armour. Their best friend, Rowan Khanna, said while discussing the vision with them later that "it appeared to have been some kind of prophecy", suggesting Jacob's sibling might be a Seer. Although, since Rowan was only a first-year, they might have been wrong. However, the incident with the Cursed ice later on hints that Jacob's sibling could indeed be a Seer. Jacob's sibling's later had another vision of two unknown rooms and Lord Voldemort, suggesting that this individual were a Seer. They later also hears brief spoken messages from Jacob in their mind, both of which were later revealed to be a result of how both they and Jacob had in common a natural gift in Legilimency, suggesting that Jacob might have used said ability to send them vibes, which is a similar but distinct process.
- Jacob's sibling may also occasionally receive precognitions of what the opponent's next spell would be in duelling.
- In the Beta mode of the game, there was a character named William. William was meant to be the name of the player's older brother. However, every scene where the name William was mentioned was replaced by the name Jacob in the final cut of the game. It's unknown whether William was intended to be the original name of Jacob or whether he was another character cut from the game.
- As Jacob's sibling, you can also become an Animagus; depending on how you answer Penny's question, you can become a cat, a dog, or a bird.
- When playing Gobstones against Tonks, Jacob's sibling jokes that they might also be a Metamorphmagus, a tongue-in-cheek reference to the fact that the player can change the physical features of the character at any time they want.
- In the fifth year, you can choose to sit O.W.L. through a side quest. You gain a minimum of seven Acceptable's, even if you fail to answer any question or perform any tasks. The maximum number of Outstanding grades is in the following seven subjects:
- Care of Magical Creatures
- History of Magic
- Defence Against the Dark Arts
- Divination and Astronomy are never acknowledged in the quest despite the fact that Jacob's sibling most likely got O.W.L.s in those subjects as well as they were able to continue them in their sixth year.
- Jacob's sibling might be bisexual since (regardless of selected gender) they have the option of fancying and/or dating male and female characters.
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (First appearance)
Notes and references
- ↑ Both their parents were wizards, so they were not Muggle-born.
- ↑ "World Exclusive Interview with J K Rowling," South West News Service, 8 July 2000 - "Hogwarts just serves Britain and Ireland."
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 5, Side Quest "All-Wizard Tournament"
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 4, "Become a Prefect" Achievement - This event is time-limited and optional; Jacob's sibling does not necessarily become a prefect. They also couldn't have canonically been one as a Gryffindor male, as Charles Weasley was the male Gryffindor Prefect of their year.
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Side Quest "Head Boys and Girls" - This event is time-limited and optional; Jacob's sibling does not necessarily become a Head Boy or Girl.
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 2, Quidditch Season 1, Chapter 6 (The Chase is On)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 3, Quidditch Season 2, Chapter 2 (Andre Egwu, Quidditch Wizard)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 1, "Christmas at Hogwarts" Achievement - Part 1, Side Quest "The Christmas Holidays"
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 3, Chapter 7 (Jacob's Room)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 3, "The Frog Choir" Achievement - This event is time-limited and optional; Jacob's sibling has the option to get on the Frog Choir or suggest Merula Snyde as a member. Regardless, his spot in the choir is secured by Professor Flitwick, because Chester, Ravenclaw's Prefect would graduate at the end of Merula's 3rd year.
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 1, Side Quest "Hogwarts Clubs"
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 12.3 12.4 12.5 12.6 12.7 Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 20 (A Circle of Friends)
- ↑ They were forbidden from riding brooms as a child because it was illegal. As we see with the Weasleys, riding brooms outside school does not constitute a breach of the Decree for the Reasonable Restriction of Underage Sorcery, but if they lived near Muggles, then flying brooms might constitute a breach of the International Statute of Wizarding Secrecy, which would be far worse.
- ↑ They do not know what a car is in the "A Very Weasley Christmas" sidequest.
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 1, Chapter 1 (Your Journey Begins)
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 1, Chapter 2 (Welcome To Hogwarts)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 1, Chapter 2 (Welcome To Hogwarts) - Charms Lesson "Lumos"
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 1, Chapter 2 (Welcome To Hogwarts) - Potions Lesson "Cure for Boils Potion"
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 1, Chapter 3 (Dealing With Trouble)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 1, Chapter 5 (The Duel)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 1, Chapter 6 (A Curious Corridor)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 1, Side Quest "Hallowe'en Feast"
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 2, Chapter 1 (Year Two Begins)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 2, Chapter 2 (Growing and Shrinking)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 2, Chapter 3 (The Black Quill)
- ↑ Although not yet available in Year 3, the Care of Magical Creatures and Divination classrooms are unlockable in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Hogwarts students take elective classes in their third year.
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 3, Chapter 1 (Year Three Begins)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 3, Chapter 3 (Three Broomsticks)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 3, Chapter 4 (Filching from Filch)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 3, Chapter 5 (Tulip Karasu)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 3, Chapter 6 (The Letter from No One)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 3, Chapter 8 (Barnaby Lee)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 4, Chapter 1 (Year Four Begins)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 4, Chapter 1 (Year Four Begins) - Private Charms Lesson "Shield Charm"
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 4, Chapter 4 (Curse-Breakers)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 4, Chapter 2 (The Mysterious Madam Rakepick)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 4, Chapter 3 (All About Bowtruckles)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 4, Chapter 5 (Time to Fly)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 4, Chapter 6 (Explore the Forbidden Forest)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 5, Chapter 1 (Year Five Begins)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 5, Chapter 2 (Grave Danger)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 5, "Ordinary Wizarding Levels" Achievement
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Divination Classroom and Astronomy classroom are unlockable locations in Year 6.
- ↑ 44.0 44.1 Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 1 (Year Six Begins) - Transfiguration Lesson "Cauldron Cakes to Cabbages"
- ↑ 45.0 45.1 Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 1 (Year Six Begins) - Charms Lesson "Drought Charm"
- ↑ 46.0 46.1 Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 2 (Curses and Prophecies)
- ↑ 47.0 47.1 Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 2 (Curses and Prophecies) - Herbology Lesson "Fluxweed"
- ↑ 48.0 48.1 Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 2 (Curses and Prophecies) - History of Magic Lesson "History of Wandlore"
- ↑ 49.0 49.1 Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 3 (Mixed Message) - Potions Lesson "Wound Cleaning Potion"
- ↑ 50.0 50.1 Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 3 (Mixed Message) - Care of Magical Creatures Lesson "Glumbumble"
- ↑ 51.0 51.1 In Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 5 (Wherefore Art Thou, Weasleys?), Bill Weasley noted that Jacob's sibling and their class had a useless teacher for that year, with this revealing that Jacob's sibling had proceeded to take N.E.W.T.-level Defence Against the Dark Arts.
- ↑ 52.0 52.1 Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 25 (Written in the Stars)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 18 (Into the Forest)
- ↑ 54.0 54.1 Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 19 (A Farewell To A Friend)
- ↑ On every loading screen, Jacob's sibling is seen from a backview.
- ↑ During his tenure as Potions Master, Severus Snape only accepted students who achieved an 'Outstanding' on their O.W.L.s into his N.E.W.T.-level Potions classes. Since Jacob's sibling was able to advance to N.E.W.T.-level Potions, they must have canonically achieved an 'Outstanding' in their O.W.L. exam.
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 3, "Become an Animagus" Achievement - Player-determined. Can become a brown dog, a Black And White Cat or an eagle.
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 5, "Valentine's Day" Achievement - Part 2, Side Quest "Heartfelt Invitations"