The Janus Thickey Ward (otherwise known as Ward 49) was a ward located in St Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries on the fourth floor that treated permanent spell damage, such as permanent jinxes, hexes, and incorrectly-applied spells. The ward was named after Janus Thickey, a wizard who attempted to fake his own death by framing a Lethifold attack.
Herbert Chorley, Muggle Junior Minister, was admitted to the hospital, afflicted with a badly-performed Imperius Curse. The spell caused him to impersonate a duck. While being treated at the hospital, he tried to strangle some Healers.
Professor Minerva McGonagall was admitted to this floor after receiving four Stunning Spells to the chest at the hands of Dolores Umbridge. Nymphadora Tonks was a patient here after her battle with Bellatrix Lestrange in 1996. Someone who was there at the same time as the Weasley family had shoes that his brother had jinxed to bite his feet.
Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger, and Ginny Weasley inadvertently visited this floor on Christmas day, 1995. While there they encountered Gilderoy Lockhart on the stairs and accompanied him to this ward, where he was staying. There — in the long-term residents' ward — Miriam Strout oversaw patients whose brains had been permanently affected by magic. Other residents of this ward included Broderick Bode and a witch named Agnes, as well as Frank and Alice Longbottom. During their visit, they ran into Neville and his grandmother and learned for the first time what had happened to them.
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 23 (Christmas on the Closed Ward) - "This is our long-term resident ward" [...] "For permanent spell damage" [...] "Gilderoy does seem to be getting back some sense of himself, and we've seen a real improvement in Mr Bode" [...] "Here you are, Agnes" [...] "Is that your dad down the end, Neville?" [...] "Neville's mother had come edging down the ward in her nightdress."
- Quidditch Through the Ages
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 23 (Christmas on the Closed Ward) - "The Healer pointed her wand at the door of the Janus Thickey ward and muttered 'Alohomora'."
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 23 (Christmas on the Closed Ward) - "the Healer, taking Lockhart's arm and beaming fondly at him as though he were a precocious two-year-old".
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Chapter 23 (Christmas on the Closed Ward)
|St Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries|
|Founder Mungo Bonham|
|St Mungo's Admissions Department · Poisoning Department · Janus Thickey Ward · 'Dangerous' Dai Llewellyn Ward: Serious Bites · Purge and Dowse, Ltd|
|Positions||Healer · Mediwizard · Trainee Healer · Welcome Witch · Entrance dummy|
|Healers||Omar Abasi · Dilys Derwent · Lancelot · Rutherford Poke · Augustus Pye · Hippocrates Smethwyck · Helbert Spleen · Miriam Strout · Talbott Winger's mother|
|Katie Bell · Herbert Chorley · John Dawlish · Gordon Horton · Minerva McGonagall · Montgomery · Laura Thorn · Nymphadora Tonks · Arthur Weasley · Grubby-looking St Mungo's patient · Bitten St Mungo's patient · Winged St Mungo's patient · Unidentified St Mungo's patient · Unidentified werewolf|
|Long-term residents||Agnes · Alice Longbottom · Frank Longbottom · Gilderoy Lockhart · Broderick Bode (deceased)|